A question on calories when dieting and cardio is been added to workout routine

Long_2010

Hi,

Im looking to drop fat in about 6 weeks time, This might seem like a dumb question but this is the place to get the correct answers.

My calorie intake needs to be around 3500 a day to maintain what I have at the present time,

Question 1, If I was to do a a cutting diet what should my calories be dropped too
Question 2, Adding cardio to the equazion in the am and post workout is going to burn more calories, so would calories need to be added for this, becuase I don't wan't to eat into muscle.

Anyone who can explain this would be great. Thank you.

If your maintenance is truly 3500kcal, then eat 2500-3000kcal a day to lose 1-2lbs in a week. If you're worried about muscle loss, track your body fat percentages with calipers. Even if the calipers are inaccurate, it'll give you a good idea as to what kind of body composition you are losing.

Cardio is completely optional. It's nice, but not absolutely necessary. Usually the people that resort to cardio are the ones with a really low BMR. If you can eat a fairly decent amount of food and still lose quite a bit of fat, then do that instead. :)

Im just under 3500 a day so I thought id round it up.

Thanks for answering my questions :)

Your help is appriciated

Hi,

Im looking to drop fat in about 6 weeks time, This might seem like a dumb question but this is the place to get the correct answers.

My calorie intake needs to be around 3500 a day to maintain what I have at the present time,

Question 1, If I was to do a a cutting diet what should my calories be dropped too
Question 2, Adding cardio to the equazion in the am and post workout is going to burn more calories, so would calories need to be added for this, becuase I don't wan't to eat into muscle.

Anyone who can explain this would be great. Thank you.

If trying to drop fat u need to go 500 calories below your TDEE, if u add cardio depending on the intensity & how many calories your burning, you'll need to adjust yoru TDEE accordingly.. your activity level (frequency/instensity of training & cardio) play a role when determing your TDEE.

If you are worried about eating your muscle with cardio, keep in mind that when doing cardio exercise, energy is burnt in this order:

1) Carbohydrates (both stored and direct from foods)
2) Fats (from foods and as stored cells)
3) Proteins (amino acids from muscle tissue)

So u want to aim for staying in the 1 & 2 stages, as a geneal rule u eant to keep medium to high intensity cardio less than an hour, as this any med/high intensity cardio over an hour could shift yoru body into a muscle burning state.

Last edited:
If trying to drop fat u need to go 500 calories below your TDEE, if u add cardio depending on the intensity & how many calories your burning, you'll need to adjust yoru TDEE accordingly.. your activity level (frequency/instensity of training & cardio) play a role when determing your TDEE.

If you are worried about eating your muscle with cardio, keep in mind that when doing cardio exercise, energy is burnt in this order:

So u want to aim for staying in the 1 & 2 stages, as a geneal rule u eant to keep medium to high intensity cardio less than an hour, as this any med/high intensity cardio over an hour could shift yoru body into a muscle burning state.

good advice

Thank you Mrs P!!!

Great advice :)

Thank you!!

intermittent fasting + Calorie/Carb cycling diet (with a weekly caloric deficit) + weight training + maybe some cardio but NOT a must IMO = Fat Loss

Back