Ginger: Stuff to Know

Nutri-Wrestler

I remember from a while ago that ginger is suppose to aid in protein abosorbtion by dialating the intestines which exposes a higher surface area.

Here is some info on Ginger:

For about 2,500 years, ginger was widely used in Asia for a number of reasons. Ginger is known to help stimulate appetite, prevent nausea, and make ya sweat.

For allergies and asthma: Platelet activating factor wich initiates inflammation in allergies and asthma, becomes more active after changes in blood chemistry that occur in a high fat diest. Dried ginger can counteract the effect. Ginger can also be used for upset stomach cause by food allergies.

Arthritis, bursitis and other -itis things: Ginger will inhibit the production of immune system components called cytokines. Cytokines create a long-term tendency toward inflammation. Ginger also stimulates blood flow circulation. These effects make ginger usefull in treating disorders associated with swelling and pain, such as arthritis. During a 3 year study of the effects of ginger on rheumetoid arthritis showed that 75% of patients recieved relief from pain and swelling by taking powdered ginger.

Atheriosclerosis and high cholesterol: Ginger retards the production of cholesterol in the liver. A study in India showed the the consumption of 5grams of ginger a day for seven days reversed the the increase in triglycerides and LDL induced by adding about 3 ounces of butter to the daily diet. And dont forget that ginger decreases PAF activity (Platelet-activating factor). PAF and high-cholesterol increase short term risk for heart attack, or myocardial infarction (hehe, just had to sound smart )

Cancer, indegestion, motion sickness, nausea and everyones favorte.... vommiting:
An "age old secret" of ginger is that it helps quell upset stomach and nausea. It can also be used by women for morning sicknes, or guys too if they get knocked up i guess. For motion sickness, ginger has shown to more effective than Dramamine for motion sickness. Ginger also eases nausea caused by methoxselan, chemo therapy that is light activated. A dose of 1.5 grams was used for the chemo study.
Post surgery ginger is a good anti-nausea thing when combied with the drug metoclopramide

Colds, flu, and strep: The ginger compound shagaol kills cold viruses at a concentration of less that one part per million. The unprocessed herb is effective in treating colds and useful for flu and strep b/c of its pain relieving properties.

Parasitic infection (and no this doesnt include your younger sibling, and for the unfortunate few, a nagging wife):
Ginger contains a chemical called zingibain taht dissolve parasites and their eggs. Have you ever wondered why when you eat sushi they usually give you ginger? Turns out it is because that in a lab, ginger extract was shown to kill anisakid worm, a parasite sometimes carried in raw fish. Also, ginger tea is useful in treating schistosomiasis, a parasitic disease that is becoming more prevalent in tourists returning to the U.S.

Seizure disorders: Ginger protects the body from hepatotoxic effects of valporic acid (Depakene). Usuing Ginger on a daily basis for a month can noticealy improve elevated levels of the liver enzymes alanine aminotransferase (ALT) and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) casued by valporic acid use.

Use: Although warnings in chinese medicine say ginger will stimulate uterine contarctions, no studies have confirmed this effect, even after using 15-40 grams a day.

Ginger can increase the potency of medicines used to prevent blood clots, such as aspirin, clopidogrel, ticlopidine, or warfarin. Talk with your doc before mixin ginger with the above mentioned meds.

Ginger can prolong sleep due to the consumption of barbituates. Ginger does not effect the CNS, but is believed to increase absorbtion of barbituates in the intestinal tract.

If you have gall stones, talk to your doc before hand. Ginger can inhibit the absorbtion of dietary iron and fat soluable vitamins. Avoid ginger 2 weeks prior to surgery.

*Ginger helps prevent intestinal blockage.

All this came from Prescription for Herbal Healing by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC.

I remember reeading somewhere that Ginger will dialate your intestines which allow for a larger cell surface area to be exposed to the digested food which will increase absorbtion.

hope this helped,
NW

Ginger Root is excellent to use if you are taking in high levels of protein. I find it really helps me a lot, I don't feel bloated when i use it.

Back