Guess how much IGF-1 is used to treat human patients?

Moppy1

Been researching IGF-1 and IGF-1 LR3 and what has been used in humans in various clinical trials versus what has caught on in BB circles, and as usually there is a huge discrepancy

1) First, realize that your IGF-1 or IGF-LR3 has to be made recombinantly in E. coli, just like HGH is made, or it will never work. Peptide synthesis companies do not make bioactive IGF-1 LR3.

2) Second, the average dosage of IGF-1 used in humans in well over 5 clinical trials is 4-8 mg a day, per injection, 2x a day!!! (average dosage is 0.1mg/kg/day). IGF-1 LR3 is more potent with a longer half life, so you could probably get away with 2-3x lower dosage, but that is still like 3-4 mg per day, which is like 3-4 full kits with of Igtropin, for a single injection!!! Hence, no one in the BB community is using IGF-1 correctly, at a dosage that will work clinically

Here is a summary from the FDA on 5 previous clinical trials with IGF-1:

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES
Public Health Service
Food and Drug Administration
Silver Spring, MD 20993

FDA Summary of Controlled Clinical Data for
Human IGF-1 in Treatment of Patients with
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis

FDA is aware of 5 sources of controlled clinical
data evaluating recombinant human IGF-1 (rhIGF-1, or
IGF-1) for treatment of patients with Amyotrophic Later
al Sclerosis (ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease). The
data from these sources are summarized below.
The first 2 data sources are controlled clinical trials
that were submitted by Cephalon in support of their
New Drug Application (NDA) for the use of IGF-1
(proposed Tradename Myotrophin) in ALS. FDA has
not approved IGF-1 for treatment of ALS.

Study 1200 was a multi-center clinical trial perfo
rmed in the United States and Canada in which 266
patients with ALS were randomized to receive eith
er IGF-1 0.05 mg/kg/day, IGF-1 0.1 mg/kg/day, or
placebo, each given in a twice-daily regimen by subc
utaneous injection. Patients were to be treated for 9
months, or until they reached one of 2 pre-specifie
d endpoints: an Appel ALS Scale (AALS) score of 115,
or a Forced Vital Capacity (FVC) of <39%. The
Appel ALS Scale consists of 5 subscales (Bulbar
Function, Respiratory Function, Overall Muscle Strength, Upper Extremity, and Lower Extremity Function)
with scores ranging from 30 (Normal) to 164 (Maxim
al Dysfunction). Patients with a baseline AALS score
of between 40 and 80 were eligible for inclusion in
the trial. Approximately 90 patients were randomized
to each treatment group.

Study 1202 was a multi-center clinical trial performed in
Europe using a protocol very similar to that used
for Study 1200. Study 1202 differed from Study 1200 in
the inclusion of only two treatment groups; 0.1
mg/kg/day IGF-1 and placebo, and the primary outcome measure was the total AALS score. The trial
duration and pre-specified study endpoints
were the same as in Study 1200.
A total of 124 patients were randomized to IGF-1,
and 59 to placebo. There was no statistically significant difference on the primary outcome meas
ure between drug- and placebo-treated patients. A
total of 15% of the drug-treated group, and 8% of
the placebo-treated patient
s, died during double-blind
treatment. This was a multi-center clinical tr
ial in which patients with ALS were randomized to receive IGF-1, 0.1
mg/kg/day or placebo given twice-daily for 2 years. T
here were a total of 330 pati
ents at 20 centers in the
United States. The primary outcome measure was t
he rate of change in the averaged manual muscle
testing score (MMT). The MMT assesses strength in
34 muscle groups, and individual groups are scored
on a 10 point scale. There was no
statistically significant differenc
e between treatment groups on the
primary outcome, and no difference in mortality between the 2 groups.

Cephalon Treatment IND
The trial permitted
patients who were 18 years old or olde
r with a diagnosis of ALS to enter a lottery with the possibility of
receiving IGF-1 0.1 mg/kg/day (given in a twice daily
regimen). The sponsor proposed a lottery because
they did not have sufficient supply of drug to make it
available to all who wanted it. Those patients who
entered the lottery and did not receive drug were continued to be followed in order to obtain mortality data
in both the treated and untreated groups. For each pa
tient who received drug, 10 were untreated.

Japanese Study
(unpublished data submitted to FDA by Cephalon)
A study was performed in Japan by Kyowa Hakko,
a partner of Cephalon. This was a randomized,
placebo-controlled, parallel-group, clinical trial in
which patients with ALS (AALS scores of 40-80 at
screening) were randomized to receive IGF-1, 0.1 mg
/kg/day (given twice daily) or placebo. The study
duration was 9 months, and stopping rules were as in
the Cephalon studies described above. FDA does
not know what the pre-specified primary outcome me
asure was for this trial, but AALS score and “ALS
Severity” were assessed, as well as “Overall Therap
eutic Effects”. There was an open label extension
after patients completed the randomized portion of th
e trial, and based on an interim report of survival
data, Kyowa Hakka apparently voluntarily discontinued treatment. The
results of the mortality data for the
controlled trial are given below

I work in the biomedical sciences and have first hand knowledge of all these things; trial design, drug dosing, pharmacokinetics, how to produce recombinant protein growth factors, etc, etc.

