Fish Oil

Who is Mike Jones?

http://www.2girls1cup.com
Was doing some reading and it suggested to increase lean muscle mass, you should be consuming 30 - 45 grams of fish oil a day. Seems like a lot to me. Anyone here taking that much and seeing a benefit?

gumbo said:
I take up to 10 grams daily. I never heard of taking 30-45 grams.
By Charles Poliquin

In many seminars, I always get asked which supplements are best to gain mass. My answers will surprise many of you.

Here they are:

1. Fish Oil

What? Fish oil? That is not cool, avant-garde, sexy, or exotic. Fish oil?

Yes. Fish oil. You cannot be anabolic with enough Omega 3s. For example, I was once training a first-round pick for the NFL. He put on 29 lbs of lean body mass in one month once I jacked his fish oil intake to 45 grams a day. If you want to put muscle on and lose fat, take at least 30 grams of fish oil a day.

Additional reasons for using fish oil include:

It reduces inflammation.
It improves insulin sensitivity: makes glucose and amino acids get better in your starved muscle cells.

Taking fish oil in a liquid form is the most economical way of doing it. But taking them every meal works best. I always recommend a combination of liquid and capsules - Liquid for home meals, and capsules for away from home meals.

2. Primal Greens:

I take fish oil every day, but never gone up to that kind of dose. it might be effective at this dose, but is the cost-results ratio acceptbale if you go for 45 grams a day ?

It just like those articles telling us to take 500 grams of protien everyday assuming no steroids are in use, is it worth it for a natty who has almost reached his potential max ? i dont think the results will be satisfying.

If you have the money to take higher dosages, go for it. I'm not too keen on taking 30+ fish oil capsules every day. 10 per day is enough for me.

gumbo said:
If you have the money to take higher dosages, go for it. I'm not too keen on taking 30+ fish oil capsules every day. 10 per day is enough for me.

I checked to see if the there are pills that are greater than 1000 mg and was hard pressed to find any . . . .I couldn't imagine taking 30+ pills a day . . .

Who is Mike Jones? said:
I checked to see if the there are pills that are greater than 1000 mg and was hard pressed to find any . . . .I couldn't imagine taking 30+ pills a day . . .
Get oil then

Is this right? 30-45g of fish oil. I have been taking 2g ED (directions on bottle) and now after reading this i might have to bump it up X 20

Is this right? 30-45g of fish oil. I have been taking 2g ED (directions on bottle) and now after reading this i might have to bump it up X 20

no, megadosing fish oil is just a goofy off-the-wall recommendation.

DHA saturates in the body at 1.2g/day, which IIRC is 10 DHA+EPA (regular ol fish oil) caps (although theres no "standard" cap, and this number can vary substantially). Anything above that is just extra fat in your diet, save for arthritis/anti-inflammatory issues.

Another issue ive seen brought up is that mega-dosing fish oil can impair the bodies ability to mount an immune or inflammatory response.

And what do you know, Poliquin (the guy generally associated with fish oil mega-dosing, among other goofy shit) just happens to sell fish oil.
http://www.charlespoliquin.com/store/home.php?cat=251

Last edited:
So 1.2g of fish oil is all your body will use? A lot of people here are taking 20+ grams and reccommending it.

So 1.2g of fish oil is all your body will use? A lot of people here are taking 20+ grams and reccommending it.

thats 1.2g of DHA, not fish oil. 1000mg of a general fish oil concentrate contains 120mg DHA.

120mg x 10 caps = 1.2g

Last edited:
25 per day here...haven't stopped hitting PR's since I've been taking. I recommend.

Back