Back after Injury - need a bit of advice

Tysus

Three years ago I had reached what I thought was my genetic potential (no gear). I'm 6'1, weighed 230, drifted between 7-9% BF (depending on diet). I was very happy with my symmetry. My arms were 18.5", Chest 50", Quads 29", Calves 18" and Waist 29". I was where I wanted to be.

I was playing a game of pick-up hockey and dislocated my shoulder - this was nothing new - it happened a lot. The pain started getting worse during the next few days and after I visited the doctor he explained the damage was much worse. Also after a few more visits he determined that I had so much scar tissue built up I would need surgery. The other option was physio. Surgery wasn't for me and the physio didn't work. I tried going back to the gym a few times and the pain was unbearable. Depressed I went back to the doctor and he said I would need to stay off weights (that just about killed me).

Anyway, the years of Physio ended up paying off and my shoulder is in decent shape again. Finally it was time to do what I loved. Three weeks ago I went back to the gym and felt like a complete loser. I've lost so much strength it's sick. My BF is disgusting - 20%, but I'm determined to get back to the way I was.

My current stats: Height 6'1 (luckily that didn't change), weight 205, BF 20%.. Arms 16", Chest 45", Quads 26", Calves 16" and Waist 36" (yap that hurts).

My work-out is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday strenght training. I do interval training 4 times a week. (Hills (10 minutes) followed by 10x100 meter sprints, 4x400 meter sprints). Cardio is terrible - 15 minutes Treadmill on Strength training days. I train Calves twice a week. I used commit my Saturdays to Powerlifting - and will probably incorporate it back into my training next month.

A few questions for you all:

1) Before the injury I hadn't taken more than a week off training - I've been training since I was 16 (33 now) - so I have no reference point to measure my gains. 'm wondering how long it will take to start seeing results again? Maybe some of you have injuries that kept you away from the weights for a prolonged period? Did you notice the size came back within a few weeks or months?

2) Before I was injured my diet was very strict, I'm back on my old diet - 300 grams protein, complex carbs every meal - close to 2500 calories with the carbs. I'm wondering if I should turn to more of a bulking diet for mass. I was thinking of increasing protein to 350 grams and introducing a few more starchy carbs - total calorie intake would be closer to 3000 calories a day.

I'm a very fast gainer and have never needed supplements. I'm just bloddy discouraged by how weak and small I am. I'm only squatting 225, Leg Press is crappy 450lbs and my chest - well shit I'm too embarrassed. The only thing that kept any strength are my calves and tri's. I'm doing about 500lbs for 15 (hold 'em) reps on Standing Calve Raises - which is kinda encouraging.

Am I on track? Am I being too impatient?

Thanks in Advance,

Tysus

I would think that if your shoulder is in good shape your upper body will start growing and responding almost immediately, it may take a few weeks just to get accustomed to lifting again. You seem like you have a good game plan though. Like i said, i would think your upper body is going to depend alot on your shoulder. Your legs should start coming back. The one thing you may want to do is be a little more generous with the calories, it will help you grow, and as the muscle starts coming back the fast will start coming off. Once you hit a point of muscle mass and strength you are happy with (not necessarily where you were) you can start cleaning up your diet accordingly to strip some more of that fat off. I am not saying eat like a pig, but you can definately up the cals

Cool story! Muscle memory is an amazing thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't train for 8 years and within 8 months I am as strong or stronger than before. I also had sloulder injuries. I couldnt even touch my head.

I had to take time off from a back surgery. Didn't lift for almost 4 months. I lost a shitload! I hit it when I could and worked out on the days I felt good. I would say it took about 6 weeks before I felt somewhat in shape again and stronger. Strength started increasing about the 3rd week. Just be careful and work around what you can do without pain. I was down to 195 after surgery and now I am back to 225 and gaining.

Take your time

I am 36. Have been training for 16 years. I get knocked out at least once a year with injuries. As you get older things get worse. It very easy to aggravate old injuries.

Dont worry about the Poundages. Heavy is heavy. Who cares what the other guys are lifting.

I am back from injury now and concentrate mostly on form. You have your whole life to train. Why rush it. The main thing is staying healthy.

You will get back to where you were. You should enjoy this time while the gains are comming really fast. Once you strat to plateaue and really have to work for gains you will miss these days

Good Luck Stay Healthy Get Big . You can most likely get back in good form in 4 months

Back