founding Sterile Syringe Filter

Lol. The filter is no different. When they say sterile, they are talking about the way it's packages. It comes in a sealed package as opposed to an unsealed.

It's not the actual filter that is sterile. So you are paying for them to seal the filter but as soon as you open it, and the air touches the outside it is the same one you can purchase for less.

Do you see what I'm saying? If you don't believe me, contact whatman and ask them.

For IM, once you solution passes thru the filter, inside the housing, is where it becomes sterile. The inside of that filter is no different whether it says sterile or unsterile. Do you think you would filter something to sterilize it in an unsterile environment?

There would be no point in filtering, if your filter could contaminate your solution. They are speaking of the way it's packaged and nothing else.

Read the sticky in this forum. I think it's the kitchen chemist cook book or one of them. It's covered in there as well.

When you are buying bottle tops, they are all sold as a sterile unit, but the only thing that really is sterile is the receiver bottle.

And how could the filter in a syringe filter remain sterile? As soon as you connect a syringe and push an unsterile solution thru it, it would no longer be sterile.

The filer membrane is what stops all particulates from getting thru, that is the sterilization process.

SO YOU DO NOT NEED TO BUT STERILE SYRINGE FILTERS. FOR ANYONE GETTING STARTED DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THEM. THEY ARE SEELING YOU STERILE PACKAGING.

Contact whatman and they will give you the same answer.

And you should not spread info when you don't know what you are talking about. After years of doing this I've never had a problem. I don't bother with syringe filters except foe making suspension but you are simply wrong on this one.

If paying extra makes you feel better about yourself then go for it but I would be more concerned with the things that matter in keeping a solution sterile.

Let me guess, you also think baking will make it sterile?

First, whats up with the "LOL"? Are you really "laughing out loud"?

Would you feel better if your filter came in seal container or plain bag. Remember you do not know where that filter has been. If you had your choice between sealed/sterile or loose filters which one would you get?

Nice comment on the baking..

Also, it's not too bright to post how long you have been making products..

Yes I'm really laughing. I guess you don't understand the concept of a filter.
We don't need to agree, but do you really think that the outside housing remains sterile once you open the package. There is a reason that a lab has a certified clean room. But for the average person, simply opening the package technically contaminates what you are considering to be sterile, touching it does the same and then you are pushing an unsterile solution into it, so how is this any different?

The point is for it to remain sterile after it passes thru the filter.

Either way it's not worth arguing over, I agree that sterile filters are great, but when it comes to syringe filters you aren't getting anything different by purchasing sterile filters. Try a quick search or read some of the sticky's, I'm sure you will find that I'm not the only one who considers this a normal practice. I'm not asking you to change your mind, stick with what works for you.

I say no to .45 bros, I got an infection from it. It sure is pain in the ass to push through .22 but you know its sterile for sure.

Here is what I did.

Warm the mixture, then filter through .2 or .22 sytinge filter

Then get a little pot filled with medium-high temperature water like about to boil coffee water temperature, maybe bit hotter, place vials in pot, let it get cooked for 30 minutes.

I did this and its pretty much as sterile as it can get :p No infection!

Back