Eating

SemperFi 0321

Mainly a question for Frosty out of curiousity.....

What would be the result if someone decided, instead of eating 6 meals throughout the day, to eat every 15-20 minutes all day. Still the same amount of calories, protein and carbs. What would this do to the body? It's not feasible for a person who works or goes to school, but would it help at all if you could do it this way? I'm just curious. Don't think I could handle it, but still curious.

Semper Fi

I have no idea based on any real experience or hearing from people who have experienced it, so I can't say the real world results.

As to what I think...I think it would give your body a steady input of nutrients, help keep insulin levels in check, put less overal stress on the digestive system, less potential waste of nutrients, etc. I would THINK this would be beneficial, but I don't know when it would really make a difference.

When I am bulking I try to come as close to this as possible--the compromise is 6 to 7 full meals a day with snacks in between--I try to keep the snacks high in protein such as protein bars, hard boiled eggs, a glass of milk, small sandwich etc. It seems like I am constantly eating but I probably do not eat every fifteen minutes. I am lucky I work for a place that this kind of eating is not a problem and my boss is incredibly supportive of my bodybuilding--he even put in an extra fridge for all of my food. The results last year I put on over 50lbs in a 8 month period.

The boss uses a headhunter to steal people from other companies, if you are a civil engineer or an architect you might actually hear from us.

Think this one through and you'll have your answer -

1.) When ingesting food what hormone does your body secreate.
2.) When dieting what is the hormone you want to minimize.

If you answered INSULIN to the above questions your correct. So by eating every 15 - 20 min your body is CONSTANTLY secreating insulin to transport those nutrients. What do you think your going to do to your BF levels. Yep help increase them.

6 - 7 meals / day is fine, but more than that and your asking for problems.

DirkMoneyshot said:
Think this one through and you'll have your answer -

1.) When ingesting food what hormone does your body secreate.
2.) When dieting what is the hormone you want to minimize.

If you answered INSULIN to the above questions your correct. So by eating every 15 - 20 min your body is CONSTANTLY secreating insulin to transport those nutrients. What do you think your going to do to your BF levels. Yep help increase them.

6 - 7 meals / day is fine, but more than that and your asking for problems.

Whoah whoah, hang on a second.

How does constantly secreting LOW levels of insulin = fat gain?

Muscle normally only responds to only a certain amount of insulin, and if you go above that, you're going to stimulate fat storage. i.e. eating donuts at night, while slightly anabolic to muscles, causes the body to secrete so much insulin that most of the insulin is used to store the glucose as fat. Let's make another example to make myself clear. Say your body can secrete insulin on a level of 0-10, ten being the highest secretion possible. Muscle might only respond to maybe a level 2 or 3. So what happens when you eat something that causes a monster insulin response (10)? All that insulin above 3 is used for fat storage, which is a lot. Now, keep in mind that these numbers are just artibrary examples, and also lifting weights and sprinting alters the level that muscles respond to insulin (they might respond up to 7 or 8, for example).

So if you have a gradual low secretion of insulin all day, then wouldn't that promote the nutrients going to the muscles instead of the fat?

Frosty said:

How does constantly secreting LOW levels of insulin = fat gain?

Muscle normally only responds to only a certain amount of insulin, and if you go above that, you're going to stimulate fat storage. i.e. eating donuts at night, while slightly anabolic to muscles, causes the body to secrete so much insulin that most of the insulin is used to store the glucose as fat. Let's make another example to make myself clear. Say your body can secrete insulin on a level of 0-10, ten being the highest secretion possible. Muscle might only respond to maybe a level 2 or 3. So what happens when you eat something that causes a monster insulin response (10)? All that insulin above 3 is used for fat storage, which is a lot. Now, keep in mind that these numbers are just artibrary examples, and also lifting weights and sprinting alters the level that muscles respond to insulin (they might respond up to 7 or 8, for example).

So if you have a gradual low secretion of insulin all day, then wouldn't that promote the nutrients going to the muscles instead of the fat?

Ahhh........so here's the question.

If he gets out of bed in the morning with his insulin at say a one. Eats and it moderately rises to say a 3. He eats 15-30 minutes later....has his insulin spike returned to normal or does it now increase to 4,. Next 15-30 he eats and it's up to 5. Next meal up to 6?

Is 15-30 minutes between meals enough time to allow the insulin level to drop back down or does it continue to rise throughout the day?

I'm actually curious for your response on this one Frosty. I'm sure you can google out some research on it for me.

Thanks a bunch. :)

Frosty said:

Please go back and read what you just wrote.......I think you agree, you made everyone dumber for having read that.

:40oz:

rubberduckyo said:
Ahhh........so here's the question.

If he gets out of bed in the morning with his insulin at say a one. Eats and it moderately rises to say a 3. He eats 15-30 minutes later....has his insulin spike returned to normal or does it now increase to 4,. Next 15-30 he eats and it's up to 5. Next meal up to 6?

Is 15-30 minutes between meals enough time to allow the insulin level to drop back down or does it continue to rise throughout the day?

I'm actually curious for your response on this one Frosty. I'm sure you can google out some research on it for me.

Thanks a bunch. :)

Ok, I'm just thinking outloud here...no research to back me up.

Say you normally eat 400g of carbs per day, and let's make it easy and say all of those carbs are from oatmeal. Let's also simplify it and just say that the person is sedentary (I know I know, this doesn't happen, but work with me for a sec). With those 400g of oatmeal, I would think you would get a certain amount of insulin secretion.

Now, I would THINK the amount of insulin would be the same no matter how often you ate, but the peak levels would depend on how often you eat. For example, if you ate all 400g in one meal, then you would get all that insulin all at once and have a very large spike in blood insulin levels. Now, if you ate it in 3 meals, you would still have the same amount of insulin secreted overall, but there would be 3 peak levels, but all smaller than the 1 big one if it were only one meal.

Sooo, I would THINK if you ate the same amount of carbs during the day, eating many many small meals would give you the same amount of insulin released, but the peak levels would be MUCH lower than if you ate it all in only a few meals.

And this would be more productive for muscular gains. Of course things like exercise alter insulin sensitivity of muscles, so you can eat more carbs after a workout without any problem.

again, just my thoughts.

id just like to say that i ate 9-10 complete meals/day for over 5 years and it ended up royally fucking up my digestive tract, diagnosed ibs w/spastic colon, i think there is something to be said for spacing your meals out to regular times and intervals, i believe 3 meals just wont do it for weight gain but trying to stay in the 4-6 meal/day range seems more reasonable, jesus every 15 mins? seems to me all the acid release and overworking of the digestive tract has to lead to a wearing point, assuming your muscles could handle it, what do you think it would do to your shoulders/elbows if you benched every 15 mins?

Back