equipment

damn i cant embed picture either...write research supply instead of the asterisks

Last edited:
damn i cant embed picture either...write research supply instead of the asterisks

I believe I know what you're talking about here. The hand pump and a bottle top filter??? If so, I've heard of alot of people saying that it works, I actually use the bottle top filter just as a prefilter then move on to syringe filter after but I would assume that if you had a very sterile environment (which most kitchens aren't) then you could put 100 mls safely through a sterile bottle top filter like a nalgene or a millipore 90mm media size and if everything very very sterile that would be enough, as long as your filter media (paper) is .22 micron.
Does that help? Is that the type filter with a hand pump for vacuum?

I believe I know what you're talking about here. The hand pump and a bottle top filter??? If so, I've heard of alot of people saying that it works, I actually use the bottle top filter just as a prefilter then move on to syringe filter after but I would assume that if you had a very sterile environment (which most kitchens aren't) then you could put 100 mls safely through a sterile bottle top filter like a nalgene or a millipore 90mm media size and if everything very very sterile that would be enough, as long as your filter media (paper) is .22 micron.
Does that help? Is that the type filter with a hand pump for vacuum?

yup your right. the complete millipore unit with a vaccum hand pump. the unit is .22microns. will these two work together and is this all i need to actually filter it??

yup your right. the complete millipore unit with a vaccum hand pump. the unit is .22microns. will these two work together and is this all i need to actually filter it??

Well like I said, I have heard alot of feed back of ppl using just that to filter and skipping the syringe filter. But I don't do it like that. Since the bottletop filter I have is used with a vacuum pump it goes really fast and I just go ahead and filter through whatman too, but I have been accused and very much am super cautious. I think it would be fine to do it like that if you are very very sterile.
Does anyone else have any input?

RJ?

Personally I just use a .45 syringe filter and cook the gear good. I have never had a problem pushing gear through a .45 as long as you warm it up good.
I like to take the 100ml vial I mixed in, seal it up with a stopper covered by duct tape. I stick a pin in it so it can breath, then I put it in a pan with about an inch of water in it and put it on the stove. I get the water boiling, and then using a rag (not to burn my hand) I grab the vial, draw, and filter.
IMO, it all boils down to having quality supplies, as even double-filtering shit is just going to leave you with cleaner shit. And believe me, I speak from experience about filtering shit.

Making huge quantaties woulnt be any good with syringe filter

I think if you want huge quantities use the Filter unit, should be same shit?

Back