Cutting for a fight while on a bulking cycle.

SicVic

Performance Trainer.
Lets say your on a Test Cycle. Your getting buff. Someone wants a peice of your ass in that cage. Or an opportunity for a fight comes your way. Its 10-15 pounds you have to cut. How would you go about doing it? Would you turn it into a cutting cycle or would you continue on with your diet and Try to drop da weight a week before the fight??

It would be wise to turn it into a cutting cycle. Cutting and bulking are two terms that (imho) barely fit together. A lean mass cycle would maybe be more accurate. If you're trying to cut weight it would be wise to change your diet accordingly. If you are currently eating to bulk it would be counter productive to continue eating the same way while trying to cut weight.

You seem to have a deadline. If you had plenty of time I could see going for lean mass but if I read your post correctly, then it sounds like you are on a strict time line.

Last edited:
Im goin for lean mass. Just saying if that happens, would I start cutting burining fat or would I drain myself out a week before. Something like that.

Start as soon as you know you have a deadline. Apparently you never have been in this situation before or you wouldn't ask these questions. Which is fine but we never get tested around here in the southern U.S. Losing that much weight in a week will deplete muscle for sure. So the sooner the better to maintain as much muscle as you can.

get some masking agents just in case they test you. There are a few out there but I've forgot the names. One is an oral medicine called Probenecid which is actually used to treat gout.

Alot depends on your size. Cutting 10-15 pounds for a larger fighter is much easier than cutting for a smaller one.
I have cut from 210lbs to 199.9lbs in the sauna the day of the weigh ins with no problem. But if I had to cut that extra 5lbs I'm not sure I could have. This is probably already too late-but I wouldn't worry to much about cutting over the 15 days. Try to get within 9-10lbs of your desired weight and then cut the rest by skipping lunch and going to the sauna the day of the weigh ins. The most important thing is to rehydrate slowly. Pedialyte is best but the taste for me is horrible. I use vitamin water or gatorade and just sip slowly for about an hour after weigh ins. Also, try to avoid a heavy meal right after. A small portion of eggs or a light salad first is best to just get your body adjusted before really getting into a heavy meal.

Back