Buying cheap protein in bulk vs name brand protein powders (expensive)

goingtowin

I've found websites where I can find 20-40 pound bags of whey protein for cheap

I'm sick and tired of spending so much money on protein sources. Keep in mind i'm a vegetarian so my protein comes from milk and eggs/whey protein.

I drink up to a gallon of milk a day and eat a TON of egg whites with a whey shake after workouts.

would it really make a difference if I up my protein from powders instead of some of the milk/eggs? (no eating meat is not an option) Everyone claims getting protein from whole foods is better but does anyone have the science behind it?

And again the original question. I could care less about flavor but is there really a reason to spend the extra money on expensive whey?

Thanks guys.

Well. From my experience. Its not that big of a difference.Expensive protein powders tend to mix up easier, taste better and are digested easier than the cheap ones. However, i also prefer cheap powders.

I've found websites where I can find 20-40 pound bags of whey protein for cheap

I'm sick and tired of spending so much money on protein sources. Keep in mind i'm a vegetarian so my protein comes from milk and eggs/whey protein.

I drink up to a gallon of milk a day and eat a TON of egg whites with a whey shake after workouts.

would it really make a difference if I up my protein from powders instead of some of the milk/eggs? (no eating meat is not an option) Everyone claims getting protein from whole foods is better but does anyone have the science behind it?

And again the original question. I could care less about flavor but is there really a reason to spend the extra money on expensive whey?

Thanks guys.
the more natural the protein the better results/gains you will have.

get some beans and yams in there. maybe make your own protien drinks. buying powder gets expensive. i have never heard a person who is a vegetarian have a makes sense answer for being one. about 40+ years ago i was a vegetarian too. can't even remember why. if you eat eggs you are not a vegetarian. it's still an animal per se. maybe some veggie chili, baked macaroni, cornbread, baked potatoes, yams and lots of it will give you calories and a little growth. not tons of protien but good food with greens, cabbage etc. i know not the answer you want just eat more. JMO.

If you're not chewing your food, your body doesn't release digestive enzymes that help to process the nutrients in the food/drink. That's the big difference between solid and liquid.

You get what you pay for. Want to buy crap that's probably closer to 10g of protein per serving, go for it. I used to drink that crap they sell at Walmart, and it wasn't until I started going hypoglycemic that I really began to question the actual contents of the powder. (yes, hypoglycemia is from a lack of carbs, but if I can't trust the carb count, I'm going to assume that they're full of shit on protein too)

But can anyone actually explain the science of protein powders not being good as protein from whole foods?

They absorb better and have a better profile so I don't understand why the powders would not work as well.. or is just all "bro science"

and I understand not chewing your food could have an affect but let's leave shakes out of the question.

For example 1 scoop of protein powder mixed with cooked oats. Wouldn't this be a better source of protein than a chicken breast? I know everyone preaches getting it from the chicken would be better but can anyone explain why?

But can anyone actually explain the science of protein powders not being good as protein from whole foods?

They absorb better and have a better profile so I don't understand why the powders would not work as well.. or is just all "bro science"

and I understand not chewing your food could have an affect but let's leave shakes out of the question.

For example 1 scoop of protein powder mixed with cooked oats. Wouldn't this be a better source of protein than a chicken breast? I know everyone preaches getting it from the chicken would be better but can anyone explain why?

Food vs Protein Powders?
I would choose food every time. I only have powder when Im about to eat something that has no protein (or enough protein) in it. Like rice/pasta etc. I know powders digest faster but I think there are a lot more in actual food that the body needs, than protein. Also, if I have lots of shakes, my appetite gets lower. After a few days, I seem to not be able to eat above average or regular meals without being stuffed.

As for the protein source. My advice is to mix and match. Chicken is pretty easy, cheap and common yes. BUT you cant just have chicken for your protein needs. You need variety. Everything is needed. Milk, yogurt, red meat, fish, chicken, turkey etc etc.

1 scoop of protein mixed with oat better than chicken? Dont know, but surely is a lot more convienient and cheaper (at least from where I come from). I would still pick chicken though. Unless I was out or short on cash. Or bored. Or tired. Or had no time. Or if I burned the damn chicken again!!!

I hope you get the basic idea here.

Last edited:
Well you have to remember i'm a vegetarian so I can't eat all those meats listed above.

I've seen MASSIVE vegetarians so i'm still trying to find out why people think getting a good chunk of your protein from powders is such a bad thing as long as the rest of your diet is very clean (lots of fruits veggies and carbs/sweet pots whole grain pasta.)

I drink a ton of milk and eat a lot of low fat cottage cheese. I also eat a ton of egg whites but i'm really wanting to up my powder intake for the convenience. But everyone is always preaching protein powders don't work as well as real food. I'm finding that hard to believe. I mean whey protein is simply what's left over from making cheese.. I understand it absorbs a lot quicker but I get a lot of casein protein from milk so it's kinda irrelevant plus I could always have smaller portions of powder every two hours or so pretty easily.

Well you have to remember i'm a vegetarian so I can't eat all those meats listed above.

I've seen MASSIVE vegetarians so i'm still trying to find out why people think getting a good chunk of your protein from powders is such a bad thing as long as the rest of your diet is very clean (lots of fruits veggies and carbs/sweet pots whole grain pasta.)

I drink a ton of milk and eat a lot of low fat cottage cheese. I also eat a ton of egg whites but i'm really wanting to up my powder intake for the convenience. But everyone is always preaching protein powders don't work as well as real food. I'm finding that hard to believe. I mean whey protein is simply what's left over from making cheese.. I understand it absorbs a lot quicker but I get a lot of casein protein from milk so it's kinda irrelevant plus I could always have smaller portions of powder every two hours or so pretty easily.

where did you see massive vegans? on tv? some movie? magazine? website?

Not vegans vegetarians. Big difference.

Vegans can't consume any animal products at all.. so no whey no eggs no dairy.. they have a serious disadvantage.

Vegetarians don't really have any disadvantage as we can still consume animals products. The rule is if it has a face we can't eat it. So we can eat dairy and eggs since eggs are not fertilized

Not vegans vegetarians. Big difference.

Vegans can't consume any animal products at all.. so no whey no eggs no dairy.. they have a serious disadvantage.

Vegetarians don't really have any disadvantage as we can still consume animals products. The rule is if it has a face we can't eat it. So we can eat dairy and eggs since eggs are not fertilized

are you trying to teach me this?

Huh? No I was just saying I didn't say vegan and was explaining the difference. Not just for you but anyone on here. A lot of people don't know the difference between vegetarian or vegan. Wasn't trying to be a smartass or anything.

I just take special protein shakes I usually buy at my gym ( here's a review on one of them ). One shake easily replaces one meal, it is rather nutritive and even tasty :) I feel no need in so much meat and eggs as I did before.

I've always had great results with a GOOD middle of the road protein... and usually pay around $39 for a 5 pound bag at Sam's Club.

I think this is reasonable for the average person, but of course you can also spend twice that for a superior product... along with food
being the best overall choice.

I'm wary of buying based on price. You usually get what you pay for whether it's cheap cars, clothes, women, or tools.... And protein

I'll add cheap motel rooms to that list... you know the ones.... they come with a complimentary dead hooker in the bath tub

**...100% whey. Good stuff. Mixed with oats, yogurt, peanut butter u get the pic. Just use the powder as a dietary additive. Not what your diet revolves around.

Back