Blood Work - Questions About Results

prepforit109

I am new to this forum so I will try my best to construct this post well. Some quick information about myself. I am 25 years old 6'3 189 lbs with a bodyfat of around 15%. I have been training on and off for about 5 years but the last year has been very consistent. My diet is relatively clean, not much junk food. I do not drink soda and drink only water most days and eat things like oatmeal, eggs, rice, lean meats, and vegetables. The supplements I use include protein, multi vitamin, fish oil, and zinc. Also, I do not do any drugs or drink alcohol. I have never used and steroids of any kind.

Now, here is my concern. I have noticed that my libido and mood has changed a lot in the last couple years. I find that I am not as concerned with women as I used to be or that I don't have the will to chase them anymore. I have just assumed that this was normal since I was getting older. I have a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep at night. I have been to a few mental health doctors thinking that was my problem. They prescribed me a ton of pills each time and it did nothing but make me miserable. This is what started the blood work and then I became a little concerned with some of the numbers. I will post the numbers that seem concerning below.

There are 3 different sets of bloodwork numbers. Each from a different doctor at different times, all within a span of about 2 years. Some of the numbers that concern me the most are the LH and FSH. I may be concerned over nothing but getting some advice or tips will help.

This set of numbers were taken April 2015

Collected: 10:30 a.m. FSH 3.3 mIU/ml Range: 1.5-12.4 mIU/ml
Collected: 10:30 a.m. LH 2.8 mIU/ml Range: 1.7-8.6 mIU/ml
Collected: 10:30 a.m. Prolactin 4.5 ng/ml Range: 4.0-15.2 ng/ml
Collected: 10:30 a.m. Testosterone Total, 4.2 ng/ml Range: 2.8-8.0 ng/ml
Collected: 10:30 a.m. TSH 1.38 uIU/mL Range: 0.27-4.20 uIU/mL

The next set of numbers were taken earlier this year in Feburary

Collected: 9:42 a.m. FSH 3.5 mIU/ml Range: 1.6-8.0 mIU/ml
Collected: 9:42 a.m. LH 2.4 mIU/ml Range: 1.5-9.3 mIU/ml
Collected: 9:42 a.m. Estradiol 27 pg/mL Range: >or = 39 pg/mL
Collected: 9:42 a.m. Testosterone Total 402 ng/dL Range: 250-1100 ng/dL

The next set of numbers have all been collected in the last 5 months. Time differences indicate different days.

Collected: 12:25 p.m. Testosterone Total 286 ng/dL Range: > or = 240 ng/dL
Collected: 8:31 a.m. Testosterone Total 487 ng/dL Range: > or = 240 ng/dL
Collected: 8:13 a.m. Prolactin 21 ng/ml Range: 2-18 ng/ml
Collected: 8:13 a.m. LH 2.7 mIU/ml Range: 1.0-12.0 mIU/ml
Collected: 3:30 p.m. Testosterone Ultrasensitive LC MS/MS 243 ng/dl Range: > or = 240 ng/dl
Collected: 3:30 p.m. TSH 1.31 uIU/mL Range: 0.40-4.20 uIU/mL

Do any of this numbers present a concern I should have? I know some of the testosterone tests are low for my age but later in the day our levels drop. Although at 12:25, just past noon, I dont believe a 25 yr old should be at 286 but I could be wrong. Also my LH and FSH seem to be low? Could that indicate something or is that normal for my age? My thyroid seems to be fine. Also my prolactin was in the low range last year but spiked to over the highest limit. I do not have an explanation for that. It's terrible that I can't get good information from my own doctor concerning these numbers, he seems to be very uneducated in this area, a referral to the endo was not given even though I asked. Any help is appreciated.

what exactly did they give you when you say that they "prescribed me a ton of pills each time"?

Did you get your free T reading? You also need to do your Prolactin value.

Not enough info here for me to be certain but its definitely not optimal.

Back