DHEA / Pregnenolone Patch

Mr P

Super Moderator
Posted by IMT on Wednesday, 22 August 2012

Your adrenal glands, located on top of your kidneys, secrete hormones including cortisol and dehydroepiandrosterone, or DHEA, which effectively help you manage stress. Pregnenolone is the precursor hormone from which stress hormones are made, making its presence in your body significant. Supplementing with pregnenolone may be a good idea, but reducing your stress level is critical since adrenal dysfunction may lead to adrenal insufficiency, or Addison's disease, which is a serious and debilitating condition.

Types of Stress

Pioneer endocrinologist Hans Selye noted that all forms of stress are handled the same way -- and stress is cumulative in its effects. Environmental stress includes heat, cold and noise. Chemical stress includes pollution and drugs. Physical stress can occur from overexercising, trauma or an infection. Psychological stress includes worry and fear. Biochemical stress, such as nutritional deficiencies and excessive refined sugar consumption, as well as imaginary stress, are additional types of stress.

How Stress Hormones Work

Timothy J. Smith, MD, refers to pregnenolone as the grandmother hormone, which spawns dozens of granddaughter hormones. If cortisol production is excessive due to chronic stress, it can damage body tissues and exhaust the adrenals. Both high and low cortisol states can be dangerous. Normally, DHEA buffers the effects of high cortisol levels, bringing your hormones back into balance after a stressful event. Cortisol and DHEA maintain a delicate balance in your body.

Pregnenolone, DHEA and Anti-Aging

Studies have confirmed that production of this hormone in your body declines with age. Pregnenolone has been reported to reduce high stress-induced fatigue. Pregnenolone and DHEA can improve the effects of aging.

Testing Your Stress Hormones

If you are tired for no apparent reason, or have other symptoms that you feel may be due to adrenal fatigue, you should ask your have your adrenal hormones tested . Doctors can test cortisol levels in your urine and blood, but salivary testing may provide a better picture of your stress hormones. In one study published in the September 2003 issue of the "Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism," noninvasive salivary testing of cortisol worked better than urine, and as well as blood tests.

Pregnenolone Supplementation

Pregnenolone supplementation is recommended by health professionals because people have reported an enhanced sense of health and well-being taking it, according to Mercola.com. Until further studies are conducted there is no definitive answer to the question. What many health professionals seem to agree that diet, exercise and reduction of stress are some of the best actions you can take for fatigue and the prevention of most chronic disease.

Great info! I've been taking 100mg of pregnenolone and 50mg of DHEA ED along with my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) orally, but I have recently read that this may not be the best method to increase levels. Are there better methods of supplementing these, or has the science just not caught up yet?

Edit: I see in the title there is mention of a patch, but have not seen any other information on it - hence my question.

The transdermal and the patches are really the only ones that are effective. The orals are a waste IMHO.

The trans-dermal and the patches are really the only ones that are effective. The orals are a waste IMHO.

I agree. even the micronized versions of the orals are only slightly superior and if i recall right still only offer under 10% effective dosage.
Crisler was coming out with trans dermal creams as do many compounding pharmacies. The patch is a new one to me personally...but the benefits sem obvious over oral administration and prob comparable to trans-dermal. The idea of it being localized and reducing likelihood of secondary application to say women and children is appealing in a patch.

The transdermal and the patches are really the only ones that are effective. The orals are a waste IMHO.

I agree. even the micronized versions of the orals are only slightly superior and if i recall right still only offer under 10% effective dosage.
Crisler was coming out with trans dermal creams as do many compounding pharmacies. The patch is a new one to me personally...but the benefits sem obvious over oral administration and prob comparable to trans-dermal. The idea of it being localized and reducing likelihood of secondary application to say women and children is appealing in a patch.
Interesting, I'll have to dig deeper into this. I do notice slightly oily skin when taking these orally, but nothing to write home about. Thanks for the head's up! :D

Mr P are you going to use the ageforce patchs or are there others out there I have not seen?
Thanks

Excuse my ignorance on this subject & the question may have already been answered..But on the testing for this type of deficiency, is it something that may have been tested for during my initial blood test for hrt & if so how would it read on paperwork. If not previously tested should I just mention possible adrenal fatigue to the doc & have it tested..Thanks in advance

Dug out my blood work results from a couple months back & found something regarding DHEA+ pregnenolone #'s.
DHEA, ls/ms/ms 240 Scale: 16-1636 ng/dl
Pregnenolone, ls/ms/ms 17 Scale: 13-208 ng/dl
Reckon I'll speak with dr regarding these #'s..as far as I know nothing was prescribed to deal with these

DHEA / Preg can be purchased without a prescription, you just pay product and shipping.

Most of services IMT deals with are prescription based medications though.

ok well I ordered the patches from ageforce suppose I can say that since one of the sponsors sells the product. Well, I had a question and I emailed them asking what percentage of the DHEA + Pregnenolone are absorbed from the patch. They email me back and say 98% I email back asking how they know this for sure? Ask if they have any studies to confirm this as many TD patches only deliver a small amount of product which is the reason there is more mg in the actual patch than is delivered. Anyway Steve from ageforce sent me this email back
"We are not going to get into an email debate with you. If you would like to learn more about this and how we make our claim, please give us a call, or we can call you if that is your preference"

So of course I call him and I am treated as rude as I have ever been treated by any company, Steve was very nasty when I asked for studies or some solid information about the percent of delivery. So this is my story with ageforce.

Last edited:
I was told very offensively that I knew nothing about molecules and everything is based on weight of the molecule small molecules are 98%-100% absorbed by TD patches. This just is not true case in point is is lidocaine which has a patch called lidoderm a new patch contains 700mg of lidocaine of which only 5% is delivered. Lidocaine is a smaller weight molecule than DHEA so by agefores own words 700mg of lidocaine should be delivered correct???
Dhea
288.424 g/mol

Lidocaine
234.34 g/mol

New lidoderm patch has 700 mg of lidocaine only 5% of that is delivered so 665 mg of lidocaine will
remain in a used patch only 35mg of Lidocaine will be absorbed.

I was told very offensively that I knew nothing about molecules and everything is based on weight of the molecule small molecules are 98%-100% absorbed by TD patches. This just is not true case in point is is lidocaine which has a patch called lidoderm a new patch contains 700mg of lidocaine of which only 5% is delivered. Lidocaine is a smaller weight molecule than DHEA so by agefores own words 700mg of lidocaine should be delivered correct???
Dhea
288.424 g/mol

Lidocaine
234.34 g/mol

New lidoderm patch has 700 mg of lidocaine only 5% of that is delivered so 665 mg of lidocaine will
remain in a used patch only 35mg of Lidocaine will be absorbed.

Well a quick peek at their other product offerings sure doesnt bode well for credibility in my mind. The HGH patch? Test patch ...gtfo of here. Not to mention the crazy prices. Buy yourself some micronized dhea/preg and some dmso with aloe .....

guys settle down with IMT prescription patches you are getting 100 percent PERIOD.

Back