Add One Inch To Your Arms In 3 Workouts

StoneColdNTO

Administrator
I found this article while surfing MSN this morning, an interesting read.

by Pete Sisco
From our partner, AskMen.com

Every guy wants bigger arms. There really is no body part that says "big and powerful" as clearly and obviously as a big pair of python arms.

I get a ton of e-mail from guys wanting to maximize their arm training. I've created optimized routines for many, but if you want a "quick and dirty" method that delivers high-intensity overload and results that you've never experienced before ... here it is.

The big hurdle: First I'm going to reveal the biggest hurdle most people face when attempting to increase their workout intensity and their progress in the gym. This first step results from the fact — yes, fact — that over 90% of the regular trainees in your gym are overtraining. And once the body is in an over-trained condition, no routine can help.

The first priority of your body is to fully recover. Then, and only then, will it go to work creating new muscle. So step one of my Add One Inch to your Arms Workout is to take two weeks off all strength training. I can hear the groans now. "But I need to work out three times a week." No, you don't.

More than likely, you've turned a love of the gym into a too-frequent training schedule. Hey, if I liked getting my hair cut, it wouldn't help me to go to a barber three times a week. Growth takes time. That's a fact you need to face if you want to train rationally.

So if you lack the mental toughness to handle the above hurdle, you might as well stop reading this. This routine won't do anything for guys in an over-trained state. These are the guys who haven't added any size to their arms in months. But they train more than anyone else. See the connection?

The exception, of course, is for guys just starting out and for guys who understand training frequency and have adjusted their training days to compensate for their ever-increasing intensity of workouts. Those wonderful people can do this workout today.

The workout

Years ago I conducted a study to measure the relative intensity of all the common arm exercises (as well as other body part exercises). This brief article won't permit the space to explain all that was measured and analyzed so I'm going to give you the conclusions. These exercises will add the most muscle to your biceps, triceps and forearms. Guaranteed.

Biceps

Seated Biceps Curl: Sit on a bench and rest a barbell in your lap. Take a shoulder-width underhand grip on the bar and curl it upward toward your chin. Use a weight that is so heavy you can only perform eight reps.

This exercise allows you to use more weight than you normally would because the seated position limits the range of motion. Try to curl 150% of your normal biceps curl weight. Perform one set of eight reps, rest 30 seconds, then increase the weight 10% and perform as many reps as you can.

Triceps

Close-Grip Bench Press: Do yourself a big favor and perform this exercise in a power rack or on a Smith machine. Limit the range of motion to the top third of your range. By limiting the range of motion you will be able to hoist a much heavier weight and it's that big weight -- not the range of motion -- that triggers new muscle growth.

Grip the bar with your hands spaced about six inches apart and contract your triceps to lift the bar off the support and to full extension. Use a weight that is so heavy, you can only perform eight reps. Again, with this restricted range you should be able to use at least 50% more weight than normal. Perform one set of eight reps, rest 30 seconds, then increase the weight 10% and perform as many reps as you can.

Forearms

Forearms tend to be neglected in most workouts but these two exercises are fabulous at generating an awesome intensity of overload to these highly visible and impressive muscles.

Seated Wrist Curls: These are performed from the same position as the biceps exercise, above. With an underhand grip on a barbell, rest your wrists on your knees so your hands extend beyond your knees. Allow the weight of the bar to force your wrist toward the floor. Use your forearm muscles to power the weight back up. Perform one set of eight reps, rest 30 seconds then increase the weight 10% and perform as many reps as you can.

Wrist Curls Behind the Back: These are performed by holding a barbell behind your back with your palms facing backward. It helps to have the bar on a rack to start or to have a training partner place the bar in your hands. The heavy bar will naturally hang down and your wrists will be in a relaxed position.

Use your forearm muscles to power the weight up by bending your wrists. You can use a lot more weight on this exercise than you think you can. Go heavy. Don't worry about getting a full range of motion. Perform one set of eight reps, rest 30 seconds then increase the weight 10% and perform as many reps as you can.

Each time you perform the four exercises in this arm workout, try to increase your weights by 15-25%. Doing the same workout each time gets you nowhere. It's all about making progress. Progress drives new muscle growth.

Buy some bigger shirts

Perform the above workout three times over the next 12 days. Avoid any other arm training during this time. You can also train your other muscle groups and perform all the low intensity aerobics you want during this time. But remember, if you started this program in an over-trained condition, you won't see results.

Done the exact way described, this routine will add new muscle strength and very significant size to even the most developed arms.

Train smart!

thanks for posting...I never work my arms out they just keep growing from doing normal exercises, bi's from back, tris from all da pushin'.

Achilles said:
thanks for posting...I never work my arms out they just keep growing from doing normal exercises, bi's from back, tris from all da pushin'.

I hate guys like you :D

Seriously though, just think of the growth you could get out of your arms if you did directly train them !!

Not a single bodypart of mine goes unworked, due to growing doing other things, including forearms. They just shrivvle if I dont work them, same with everything else.

yea i have given the SCT and PFT training that guy preaches a 3 month test and didn't see those kind of results. I so better results on many muscle groups with orthodoxed lifting. I did gain some knowledge through that experiment though. I now perform many of my lifts with limited range of movement, and to seem to get much better results. I have cut most of the range of movement out on all lifts except squats. I just get such an intense workout with my full range 20 rep squats that i see no need in fixing what isnt broken. Anyways it already kills me for 3-4 days after the workout i couldn't imagine it would do me any good to increase the workload i put on my legs. I also use some of the stuff that SCT guy preached about recovery times. On most body parts i give them a week to recover but my legs get so destroyed that i give them like 10 days to grow.

Back