BA and bacteria??

kojie

Geek bodybuilder
im digging up some research on this and wonder if you can help me guys...

basically w/c bateria can survive w/ BA ??

some links would be nice

thanks

do a google saearch and read away. there is literally days worth of reading on this topic.

here's the short on it though. ba is an antimicrobial. that means it inhibits microbial growth. its a preservative. it does however kill a few strains of bacteria but is ineffective against gram negative bacteria. anyone who tells you that ba is a sterilizing agent is totally lost. it is a descent solvent and a great preservative at 1-2% total volume.

enjoy you studies.

while you at it read up on bb, peg, pg, and bac water. these are all you prolly ever need for home brewing.

yep im with you on this one pb... im just looking for certain studies on it...

do you have any links to that, about gram neg. bacteria not being killed.

thanks

here is one from pubmed :

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=1501596&dopt=Abstract

Bacterial uptake of 14C-chlorhexidine diacetate and 14C-benzyl alcohol and the influence of phenoxyethanol and azolectin: studies with gram-negative bacteria.

Fitzgerald KA, Davies A, Russell AD.

Welsh School of Pharmacy, University of Wales College of Cardiff, Great Britain.

The uptake of 14C-chlorhexidine (14C-CHA) by Pseudomonas aeruginosa and smooth, rough and deep rough strains of Escherichia coli was very rapid with maximum uptake occurring within 20 s. Despite the rapid binding, the lethal action of CHA, although concentration-dependent, is comparatively slow and occurs in minutes rather than seconds. This indicates that the initial rapid binding is followed by a second slower action, responsible for the lethal effects of CHA. The lethal action could be accelerated, particularly at modest concentrations of CHA, by the simultaneous presence of phenoxyethanol (POE) or benzyl alcohol (BZA), although the magnitude of the effect was small. Both alcohols had little effect on the binding of 14C-CHA, which does not explain the enhanced bactericidal action of CHA. Uptake of 14C-benzyl alcohol (14C-BZA) by the same strains showed very different patterns with slower and time-related binding. CHA had a marked effect on BZA absorption but no direct link was established between binding patterns and cell death. The CHA neutraliser, azolectin, removed bound CHA (in the presence or absence of POE) very efficiently even at contact times of only 20 s.

PMID: 1501596 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

if im reading this right, this article basically says what pb has mentioned ??

bro there are 1000s of studies on sterility issues. i dont have any saved. but it dont take but a minute to find them with google.

type in "gram negative bacteria benzyl alcohol"

pullinbig said:
bro there are 1000s of studies on sterility issues. i dont have any saved. but it dont take but a minute to find them with google.

type in "gram negative bacteria benzyl alcohol"

found a couple its in my previous post got if from pubmed and it does agree to what you have mentioned above.

thanks bro

kojie said:
found a couple its in my previous post got if from pubmed and it does agree to what you have mentioned above.

thanks bro

would i lie? =0) and if i am wrong i would be screwed since i been doing high doses for years of my own gear. i do what i make. well used to. pb labs is defunct now. kinda nice really though. one less thang to worry about., well actually several less thangs to worry about. =0l

um if you're dissolveing in everclear, alcohol pretty much kills everything, and the high doses of gear in the solution will pretty much kill anything. i mean if you want you could bring it to a boil, and then cool the solution to ensure that you remove most of the microbes (except for bacteria spores and fungi, if there is any). eh you're body's immune system needs some practice, might as well give it some new targets to beat the shit out of.

the lowdown on things

so basically if ba is the preservative and not the core killer of bacteria,

the whatman filter is the main factor that gets rid of (filters) out the bacteria from going into the prepared vial?

i'm guessing this is true but just wanted to make sure.

thanx.

old timer said:

the whatman filter is the main factor that gets rid of (filters) out the bacteria from going into the prepared vial?

thanx.

Actually what truely sterilzes the final solution is the baking of the product.

old timer said:

thanx.
exactly. although some little bacteria can pass through a whatman... I dont bake, havnet died yet either.

DougoeFre5h said:
exactly. although some little bacteria can pass through a whatman... I dont bake, havnet died yet either.

Really? Interesting. Just filter and shoot huh?

you get my PM?

tangent930 said:
um if you're dissolveing in everclear, alcohol pretty much kills everything, and the high doses of gear in the solution will pretty much kill anything. i mean if you want you could bring it to a boil, and then cool the solution to ensure that you remove most of the microbes (except for bacteria spores and fungi, if there is any). eh you're body's immune system needs some practice, might as well give it some new targets to beat the shit out of.

um......were talking about injectables. and since when does high doses of gear in a solution kill anything?

we talking about getting rid of bacteria.

my immune system dont do well aginst some of the bacteria out there. so i aint gonna chance it.

pullinbig said:
would i lie? =0) and if i am wrong i would be screwed since i been doing high doses for years of my own gear. i do what i make. well used to. pb labs is defunct now. kinda nice really though. one less thang to worry about., well actually several less thangs to worry about. =0l

:eek2: What happened?

DougoeFre5h said:

My problem with the 'don't bake' crowd is that baking doesn't harm the gear itself and only adds a couple of hours to the entire process. In other words, there really isn't any downside to doing it, and major downsides to not doing it.

It's like saying, I've never buckled up in a car and I've yet to have a problem. Me, I'll bake it.

There are VERY FEW guys like pullinbig around, and when they talk they know what they are talking about.

TxLonghorn said:
:eek2: What happened?

balco, barry bonds, marion jones, mike giombi. all these ass holes are stupid. uhhh...... i didnt really think it was testosterone cypinoate. i mean the bottle had that label on it but i thought......

everytime the news is on, steroids.

bnush said "people who use steroids lack charcater" coming from him that really hurt. :flipoffha

me and wifey (mostly wifey) decided to close up shop. i am just one of the boys now. =0)

i gotta pay like everyone else now. =0(

Back