Are there side effects to LOW Prolactin ?

oldmusclemike

So due to my use of Deca and my Prozac I have had high Prolactin levels. The high level and maybe my age was making it almost impossible to reach orgasm. Talk about frustration.

I came to the knowledge that Prozac was a contributor to high prolactin levels. My doctor prescribed Cabergoline after I asked him. I now use the Cabergoline and have stopped my Prozac. Ha that's giving a real problem and I have to get on another medication before something bad happens like usually does. Just for you all s maybe concern I did plug the Prozac back in.

I just got the results of my Prolactin blood work and I am at - .4 and the low range is +4.0. I haven't experienced any side effects from this low prolactin level but am wondering what negative effect could this cause.

Depends probably on how much you are taking. If a low dose of cabergoline, there shouldn't be an issue. Higher doses can increase the risk of engaging in certain risky or addictive behaviors.

Thanks Meg for your input. I a very aquatinted with addictive behavior as I have stated being an opiate and other for most of my life.

Now clean from those drugs over 5 years I still have a tendency to abuse AAS.

Now as per the Caber it took a higher dose , approved by my doctor to get it under control. I attribute the difficulty due to the Prozac. Rest assured that I am not going to abuse the Caber. I don't get off on it or does it make me cum better hence why would I ??

I want to clarify my Question...what kind of unwanted sides would a low, very low would Prolactin level cause IF ANY ?

Last edited:
Sorry Mike, I can't help with your prolactin question but, Prozac is an SSRI. that makes orgasm difficult to achieve. I would recommend Wellbutrin.

I am not aware of any negative side effects of low prolactin in males.

Just remember that the cabergoline raises your dopamine levels.

Sorry Mike, I can't help with your prolactin question but, Prozac is an SSRI. that makes orgasm difficult to achieve. I would recommend Wellbutrin.

Thanks I am aware of the SSRI. I don't know anything about Wellbrutrin and will ask my psych doc next visit. I tell you I am so scared of changing my depression medicine since I have been on it for so many years. AND ya gotta know, if it aint broke ( my depression) then don't fix it.

But I tell you it is so fvcking hard to handle chasing the orgasm and not getting there. That in itself can be depressing and frustrating.

OK thank you Meg for your answer

Thanks

Last edited:
So due to my use of Deca and my Prozac I have had high Prolactin levels. The high level and maybe my age was making it almost impossible to reach orgasm. Talk about frustration.

I came to the knowledge that Prozac was a contributor to high prolactin levels. My doctor prescribed Cabergoline after I asked him. I now use the Cabergoline and have stopped my Prozac. Ha that's giving a real problem and I have to get on another medication before something bad happens like usually does. Just for you all s maybe concern I did plug the Prozac back in.

I just got the results of my Prolactin blood work and I am at - .4 and the low range is +4.0. I haven't experienced any side effects from this low prolactin level but am wondering what negative effect could this cause.

have you been able to bust one lately?

have you been able to bust one lately?

Yes, I have for me the very low even out of range Prolactin hasn't hurt me at all. My doctor hasn't shown any concern. Again me, I have a hard time getting there if my prolactin is even mid to higher range and even inside the range. Age is causing me some problems naturally.

I haven't met with the doc to ask. I had called to get my results from my nurse Practitioner and she didn't 't express it to be a problem. Hanks for asking.

Yes, I have for me the very low even out of range Prolactin hasn't hurt me at all. My doctor hasn't shown any concern. Again me, I have a hard time getting there if my prolactin is even mid to higher range and even inside the range. Age is causing me some problems naturally.

I haven't met with the doc to ask. I had called to get my results from my nurse Practitioner and she didn't 't express it to be a problem. Hanks for asking.

when are you meeting with your doc?

I am not aware of any negative side effects of low prolactin in males.

Just remember that the cabergoline raises your dopamine levels.

there was a study that was done that showed low prolactin can cause ED, but some studies are crazy and have too many factors to pinpoint this as a cause

also, with the dopamine levels, what does this mean ? can you elaborate on this a bit more?? does it mean coming off caber will cause depression??

there was a study that was done that showed low prolactin can cause ED, but some studies are crazy and have too many factors to pinpoint this as a cause

also, with the dopamine levels, what does this mean ? can you elaborate on this a bit more?? does it mean coming off caber will cause depression??

I have not seen that study (please post it), but I have seen studies showing that cabergoline can be used as an effective treatment for erectile dysfunction.

International Journal of Impotence Research - Cabergoline treatment in men with psychogenic erectile dysfunction: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-lookup/doi/10.1210/jc.2003-030852

Cabergoline is a Dopamine Agonist. When you come off it your Dopamine levels will decrease which can result in not feeling as happy. You can also experience DAWS (Dopamine Agonist Withdrawal Syndrome).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23686524

Low prolactin has been associated with a bunch of stuff related to sexual dysfunction (fertility issues, ED, etc) for a few years now. Discussed in detail in this review paper.

Last edited:
Low prolactin has been associated with a bunch of stuff related to sexual dysfunction (fertility issues, ED, etc) for a few years now. Discussed in detail in this review paper.

Thanks ^^^ all you guys for your input.

My only problem that I seem to have had was low semen fluid volume. Like almost nothing.
I'm gonna get back regular with my Prozac which I had to anyway ( don't do good without) and back off the Caber a little so as to bring the Prolactin back up a little.

I haven't gotten with the doc yet to change to Wellbrutrin .

I have not seen that study (please post it), but I have seen studies showing that cabergoline can be used as an effective treatment for erectile dysfunction.

International Journal of Impotence Research - Cabergoline treatment in men with psychogenic erectile dysfunction: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-lookup/doi/10.1210/jc.2003-030852

Cabergoline is a Dopamine Agonist. When you come off it your Dopamine levels will decrease which can result in not feeling as happy. You can also experience DAWS (Dopamine Agonist Withdrawal Syndrome).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23686524

thanks meta.... im not sure if i posted here but i was always sketchy on using caber for this reason.... i always controlled prolactin by controlling estro... but always wanted to give caber a try..... is there any way to combat this withdrawel symptoms (Apart from tapering down dose) ? possibly 5htp?

thanks meta.... im not sure if i posted here but i was always sketchy on using caber for this reason.... i always controlled prolactin by controlling estro... but always wanted to give caber a try..... is there any way to combat this withdrawel symptoms (Apart from tapering down dose) ? possibly 5htp?

I have never had a problem coming off a DA. And I don't taper off. I suspect that people who get DAWS are the ones with Parkinson's taking big doses.

Thanks ^^^ all you guys for your input.

My only problem that I seem to have had was low semen fluid volume. Like almost nothing.
I'm gonna get back regular with my Prozac which I had to anyway ( don't do good without) and back off the Caber a little so as to bring the Prolactin back up a little.

I haven't gotten with the doc yet to change to Wellbrutrin .

I think you'll be happy with the Wellbutrin. I had that same problems with not being able to have an orgasm. Now I'm blowing loads all over the place lol. I take 100Mg's twice a day.

Back