back pains while doing cardio

daan69

Its a Celebration Bitches
Alright this is hard to explain so i will try my best... on my left side half way down my back i experience a cutting pain that seems to shoot like right through the center of my body out my back. Within almost a minute later it becomes so unbearable i have stop and sit down. honestly it feels like either my back is going to break in half or im gonna have a heart attack.

I would say i experience it 2 out of the 4 days a week that im on the treadmill. Never happens on a stationary bike or stairstepper, or any weightlifting exircise. It only happens when im running on a treadmill - but sometimes i can run for like 45 min and not feel a damn thing!!!:confused:

today i ran on an incline and it was the WORST... i left after 3 minutes of cardio!!!!!

Is it possible the impact of my feet on the treadmill causes it... should i be worried?

i smoked cigarettes in my teen years (Im sure we were all dumbasses at that point in our lives)... but im doubtfull that it has anything to do with my lungs, since i can tolerate any other form of cardio.

daan69 said:
i smoked cigarettes in my teen years (Im sure we were all dumbasses at that point in our lives)... but im doubtfull that it has anything to do with my lungs, since i can tolerate any other form of cardio.

You have a weak lower back. Start doing deads and goodmornings. I had a weak lower back as a teen when I rollerbladed, now it never gets sore because its getting stronger.

how old are you? do you have any medical issues.. on any medications? II dont see how running could cause left sided low back pain:rolleyes: as there is no major moving joint there.

I would def. get it checked out. if it is a cardiac or circulatory issue, its better to be safe then sorry. now however, if you are on clen - this all makes sense

please post when u find out what it is, im very curious

I've had similar problems from time to time, i'd say it's downward compression on the back from the impact of the running-some are much more prone than others, and it's not going to change with exercise of that area. Solution is basically to avoid the treadmill and do other equally effective exercises, or try vigorous, low impact fast walking on an incline; should have a similar effect and might avoid the trauma.

Last edited:
in my football team a few of the guys had a similar problem to u and it turns out that the back problem was linked to an injured hamstring. Dont ask me how but thats what happened.

probably not ur case but jus throwing options out there.

my lower back does this to and its quite strong, for me it starts in my abdomin almost like a cramp then works its way through almost winding me then I get the back pain

I found running more upright helps,I use to hunch and run kinda

Golden_Muscle said:
You have a weak lower back. Start doing deads and goodmornings. I had a weak lower back as a teen when I rollerbladed, now it never gets sore because its getting stronger.

i LOVE deads... im not too strong with them but im strong enough to rep out 365 which isnt bad because i hadnt started doing them until recently. Never have done good mornings it just looked painful for us tall guys.

Golden_Muscle said:
Why would you be worried about that!? LOL!!! Your a bigger pussy than I am, and thats a BIG one!!

Im no pussy GM... why wouldnt i be worried:confused:... if you were injured or had a pain like i have wouldnt you wonder wtf was causing it???

Prana said:
how old are you? do you have any medical issues.. on any medications? II dont see how running could cause left sided low back pain:rolleyes: as there is no major moving joint there.

I would def. get it checked out. if it is a cardiac or circulatory issue, its better to be safe then sorry. now however, if you are on clen - this all makes sense

please post when u find out what it is, im very curious

Im almost 24... Im on a few medications to combat acne from aas. Clen will be a part of my next cycle but i have never used it. I did suffer from asthma when i was younger but i "beat" it through football and staying active.

I know it seems strange because there is no joint there but its almost like a throbbing pain over and over quickly and i think it might have something to do with my heartbeat... I JUST went to the doctor a couple days ago and my bp is 120 over 80 (perfect) and he said everything else looked good. Im still waiting for my blood test results.

BTW its nice to see a chick posting in the training forum

pumpchaser said:
I've had similar problems from time to time, i'd say it's downward compression on the back from the impact of the running-some are much more prone than others, and it's not going to change with exercise of that area. Solution is basically to avoid the treadmill and do other equally effective exercises, or try vigorous, low impact fast walking on an incline; should have a similar effect and might avoid the trauma.

thanks ill try that. It might have somthing to do with all the upper body weight i put on this winter... who knows

it could be a pinched nerve, a buddy of mine had that, and he only felt the pain when sitting down... i know thats not exactly your situation, but pinched back nerves tend to cause alotta problems :( go see a chirpopractor :)

just my 2 cents

First of all; until you find out what exactly is wrong with you, you should STOP doing the things that you know make you hurt. You should Definately NOT be doing exercises like deadlifts and legs press as these really affect your back. If you do have a disc problem, you are only going to make it worse by keeping on doing these things to yourself until you know what is wrong with you. Some disc/nerve problems are very curable with just theraphy and rest, but if you keep making it worse you are heading for surgery my friend. I tell you this because I did not listen to people and the doctors and I ended up having surgery with no other options; L-1 / S-5 Disc. Believe me; you will never be the same afterwards or be able to do the same things. Remember; you have a lifetime to get bigger and stronger, so just take your time and take it easy!! Take Care Buddy!!

noomi_nooma said:
...the back problem was linked to an injured hamstring. Dont ask me how but thats what happened.

Well, the hamstrings attach to the vertebra in the back. Therefore, tight or, in some cases, injured hamstrings will cause low back pain when running or vigorous walking.

I never believed this, although it was one of the first things I learned last year when I started school. However, I've been trying to get back into running, and I believe it wholeheartedly now: I used to run 5+ miles every day (at 175-185ish pounds) and be flexible as hell (i.e. toe touch, I could put my wrists on the ground and not feel the stretch). Then, I took about 6 months off of cardio almost completely (like maybe 1x/week) in an effort to gain weight, and I also quit stretching as much because I felt it took up too much time. I lost a LOT of my flexibility, and for the last 3-5 weeks, every time I've tried to run, my low back has hurt and cramped so bad that my legs actually will NOT move forward after about 1 mile.

I'd call your pain hamstring related, first off. Start stretching a lot to work on flexibility in the hammies and low back, and start doing some movements to strengthen the musculature in the area. If that doesn't help, then move on to other possible causes.

Back