Heart Healthy diet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goat Ass

Forum *****istrator
Those of you genetically predisposed for heart problems...what sort of dietary precautions do you take and any advice?

I'd make sure to stay away from all processed foods and eat a diet of mainly meat, tons of veggies, and some fruits rich in antioxidants such as berries. I'd stay away from grains and other high carb foods. I would absolutely include at least 9g a day of fish oil, but up to 1g/10 lbs bodyweight to help reduce possible heart problems. I don't really know enough about it, but I'd look into coenzyme q-10. Vegetable juicing would be a good way to get in lots of nutrients. No smoking, drinking, or anything like that, and of course, get in regular cardio.

BTW, I would also include some ORGANIC eggs. Look on the carton. If it says anything about "vegetarian feed" do not buy it. Chickens are not vegetarians.

Goat Ass, my advice would be to have your BP and chol. levels checked regularily by your doctor. your family history is def. a risk factor, but you can possibly prevent it to an extent. avoid high chol diet (clogs arteries), smoking and caffeine (increases BP by constricting arteries) drinking alcohol (clogs arteries), and regular cardio streghtens heart muscles, improves circulation, and takes the LDL's (bad chol.) away from the arteries

Prana

Prana said:
avoid high chol diet (clogs arteries)...

How does a high cholesterol diet clog arteries? People with low cholesterol develop the same amount of plaques as people with high cholesterol.

Yeah, the link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol is a weak one indeed.

Frosty said:
How does a high cholesterol diet clog arteries? People with low cholesterol develop the same amount of plaques as people with high cholesterol.

Listen frosty seems like you just like to cause a lot of BS around here. High chol diets from a person predipsoed to heart disease can spell troulble. I am speaking from experience as a nurse, working on a cardiac unit. Where exactly are you getting your info from? that is the question!

chol. IS PROVEN................. to bind on arterial walls causing vasostriction which leads to HIGH blood pressure, further predisposing a patient to heart attacks, strokes, and coronary diseases ... esp, in a person who has a family hx of heart disease.. I see it day IN AND OUT

Prana said:
Listen frosty seems like you just like to cause a lot of BS around here. High chol diets from a person predipsoed to heart disease can spell troulble. I am speaking from experience as a nurse, working on a cardiac unit. Where exactly are you getting your info from? that is the question!

chol. IS PROVEN................. to bind on arterial walls causing vasostriction which leads to HIGH blood pressure, further predisposing a patient to heart attacks, strokes, and coronary diseases ... esp, in a person who has a family hx of heart disease.. I see it day IN AND OUT

Exactly.............:D

....but unfortunately Frosty once read a book and thinks he knows it all......lmfao !!

StoneColdNTO said:
Exactly.............:D

....but unfortunately Frosty once read a book and thinks he knows it all......lmfao !!

Ahh, so I guess you are well versed in this topic.

Would you care to address my questions? Would you care to address any of the points brought up by Dr. Ravnskov?

Specifically:

"A high blood cholesterol is said to promote atherosclerosis and thus also coronary heart disease. But many studies have shown that people whose blood cholesterol is low become just as atherosclerotic as people whose cholesterol is high."

"There is no evidence that too much animal fat and cholesterol in the diet promotes atherosclerosis or heart attacks. For instance, more than twenty studies have shown that people who have had a heart attack haven't eaten more fat of any kind than other people, and degree of atherosclerosis at autopsy is unrelated with the diet."

You're a joke kid, you quote one doctor and you think his thoughts are the gospel, while there are hundreds of thousands of other doctors that would disagree.

As for me, no I'm not that well versed on the subject , but I am under the care of a cardioligist, so thanks, but I'll continue to listen to him, rather than you or you're Dr.Ravnskov.

There you go again with your diarrhea of the mouth. ;)

Next time you insult me, it would be nice if you actually backed it up.

Many doctors also think that weightlifting is dangerous, you shouldn't squat below parallel, people should eat a very high carb, low protein, and low fat diet. Most doctors reeaaally know what they're doing :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm so glad you're willing to totally dismiss something before you even read it and consider both sides.

Back to the subject at hand....if anyone would actually care to address it.

Also, if this theory of dietary cholesterol and saturated fat is true, then why were the Inuit, Masai, Native Swiss, Native Gaelics, and many other groups of people very healthy and very much disease free when their diets were high in fat and cholesterol. The Inuit and Masai had especially large amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol in their diets. It's also interesting to note that the Masai had very low cholesterol levels (in the area of 140-150). If this theory that saturated fat and cholesterol are bad for you, raise cholesterol, etc, then why did these people not have problems?

Genetics? That's a poor answer, as many studies use Japanese or Chinese with low fat diets as examples for all people to eat since Japanese have lower instances of heart disease. How can you extrapolate the results of one culture across all? And what about Chinese having higher rates of diseases OTHER than heart disease such as stroke?

