Alcohol's Effects on Testosterone

jtvision

I had always read that alcohol lowered your test substantially. Which didn't seem to make much sense because when your at the bar everyone is fired up and wants to fight.

Alcohol's Effects on Testosterone

Also, none of the articles Ive read actually explain how booze lowers your test. Anyone care to inform us?

Last edited:
i read an article saying the reason for that is because the body is trying to raise its test levels back up while your still drinking which is why you also get horny when you drink

Hello,
Testosterone is the hormone that gives men their lean and angular physique. However, this fat loss effect of testosterone is reduced on the consumption of alcohol.

Thanks
Ellen Lathi

First and foremost, alcohol is a poison and your body must fight to get it out of your system. It directly impairs liver function thus severely hampering your metabolism of fat. If fat loss is your main goal moderation is a key.
When your liver is processing alcohol it will stop all other metabolic functions. It will do so until it rids your body of ethanol toxicity which is the by product of alcoholic consumption. This process leads many times to stubborn fat, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and syndrome X.

Drinking in excess will also contribute to fat gain not loss. If you think you are going to gain muscle mass while drinking think again! Your liver is too busy doing something it does not want to do, process alcohol instead of amino acids. In addition, alcohol reduces testosterone.

Think about how much you consume and the caloric value of each drink. Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram. This is almost twice that of carbohydrates and protein and just under the 9 grams per calorie for fat. Here is an example: consuming 2-3 drinks a day can add up to over 400 calories extra each and every day. Multiply that by one week and you are over 2700 calories extra. That is over a half a pound.

According to studies drinking alcohol increases visceral adipose tissue. This is the fat around your body organs. NOT HEALTHY! Other studies suggest alcohol consumption increases and stimulates appetite.

Consuming alcohol again stops all fat burning, adds extra calories, increases estrogen level (stubborn fat), increases appetite and makes you more easily persuaded to eat that entire cheese cake.

There are some simple guidelines you can follow that will not only help you stay on the fat burning path, but will encourage better overall health.

Drinking red wine is much better for you then drinking beer. Red wine contains some good things that can benefit your health. On the other hand consuming beer, which contains hops and are highly estrogenic, will lead to more fat gain and harder fat loss.

Try to stay away from extra sweet drinks with added sugars. This will keep your blood sugar from a massive spike while having a drink.
The more food you have in your belly the slower the absorption. It also aids in insulin regulation. Avoid high carbohydrates snack with alcohol. It carries many metabolic problems like insulin elevation and high fat levels in your blood stream.

Below is a list of good to bad:

Alcohol
1. Red wine - Best
2. White wine
3. Champagne
4. Vodka
5. Gin
6. Rum
7. Whiskey
8. Cognac
9. Sweet wines
10. Sweet mixed drinks
11. Liqueurs
12. BEER! Worst

Some common problems with alcohol consumption are:

Reduced testosterone
Increased estrogen
Increased hydration
Inability to absorb vital nutrients
In summary, I would suggest eating an anti-estrogenic, well- balanced diet and minimize alcohol consumption until you reach your fat loss goals. This will also aid in your quest for a set of six pack abs.

ALL HAIL MAXIMUS!!!!!!

I had always read that alcohol lowered your test substantially. Which didn't seem to make much sense because when your at the bar everyone is fired up and wants to fight.

alcohol lowers inhibition ( social lubricant ) and lowers impulse control ( beer muscles )

these effects are not related to hormones and are related to how alcohol affects the brain.

to really boil it down to simple logic it alcohol affects same part of the brain that in males doesn't finish developing well into their mid 20's. this is same part of the brain that makes young males impulsive etc ...

frontal lobe. some times stable older married men with families sometimes injure this part of brain TBI ( traumatic brain injury ) and suddenly become impulsive, gambling, high risk sex etc ...

for some a drink or two is fine while on hormones but many guys binge drink while on cycle and to me this is a bad idea for too many reasons to list.

Great read, thanks for the info. Although I don't think I'm going to be able to give up my Budweiser and sunday football, just a few extra minutes on the treadmill and I should be alright..:cool:

Below is a list of good to bad:

Alcohol
1. Red wine - Best
2. White wine
3. Champagne
4. Vodka
5. Gin
6. Rum
7. Whiskey
8. Cognac
9. Sweet wines
10. Sweet mixed drinks
11. Liqueurs
12. BEER! Worst

Would you rate tequila closer to Vodka or Whiskey?

I'm a Wiskey guy, i used to get with diet just to avoid the insulin spike. Now i will sip a couple of drinks on the rocks. It can be hard to be out with people and be the only one not drinking.

Ocasional glass of red wine on sunday night dinner also...

Ive always known though no alcohol Is best

Back