Flax Oil

sadgirl22

Thanks to the advice of you gals, I was able to tweak my diet a little. I am taking Fyre's advice and adding the flax oil to my protein shakes. I started this today, and all I have to say is...YUCK! :Puke:

I added 1 Tbsp. to 8oz. of liquid (1/2 skim, 1/2 water) along with one scoop of Optimum 100% Whey Chocolate Protein. It tasted nasty! I had to hold my nose so I would not taste it!!! Any suggestions?

lol...do u really find it that bad?
I have to admit it doesn't taste great. You're using chocolate whey right? Try adding a tablespoon of natural peanut butter to your shake as well. That should help mask the taste a bit. You can also add it or make a salad dressing out of it too. Or you could go extreme and just shoot it into your mouth and chug back some grapefruit juice afterwards...lol
And if you absolutely can't take the taste, switch over to Udo's Ultimate Oil Blend, it has more of a nutty flavor to it. Another idea is to mix it in with your tuna salad at lunch. I hope we can find something that works for u sweetie. ;)

I can't stand it AT ALL. I'm supposed to take 1/2 tsp w/ every shake, so I put it in 1 tsp measuring spoon, and put a couple drops of salad dressing and shoot it! Can't even taste it!

redsquirrel said:
I can't stand it AT ALL. I'm supposed to take 1/2 tsp w/ every shake, so I put it in 1 tsp measuring spoon, and put a couple drops of salad dressing and shoot it! Can't even taste it!

Well since I started making my shakes with water cuz it's cutting time, the flax is tasting really gross in my shakes...lol
so, now I just put one tablespoon in a shot glass and shoot it back and chase it with a little grapefruit juice. I was surprised I couldn't taste it at all. I take 3 tablespoons a day now so I need to get it down somehow. This seems to work for me.
I do however think I'm going to switch back to the Udo's Ultimate Oil blend, it's just a little expensive for how fast I go through it but it does taste way better.:p

What kind do you use? I use the Barleans High Lignan flax and a glass of water. Fill my mouth with water and 1 tablespoon down the hatch. It tasted really bad the first day or two and now it doesnt bother me at all. The after taste was what got my the first couple of days.

The kind I use is some crap from GNC. Instead of a Tablespoon, I mix in a Teaspoon of the oil in with 4oz. water, 4oz. soy milk, and 1 scoop of Optimum 100% Whey Chocolate. I can barely even taste it that way...it tastes good! :p

LOL@Mrs. P..'Dat be about the only way I could gag it down.

Have you ever tried actual Flax seed? I buy it in bulk at the health food store. I can gag it down better than the oil. I sprinkle the stuff all over my food.

I use to bake/cook with it..But..Found that I should NOT do that cuz it breaks down it's usefullness. Who 'da thunk?

Cooking with it...I tried that, using the oil to brown garlic in then browning broccoli in it. I could eat it that way, hubby hated it, then I found out it ruins the oil's properties. It does come in gellcaps. I just do those now.

just spoon it and then slam down a glass of water as a chaser. If your taking Flax then your more thna likely dedicated to making your body become its best. Take one for the team and just slam it! "You Go Girl"

I'm using Herbal Selects Flax Oil right now but I'm going to switch back next week to Udo's Oil. I tried some Hemp Seed Oil last night and that wasn't too bad to just shoot back.

MrsPuddlesFL said:
How about doin it like a shot of tequilla? Salt, drink, suck on a lime.

LOL! You're too much, Mrs P.

I mix mine with my salad dressing and put it on my salad. Gotta be a strong dressing though. I like Wisbone's Fat Free Italian.

Fyre said:
I'm using Herbal Selects Flax Oil right now but I'm going to switch back next week to Udo's Oil. I tried some Hemp Seed Oil last night and that wasn't too bad to just shoot back.

Herbal Select also makes a 3*6*9 Oil Blend that is really quite tasty - although it does contain salmon oil...which a lot of people don't seem to enjoy. It's also twice the cost of the flax oil...but I'm hooked on it.

Back