The dosing used by BBs is 100mcg per injection, maybe a little higher for some. This is about 50-fold below what is needed to get muscle growth in humans. All the dosing was previously worked out in animals, even primates. I can tell you mice need as much as 0.2mg/kg/day to see muscle growth, which is an equivalent dosage in humans of 16 mg! The good news is that IGF-1 LR3 has a much longer half-life and this form is probably 3x more potent over standard IGF-1. However, you would still need the equivalent of like 3 igtropin kits a day!

Certainly has put me off from giving it a shot in the future! I'm curious though, is it entirely ineffective at typical BB doses because pretty much everyone I have read that has used it reports a full look to their muscles and that it allowed them to keep gains during PCT. Surely not placebo?

Then how would you explain the hundreds of thousands of people who have had great success with the product. Pros included.
Igtropin has zero relevance in here as if it was an FDA study and I would assume they would be using receptor grade IGF not media grade like Igtropin. There is no comparison between the 2 different grades its like night and day but the average joe will never in his life see or have access to receptor grade. Any company stating it is receptor grade is just trying to charge you extra for media grade. Gropep has the patent for true receptor grade and you would be looking at a cost of about 800-1000 bucks per 1mg so even if it is found to help with diseases at a dosing of lets say 10 mgs who in their right mind insurance companies included would pay 8 grand a day for treatment.

Just trying to give you guys information. Not saying your IGF-1 LR3 cant work for you at 40 mcg or 100mcg, especially if it is from a recombinant source. The scientific process in determining if a drug works and at what dosage is best done in animal studies, rather than asking a body builder if they thought a drug gave them an effect (notoriously unreliable way to assess drug efficacy). Research the issue yourself, even in animal studies, IGF-1 LR3 dosing was 10-20x what BBs use. Lower dosages did not work and had no effect on muscle mass. However, IGF-1 LR3 is one of the most potent ways to put on muscle in animal studies, if given at the right dosages (blows HGH and AAS out of the water).

Here are studies in which skeletal muscle mass was shown increase as much as 20% in many different species, including humans, but the dosing is crazy high (equivalent of 40-100 mg a day)

This study treated mice at 2mg/kg/day
IGF-I treatment improves the functional p... [Neuromuscul Disord. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

This study treated mice at 1mg/kg/day
Improved contractile function of the mdx dystrop... [Am J Pathol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

This study also used 1mg/kg/day
Administration of insulin-like growth factor-I ... [Muscle Nerve. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

This study used IGF-1 at 1.5mg/kg/day
Comparative evaluation of IGF-I gene transfer and ... [Gene Ther. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI

This study used 3.2 mg/kg/day in rats
Effects of insulin-like growth factor... [J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Here is a human study at 0.5 mg/kg/day (This is the equivalent of 40mg! per day in average person)
Musculoskeletal effects of the recom... [J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

These rats lift do they? Obviously, mega doses of IGF-1 like that, you would expect muscle growth without stimulus. It seems clear the reason why such low doses of IGF-1 work so well is because the muscles are being stimulated and setup for growth with training. If you get what I am saying...

These rats lift do they? Obviously, mega doses of IGF-1 like that, you would expect muscle growth without stimulus. It seems clear the reason why such low doses of IGF-1 work so well is because the muscles are being stimulated and setup for growth with training. If you get what I am saying...

If that's the case how do you differentiate the stimulus from training from the IGF? Placebo is a powerful tool. I've never used it so I can't talk from experience but the studies he's posting have some merit n

Good point on working in stimulation as part of the overall response profile, which was not done in the previous human clinical trials with IGF-1. I totally get your point that maybe dosing could be cut down by 5-10-fold or more if part of robust weight lifting regimen. Same is true for AAS, your muscles don't grow with even 2 grams a week of test unless you weight lift. IGF-1 is a little different in its mechanism of action, so muscle growth without exercise is definitely possible, just takes a lot!

If that's the case how do you differentiate the stimulus from training from the IGF? Placebo is a powerful tool. I've never used it so I can't talk from experience but the studies he's posting have some merit n

Rodents seem to be able to grow muscle without much stimulation, as do cows, chickens, pigs, etc, animals that we have selectively bred for meat production. Primates are entirely different and one almost always observes a requirement muscle use to get growth. However, that is not the case with IGF-1 or with myostatin inhibition, both work at baseline in primates without a dependency on lifting weights or a regimen of muscle use.

If we really did IGF-1 at the dosages i have suggested, there would be some very big BBers running around, though only the very wealthy ones.....

Good point on working in stimulation as part of the overall response profile, which was not done in the previous human clinical trials with IGF-1. I totally get your point that maybe dosing could be cut down by 5-10-fold or more if part of robust weight lifting regimen. Same is true for AAS, your muscles don't grow with even 2 grams a week of test unless you weight lift. IGF-1 is a little different in its mechanism of action, so muscle growth without exercise is definitely possible, just takes a lot!

even if we cut it down to 1-2mg a day. thats still an amount 99% of us cant afford. unfortunate

I think it will eventually be possible for us to all use and afford IGF-1. Right now the average dosage of HGH is on the order of 1-4 mg of protein a day, though usually measured and dispensed as IU. So manufacturing of HGH is of the scale that would be needed to make IGF-1 effective, and since these 2 proteins are reasonably similar and production is about the same process, it will hopefully happen.

hopefully. but your saying daily implementation of this after a workout of upwards of 1-2mg will exhibit growth

Back