Drug testing for steroids in the workplace !!!

Lswonmatt

My company has recently brought up the idea of testing for steroids if someone is suspected of using them.. my question is when they are drug testing for steroids do they have to test for a specific type of steroid or are they testing for and ester of a steroid.. seems to me if someone was taking TRT it would show positive no matter what someone was taking...

What are your thoughts or ways around this?

Last edited by a moderator:
What field do you work in? The only place I've seen this brought up was in sports or certain civil service spots. Anyway, no - TRT will only flag testosterone (test:epitest ratio in sports) and certain hormones have specific metabolites. It's the metabolites that are often tested for.

There art kits you can buy that will get you through the test if need be, but they tend to be quite expensive. Teutonic knows a lot about this stuff, maybe he'll pop in. :)

Im surprised your work place is going to test..regardless of where you working I'm surprised.

I work for a manufacturing company.. I was kinda shocked when I heard that too I guess since they pay us good they are trying to keep it free from everything

I work for a manufacturing company.. I was kinda shocked when I heard that too I guess since they pay us good they are trying to keep it free from everything

Seems like a waste of company resources as they only need to worry about drugs that can impair your ability to work safely. As long as it isn't HR or a high-up saying this, I wouldn't sweat it.

Although, it wouldn't hurt to look into those urine kits just in case. ;)

That was from high up hr and medical department statements... trust me they don't mess around just to get a job here I had a test an 8 hr evaluation after that a hair follicle drug test a blood drug test and a urine drug test in all the same day.. after all that get put into a hiring pool to get picked from... I've been here for a year and a half and have been random urine drug tested 3 time plus a manditory blood test every physical year...

That was from high up hr and medical department statements... trust me they don't mess around just to get a job here I had a test an 8 hr evaluation after that a hair follicle drug test a blood drug test and a urine drug test in all the same day.. after all that get put into a hiring pool to get picked from... I've been here for a year and a half and have been random urine drug tested 3 time plus a manditory blood test every physical year...

That's crazy. Someone in management obviously has too much time on their hands and was embarrassed at the gym recently. :doh:

I've never heard of any employer testing for AAS. I even know of some high security jobs that don't test for AAS, just the usual drug test.

What field do you work in? The only place I've seen this brought up was in sports or certain civil service spots. Anyway, no - TRT will only flag testosterone (test:epitest ratio in sports) and certain hormones have specific metabolites. It's the metabolites that are often tested for.

There art kits you can buy that will get you through the test if need be, but they tend to be quite expensive. Teutonic knows a lot about this stuff, maybe he'll pop in. :)

Usually those tests (For the Company to Test for them) are extremely high. Years ago, say 2010 or '12 I thought I heard something about testing for steroids cost thousands of dollars for employers to do.

Correct? Or am I wrong? If I am right, I would think it wouldn't be worth testing depending on what you do for a living. You could play professional baseball is all we know for sure. Lol. Good luck man.

Due to confidentiality of this site and my workplace I won't say where I work cause of key words google will flag Lookin up the place where I work will bring them to this site also so it's best I keep them separated hope you understand I wouldn't want to compromise the site or the worlplace.. thanks for replying though

Could you switch to TRT? Short term solution?

It would be better to switch to TRT and get it disclosed on your medical records than to fail a drug test.

Sounds like the job is pretty invasive.

I've tried to get trt but my levels are not low enough to be prescribed any replacement.. last time I checked it the Dr said i was in the low normal range

I've tried to get trt but my levels are not low enough to be prescribed any replacement.. last time I checked it the Dr said i was in the low normal range

You could try an anti-aging clinic? They should be more willing to write a script. Might be pricey, but you'd have your script.

Usually those tests (For the Company to Test for them) are extremely high. Years ago, say 2010 or '12 I thought I heard something about testing for steroids cost thousands of dollars for employers to do.

Correct? Or am I wrong? If I am right, I would think it wouldn't be worth testing depending on what you do for a living. You could play professional baseball is all we know for sure. Lol. Good luck man.
Depends on the test, but many can be had for a couple hundred dollars. They're usually done on a case by case basis where it's suspected and could be a concern for the business.

Or.. A gym rat stole their girl as you mentioned haha. :p

You could try an anti-aging clinic? They should be more willing to write a script. Might be pricey, but you'd have your script.

That's probably what I'd do in this situation. Any script is valid, as long as it's dated for prior to the test. ;)

Back