Eating 5,000 Calories a day

DirkMoneyshot said:
I'm not great with math but 75 - 100 lbs in a year or two time is impossible without looking like a fat slob.

So if I catch anyone giving adivice on how to be 300 lbs ect ect and I find out that you weighed 200 lbs a few posts ago you better have some pics or i'm deleting these dumb ass threads.

lolol...ur damn right.

JMHFL7 said:
Many people talk about diets with 5,000 cal. Is that for a typical person 5,10 @ 180lbs or for someone that weighs 250lbs? Dosen't the food go to waste as it is not asimilated (abosorbed) in our bodies if you are 180?

Metabolism and activity levels are individual. Digestive enzymes will help utilize food that might otherwise be wasted, supposedly Optimum Nutrition whey contains this. I pop 1-2 tabs of digestive enzymes with my meals, 2 if they contain red meat.

Ectomorphs have problems with gut efficiency, digestive enzymes are just one thing that can help. There are other areas to attack though for people who dont utilize nutrients well.

Shit I'm hungry now.

175 Lbs now (3 weeks). Started working out and eating (the right way) Nov. 15 2006. I have gained 6lbs. From 169 to 175. I'm still on the same diet. I started using 300mg 1st week, then 400mg from there on of EQ. EQ hits on the 3 - 6 week! Looking to go to at least 185, hopefully 190!

huskyguy said:
There is a genetic component, 5000 calories is ridiculous for many people and could be what another person needs to put on weight. Also where those 5000 calories come from does make a difference, if most of those calories come from sugar and simple starches the effects on insulin production will be different if most of those calories come from proteins and fats. The most important thing is that everyone is different so giving a number such as 5000 calories does not make any sense. Dialing it in takes a bit of experimentation until you get it right. Just because Lee Priest says he eats a certain way does not mean anyone else should ever try to copy what he says he does. Get to know your body, and the less processed your food is the better it is.

Another good point by huskyguy. You can gain weight or lose weight on a 5000 cal diet, and gain or lose muscle/fat, depending on what it consists of.

Mudge said:
Metabolism and activity levels are individual. Digestive enzymes will help utilize food that might otherwise be wasted, supposedly Optimum Nutrition whey contains this. I pop 1-2 tabs of digestive enzymes with my meals, 2 if they contain red meat.

Ectomorphs have problems with gut efficiency, digestive enzymes are just one thing that can help. There are other areas to attack though for people who dont utilize nutrients well.

Shit I'm hungry now.
What are these digestive enzymes?

Double3 said:
What are these digestive enzymes?
there a lot to choose from:
trypsin
chymotrypsin
pepsin
etc
etc
etc
look for products that contain protease..these enzymes help break down food and help you absorb more nutritrients.

i would just find a product that contained more than one type of enzyme in it.
there a lot out there. but i'm not sure a best over all winner.
and remember yogurt is loaded with the shit.

140LBs and 3500 Cal

Based on information I found mostly here on this forum, I've calculated my basic metabolic rate, taking into account my level of daily activity, to be around 2500 calories. I am only 140lbs, 5'10", and 21 years old. Because I am trying to add 2lbs per week of muscle, I've just begun a 3500 calorie diet. I'm going for very high protein and low fat - 450g protein, 250g carb, 75g fat per day. Let's put that into perspective:

If I were to eat my daily intake of protein all in ground beef, I'd be eating almost 5lbs a day. But I'd get twice my daily fat intake and be 250g short on carb. This is for 93/7 ground beef.

If all in boneless skinless chicken breasts, it'd take 35 of them to get my daily protein intake. I'd have taken in about the right amount of fat and I'd still need a lot of carb.

If I got it from whey protein drinks containing 1g carb, 1.5g fat, and 23g protein per serving (the specs of the vanilla stuff Wal Mart sells, which tastes like shit but has good nutritional specs), I would have to drink almost 20 of them a day. Then I would still have to get most of my fat and carb still on top of that.

However, I live in the middle of nowhere on a farm, and I do labor-intensive work all day. This is a shitload of protein for someone my size, and the calorie intake requires much more effort than you would think if I want it in the right proportions. Sure, I could get my calorie intake fairly easily from eating high-carb or fat foods (pretty much everything that's not tuna, ultra lean ground beef, protein powder, etc.) but that would not be converted to high quality solid muscle very well.

Eating to bulk is expensive. I'm a newb to this all, but I've studied a lot the past few days, and this is what I've found out. You need to keep a journal to check your intake, or you're probably not getting sufficient calories to meet your goals, or you're getting calories from the wrong sources—or both. If someone says they're on a 5000 calorie diet (unless half of those calories come from fat), ask to see their journal. If they're not rich enough to spend $10-$15 a day on food alone, they're probably full of shit.

reb85, stop being ridiculous. 450g protein is over 3 times your weight in protein...this is far beyond any sane recommendation. 1.5-2g per pound of bodyweight is all you need. Anymore will be stored as bodyfat, period.

And at 2 pounds of muscle per week, you should be up 100 fat free pounds by the end of the year. This isnt even possible with drugs. Granted you may need lots of cals since you do labor intensive work on a farm all day, but regardless of what/how much you eat, youre not gaining two pounds of muscle a week.

Last edited:
If you can legitimately gain 1/2 lb of LBM every week you are really doing well. This is without raising your BF significantly cause anyone can add sheer amounts of LBM and Fat at the same time but when you finally diet it all off there will still be the same amount of LBM as if you were to go slower.

Suareezay, correct me if I'm wrong that you disagree with:

http://www.steroidology.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76217

I used the method described in this thread to calculate my intake.

I should note that I'm not looking for 2lb/week forever. Muscle gains with the proper intake and activity are generally accepted to come at a greater rate initially than after the first few weeks. Obviously I'm not going to gain 100lb in a year.

2-3 is overkill and doesnt provide any benefit over 1-2g per pound. Its like filling your gas 25 gallon gas tank with 50g of gas in hopes of getting more mileage out of that one tank of gas.

Your calorie intake seems high, but it may be what you need considering the work you do, so im not commenting on that, just the outrageous protien intake.

Granted, gains do come faster when you start out, and people tend to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time during this time, I just dont see 2 lean pounds per week happening unless you 1. are on drugs or 2. have god-like genetics.

Last edited:
Back