Does your brain stop you from getting stronger or bigger?

MJF

WWPBBD
I think this belongs in this section, but I'm not sure i can explain what I'm thinking. I've been working out right at a year now. I've made some major changes that I'm proud of, but looking back and thinking it's been a year of trt and a cycle, i think I could habe done more.

For this topic, I want to discuss what keeps me from getting stronger and bigger. For a while I was doing the reverse pyramid workout where every set is to failure. And since with that workout, you're constantly changing weight for each set, I never added up how much I was lifting. Even on my spreadsheet, I only listed what plates were on one side, ie 45, 35, 5. And since every set is to failure and i didn't have a spotter, i used a hammer strength machine for bench press.

So just before i switched to a different workout, i was doing bench and on my set of 4 reps, which I had been doing the same weight for a couple weeks, I looked at the bench and noticed it was quite a few plates so I added it up. It was a decent amount for my frame and size and I was impressed that I had been lifting that much previously. But now that I knew how much weight it was, I wasn't able to complete the set. It was too heavy for me.

I need to go to dinner with my wife. I will add more to this later and try to better state my thinking. But the premise is that my mind tells me I should only be so strong or maybe that i can only be so big.

Absolutely you can limit yourself EXACTLY as you mention. This is something that probably most of us deal with when going for a new personal record, and get intimidated by overthinking what is about to happen.

Whether or not that's what happened to you (some days the weight DOES feel heavier) is something that I wouldn't focus on. Just know that next time it's light weight and well within your ability to move.

Headphone earbuds in, music cranked, and eyes closed - visualizing success is how I've always approached this. It is a mental thing, but completely within your power to overcome in my opinion.

My .02c :)

I do think that the body is fundamentally "lazy" and will find ways to try to limit you to conserve energy and protect itself.

I used to do treadmill runs on a treadmill that adjusts it's speed based on a heart rate target.
What I found out was that this created a feedback mechanism where I was running slower and slower and my heart rate remained at the target.

I truly believe that my body/subconscious brain "learned" that if it just elevated my heart rate it wouldn't have to work so hard.

I pondered that exact thought the other day as far as the treadmill and using a heart rate monitor. I just got one and was wondering if my mind would figure out that if the heart rate goes up too much, it would reduce the effort needed. But i dismissed the thought as being crazy.

Even science backs up the assertion that the mind determines what the body is allowed to do. This study by Guang Yue at the Cleveland clinic solidified that idea for me many years ago. I can't post an actual link yet so cut and paste friendly version...

sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sportspsychology/a/thinkstrong.htm

Last edited:
Another side of this that's probably just plain old laziness on my part. I was eating all clean and monitoring calories for a long time, and then started my test only cycle because everything was pretty much in check. Then about 3/4 of the way thru it, it's like I decided, ok I look good enough and just let my diet fall off. I didn't reach the goal I wanted to, but looked/felt good enough that I let things slip.

It's kind of been that way my whole life so I know it's just a lazy mindset. I've always stayed in relatively decent shape with the exception of the 3 year stretch recently. But I seem to be able to only go strong at it for about a year, then laziness triggers and i decide I look ok and can take it easy for a while, but that turns into a complete stoppage. I'm hoping this time will be different and this will be a lifestyle change. I'm at a year of working out and other than the fairly constant aches and pains, i have no desire to let up.

long held maxim within combat sport training

- the body can go far beyond the limitations your mind sets for yourself -

when you experience yourself crashing past limits that voice in your head keeps screaming at you, you condition yourself mentally..

i am a newb at resistance training, and i haven't heard much discussed here about the mental aspects of this sport..

but the way these fuckers diet and train for weight lifting - i love the lifestyle, because it all boils down to having a strong mental and emotional base for staying on track with diet and being consistent with intensity in the gym.

if you're true to this sport, not a hack.. it makes you strong and keeps you sharp mentally

the mind is what activates the muscles.. if you cannot make the mind body connection you limit the potential of your growth.. #focus!!

Your brain has a massive amount of control over your body. Think about it, the placebo effect is such an issue that all clinical studies must include a control group using a placebo.

Absolutely, was just talking to my wife about this yesterday. She was asking me why do they mentally tear you down when your tru I g to become a navy seal. Answer is your mind is going to take you so much farther with your body if it's strong. Without being mentally tough your body will give up. Just thought this was a cool place to share it.

Absolutely, was just talking to my wife about this yesterday. She was asking me why do they mentally tear you down when your tru I g to become a navy seal. Answer is your mind is going to take you so much farther with your body if it's strong. Without being mentally tough your body will give up. Just thought this was a cool place to share it.

reprogramming you.

Back