BJ Penn vs Shawn Sherk in November

bleachcola said:
Truth of the matter is that MMA guys are just better fighters. Boxing isn't fighting. It's throwing hands. Yes, there is still skill involved but it is very one dimensional. MMA has so many aspects. With boxing you have a right hand and a left hand and that's it. There's nothing else to account for. You stand up and exchange fisticuffs. But with MMA you have to account for hands, forearms, elbows, feet, legs, and knees. And that's just striking. There's grappling on your feet, as in Greco-Roman style positioning. And then there is grappling on the ground. So in the end you are dealing with a much more well rounded fighter. Boxers aren't fighters. They're boxers. MMA is competition between real fighters. So what if they don't have the boxing skills of a boxer. Well when there are a million other things to train and be familiar with, you can't spend all day every day on boxing skills. But in the end this could all be settled if some big name boxers would accept Dana's open invitation to fight his guys. Yeah, Mayweather is a great boxer and athlete. But he's also a pussy who is afraid to step in the ring with Sherk. He's turned down the offer multiple times. All he does is sit back and run his mouth, talking shit about MMA. But in the end he can't back any of it up. None of the other top name boxers would do it either. Bc they know it would take all of two seconds for the MMA guy to shoot in, take him to the ground, and pound the shit out of him with some nasty elbows. And then once he's softened up, bend his body into a pretzel with any number of submissions. Pugilistic enterprise has shifted completely towards MMA. Boxing is done. There's no variety. It's just round after round of guys throwing fists with a mile of padding in between the two. Sure it requires skill, but MMA requires more skill. There's just a million times more to account for.

Not true. IBF ww champion Kermit Citron took up Dana's offer to fight Sherk. I never understood why both sports put each other down. They go hand in hand. Both our respected competive combat sports. Boxing is a extention of MMA. Nothing wrong with loving both.

Because nobody knows who Cintron is and Sean Sherk has been tied up with steroid affairs. If Kermit makes a name for himself and still wants that fight then I'm sure Dana would put someone in there for him.

bleachcola said:
Because nobody knows who Cintron is and Sean Sherk has been tied up with steroid affairs. If Kermit makes a name for himself and still wants that fight then I'm sure Dana would put someone in there for him.

Not saying he would win, but if sherk couldn't get Cintron down, he's goning to sleep. Citron hasn't wreslted in sometime. They say his wrestling is good enough to shut Sherk down.

latinsteel said:
Not saying he would win, but if sherk couldn't get Cintron down, he's goning to sleep. Citron hasn't wreslted in sometime. They say his wrestling is good enough to shut Sherk down.

It's nowhere near good enough.

bleachcola said:
It's nowhere near good enough.

He had talent bro. Anyone that has ever wreslted knows how hard it is to get accepted much get a scholarship to one of the top college wrestling schools in the country. Another reason Dana dosen't want Sherk to fight him. If Cintron wins no big deal. Like you said, no one really knows him. Has time passes the more unlikely it will happen. To get a big star in boxing to step into the cage will take some serious $$$$ the UFC dosen't have. It will always be what could of and what would of happened.

latinsteel said:
He had talent bro. Anyone that has ever wreslted knows how hard it is to get accepted much get a scholarship to one of the top college wrestling schools in the country. Another reason Dana dosen't want Sherk to fight him. If Cintron wins no big deal. Like you said, no one really knows him. Has time passes the more unlikely it will happen. To get a big star in boxing to step into the cage will take some serious $$$$ the UFC dosen't have. It will always be what could of and what would of happened.

Cintron wrestled in high school and hasn't trained at all since then. I seriously doubt he is on par with a professional like Sherk. That would be like saying Sherk took some boxing classes in high school so he could knock out Cintron standing up.

bleachcola said:
Besides, he has a bum knee. A couple cranks on it and he's done with sports for life.

All i'm implying is it would be nice to see. My money defentily would be on sherk.

He will cause a TKO. He's got something to prove coming into this fight. People ripped on him for being on gear and not finishing fights. So he'll unleash the beast on this one.

bleachcola said:
He will cause a TKO. He's got something to prove coming into this fight. People ripped on him for being on gear and not finishing fights. So he'll unleash the beast on this one.

He better produce a fantastic performace. He's gonna need to. BJ is one of the best. In my mind, he has more tools to win.

bleachcola said:

He doesn't have much of a beast to unleash on BJ. If he tries to box with him he will be humilitated, and if he gets on top he's going to be putting all his energy into submission defense and trying to keep BJ on the ground.

Not true. IBF ww champion Kermit Citron took up Dana's offer to fight Sherk. I never understood why both sports put each other down. They go hand in hand. Both our respected competive combat sports. Boxing is a extention of MMA. Nothing wrong with loving both.

boxing was a respected combat sport. now that you have MMA, boxing is a joke.

Back