Blood testosterone levels can vary up to 35% from 8 am to 4 pm

Black Beard

@ X450 Gravity
JCEM | Mobile

Just got my latest blood work in, and it got me wondering how much testosterone varies from morning to afternoon. You always hear people say how levels are highest in the morning, but how high? I found this incredible research paper that answered my question. I wanted to share it with all of you guys. I'll summarize it for those who don't want to read the whole thing. Basically Total T, Free T, and bioavailable T can go from 100% to as low as 65% from 8 am to 4 pm. This variation is higher the younger you are. By the age of 70, the variation is as low as 10 %. So from morning to afternoon the range would be as low as 100%-90%. So next time you get your blood work done, if you want the highest possible testosterone readings for a good baseline, Testosterone peaks around 5am-8pm.

-Have a powerful day!! (Miss ya Austinite! hope you read this!) :D

Yes. For anyone trying to get a baseline for pre-cycle blood work, TRT, or just to know your highest natural test levels. This article is for you. I found it extremely interesting. It would also be of interest for anyone trying to gauge PCT recovery success.

It's not solely based on the time of day but also when you specifically get up. Example would be night shift workers. Their levels aren't the highest in the morning, they're higher when they wake up. Just nitpicking BB but great study nonetheless

Yeah, i also always wondered how my levels fluctuate when my circadian rhythm gets out of wack(stay up all night sometimes). So i figured it had to do with REM sleep etc. Since the circadian cycle affects the HPTA. Interesting, since our test AND cortisol are highest in the morning, and we also get elevated test AND cortisol after a workout. HPTA=Balls+adrenals i guess. I really want to understand it even more. I just keep reading as much as i can so i can learn :D

I knew some members would find the study fascinating and the information useful. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

Yeah, i also always wondered how my levels fluctuate when my circadian rhythm gets out of wack(stay up all night sometimes). So i figured it had to do with REM sleep etc. Since the circadian cycle affects the HPTA. Interesting, since our test AND cortisol are highest in the morning, and we also get elevated test AND cortisol after a workout. HPTA=Balls+adrenals i guess. I really want to understand it even more. I just keep reading as much as i can so i can learn :D

I knew some members would find the study fascinating and the information useful. Glad you guys enjoyed it.

Test actually drops after an intense workout but comes back afyerwaRds during rest. I'll see if I can find the study I read a while back and I'll try and post a reference to the test dropping post workout

Thanks! Yeah i've heard it too. So the test spike would come after the rebound i guess? So many studies, so little time. Thank god for abstracts :D

Something to think about if you're trying to get trt...
Have an afternoon work out, THEN go get tested. ;)

Didn't read all the comments but here i go: I don't think it matters if you wake up between that time and work out. You grow when you rest, so it's unneccecairy to do all that, the human body isn't stupid you know :xmas:

In terms of training? Yeah you probably wouldnt feel it but everyone is different. This is more for testing, as stated in the medical paper.

Black Beard, here are the references for post workout testosterone levels. Source: Practical Programming for Strength Training by Mark Rippetoe

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And here's the excerpt about the timing of blood tests and how they may change for those who work nights or wake up at different hours:

Previous Section
Next Section
TO FOLLOW UP A LOW TESTOSTERONE, CONFIRM THE VALUE NEAR 8 AM

If a testosterone value is found to be low, it is important to determine the time that the sample was obtained. Serum testosterone levels follow a diurnal rhythm, at least in younger men, with values near 8 AM being, on average, 30% higher than the trough levels later in the day.5***8211;7 The timing of the diurnal variation may be different in night-shift workers, who may require assessment at a more appropriate time of the day (ie, upon awakening).

Another factor affecting testosterone levels is the patient***8217;s health status at the time of testing. Values obtained in the hospital during an acute illness should be repeated once the event has resolved, as testosterone values decrease considerably in this setting.8 Even in outpatients, particularly in men over age 60, one must be sure that the low testosterone level was not obtained during a period of decompensation of one of the many comorbidities seen in these patients, such as coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, or uncontrolled diabetes.

If an 8 AM testosterone value is low, it is reasonable to obtain at least one confirmatory testosterone level on another day, near 8 AM, in the next few weeks, when the patient is in good health. Confirming the testosterone level is important, particularly since commercially available testosterone assays are not well standardized and some are frankly unreliable.9,10 A repeat confirmatory level should always be performed by a reliable reference laboratory. If the testosterone level is still low, further evaluation is warranted.

Male hypogonadism: More than just a low testosterone

Back