Extremely Lean Guys With Little Muscle

iron addict

As a trainer one of the biggest challenges I face is dealing with extremely lean guys with little muscle. Most of the time they are ecto’s or have lots of ecto tendencies. Take a 175 lb guy that is hovering at about 8% bodyfat and guess what happens if they add 2-3 lbs of fat? They can see it immediately. Compound this with the fact that many, if not most of these guys tend to carry the fat right around the waist and you have a guy that usually freaks out when they gain the slightest amount of fat.

Please, next time you are in the supermarket pick up a 3 lb package of hamburger or steak. Now first understand that 3 lbs of fat will take up more volume because it is not as dense. Hold the package next to your stomach (never mind the looks you are getting) and visualize what that would look like if it were 3 lbs of fat there. OK, as you can graphically see it can really make a difference.

Next thing to understand is that 3 lbs of fat can be dieted off by almost anyone in less than 2 weeks. It’s no big deal. BUT…..many of you see the slightest bit go to your mid-section FREAK-OUT and then either want to switch to diet mode, or you quit eating the macro-nutrients and kcals you need for mass gains. And you FAIL…..or at least make the process of accumulating mass WAY harder than it need be.

I train 70+ people at a time and many of them are yo-yo’s in regard to this. They just a couple of pounds of body-fat and immediately want to do a cut or mini-cut cycle. Since I have shown many of them just how easy it is to drop body-fat and maintain or build muscle while doing so they are constantly going back and forth. While there is nothing wrong with it, it is not as productive as eating a SLIGHTLY over kcal diet with tons of protein and adding muscle at a faster pace. Sometimes you need to take a ½ step back to go 2 steps forward.

I see guys all the time that are 8-10% bodyfat that think they are fat, and many of these guys just are afraid to eat enough to grow, slight anorexia and lifting don’t go together very well.

I don’t do traditional “bulk’ diets for anyone. I think it’s a misguided approach for anyone except for those VERY genetically prone to EASY body-fat loss, and usually doing gear. I always want the muscle to go on with a minimal amount of bodyfat accompanying it. But being extreme about ZERO bodyfat gain when seriously trying to add muscle does make the job harder. If I have my way the trainee cuts to about 8% “lean bulks” to maybe 12% and then does a quick cut to get back down. This has the trainee looking damn good year round while making the job easy for everyone, but those that freak-out about the slightest bodyfat gain.

Iron Addict

Hey excellent post! I'm one of those guys who have been lean with little muscles for a long time. When I learnt the importance of eating (and learnt how to eat), I started growing. I have been bulking for 6 months now and gained 27 lbs and little BF due to my fast metabolism, but anyway, I don't care about bf now. I just want to get big.
As you said, burning the fat is easy for us ectomorphs.

i follow a similar approach.

Through sept-jan or feb then do a mini cut to about april then lean bulk through summer until the next sept.

I dont mind putting on some fat while gainig nice size as quick as possible through my all out bulk in the winter, then cut some fat then slow steady bulk through summer. This has me looking good year round i guess, but this is through trial and error and listenig to my body and I will be fine tuning this throughout this next few montsh

Who cares what girls say they like just get eat more than you are accustomed to and grow. Good post. No rocket science just solid facts.

Good post. See alot of those guys, always wonder why they cant' get big, but are afraid to eat. Go figure.

I used to be one of those guys.

Anyway, there is a reason to be careful about fat gain. Once you pass a certain point, your body will start making new fat cells instead of just packing stuff into your existing fat cells. I'm not sure at which point this starts to occur... but once you have new fat cells, it is very difficult to get rid of them unless you get liposuction.
Not that this is a huge concern... unless you balloon up to 40% bodyfat or something. But it is why I try to avoid going too far over 16% before cutting back down to 8.

Regardless, if you train right and watch your diet, you should be able to get pretty huge without crossing over 16%. I've made it up to 220 without getting enormously fat, after starting out at 150 a loooong time ago. And that's natural.

I think the biggest problem though is that so many of them don't realize that you have to eat to grow muscles. They think lifting weights will magically make muscles appear. Heh. Right.

Hey, Iron_Addict. That was a damn good article. Where can I find your advice for dieting for endomorphs?

yea im like them except i dont care about putting on a little fat because i know it would make me look better. my problem is i dont have the time to spend eating enough to get bigger. I was wondering how some of you really big guys can eat enough to maintain your size. Im sure most of us have to make our own food, and with either job/school, making your food, then eating it . i donno maybe i just have to really buckle down.

jackcity10 said:
yea im like them except i dont care about putting on a little fat because i know it would make me look better. my problem is i dont have the time to spend eating enough to get bigger. I was wondering how some of you really big guys can eat enough to maintain your size. Im sure most of us have to make our own food, and with either job/school, making your food, then eating it . i donno maybe i just have to really buckle down.
YOu just have to MAKE time. Its frikken tough, especially at 1st. And trying to bring extra meals/snacks to the job is a royal pain in the a$$. Then if u don't get your break, youre trying to eat on the run and sometimes u can't even do that. You adapt though, and the results are worth it....if you can afford to pay the grocery bill that is.

jackcity10 said:

Like joshbeam1 said, you have to make time and eat. Eating is a must when bulking.

jackcity10 said:

Stop trying to eat clean. That's usually why most scrawny guys can't get enough food. You're going to just have to accept that and start eating calorie dense foods, otherwise you won't be able to take in enough calories to bulk up.

Back