People didn't live long enough? People have been living to past 60 for a very long time. Just look at some of the founding fathers, and you'll see the average age was over 70 back in a time when the average life expectacy for males was around 36 years. Also, if you insist that people did not live long enough, then how have you established that heart disease is caused by age and not cholesterol? Why do older people live longer when their cholesterol is HIGH?

How have you established correlation with causation? Even though there is no statistically significant correlation, even if there were, how can you establish causation? Just because cholesterol levels are high during a heart attack, that didn't make it the CAUSE. If I buy a TV and have a heart attack, buying a TV has a correlation with a heart attack, but it is not the CAUSE.

hmm, tomorrow at work I'm going to hand out processed high chol foods to all the MI patients..... just to see who needs a bypass first!!

Prana said:
hmm, tomorrow at work I'm going to hand out processed high chol foods to all the MI patients..... just to see who needs a bypass first!!

Processed high cholesterol foods? What is that?

Anyway, if this is so "PROVEN" then all my questions should be easily addressed.

Frosty said:
Also, if this theory of dietary cholesterol and saturated fat is true, then why were the Inuit, Masai, Native Swiss, Native Gaelics, and many other groups of people very healthy and very much disease free when their diets were high in fat and cholesterol. The Inuit and Masai had especially large amounts of saturated fat and cholesterol in their diets. It's also interesting to note that the Masai had very low cholesterol levels (in the area of 140-150). If this theory that saturated fat and cholesterol are bad for you, raise cholesterol, etc, then why did these people not have problems?

THERE ARE MANY FACTORS YOU ARE NOT CONSIDERING MAKING THIS FOOLISH QUOTE. FOR EXAMPLE IN OUR SOCIETY TODAY THE CHOL. IS MAINLY IN PROCESSED FOODS, WHICH WEREN'T IN THEIR DIETS... AND THE AMMT OF FOOD WE CONSUME TODAY IS LARGER AT ONE TIME... MEANING THE BODY CAN ONLY EXCRETE THE MAX AMMT AND THE REST IS STORED IN THE ATERIAL SYSTEM, BACK THEN THE FOOD WAS CLEAN, EASIER TO DIGEST, AND EXCRETED ACCORDINGLY - THEREFORE LOWERING BLOOD CHOL LEVELS

SECONDLY, TODAY SOCIETY IS SEDENTARY. EXCERSISE TAKES THE CHOL AWAY FROM THE ARTERIES ...

*(THIS IS ALL MY OPINION, NOT OUT OF SOME BOOK)

Genetics? That's a poor answer, as many studies use Japanese or Chinese with low fat diets as examples for all people to eat since Japanese have lower instances of heart disease. How can you extrapolate the results of one culture across all? And what about Chinese having higher rates of diseases OTHER than heart disease such as stroke?

AHHAAH PLEASE DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THIS STUPID COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT A STROKE IS? STROKES ARE ALSO CAUSED FROM CHOL /FAT DEPOSITS IN THE ARTERIES. IN A STROKE THE COROID ARTERY TO YOUR BRAIN (AT THE SIDES OF YOUR NECK) ARE NARROWED OR OCCLUDED BY PLAGUE, AND THE BLOOD DOESN'T REACH YOUR BRAIN, IN A HEART ATTACK, THE BLOOD DOESN'T REACH YOUR HEART, OR A CLOT DOES FIRST IN BOTH INSTANCES. IT ALL STEMS FROM PLAGUE IN THE ATERIES...THEREFORE HEART DISEASE AND STROKE IN 99% OF THE CASES GO HAND IN HAND

People didn't live long enough? People have been living to past 60 for a very long time. Just look at some of the founding fathers, and you'll see the average age was over 70 back in a time when the average life expectacy for males was around 36 years. Also, if you insist that people did not live long enough, then how have you established that heart disease is caused by age and not cholesterol? Why do older people live longer when their cholesterol is HIGH?

TODAY PEOPLE LIVE LONGER DUE TO MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY: MEDICATION, SURGERY, AMPUTATIONS

AND BEFORE, DIET AND EXCERSISE. HOWEVER PEOPLE DIDN'T LIVE LONG DUE TO UNCURABLE DISEASES SUCH AS DIABETES AND MENINGITIS

How have you established correlation with causation? Even though there is no statistically significant correlation, even if there were, how can you establish causation? Just because cholesterol levels are high during a heart attack, that didn't make it the CAUSE. If I buy a TV and have a heart attack, buying a TV has a correlation with a heart attack, but it is not the CAUSE.

YOU MUST BE JOKING, YOU HAVE JUST SCREWED YOURSELF, YOU ARE SAYING CHOL, AGE, FAT, GENETICS. ARE NOT THE CAUSE, THEN WHAT IS THE CAUSE.
ARE YOU ACTUALLY IMPLYING THAT EATING A HIGH CHOL. DIET WILL NOT CAUSE HEART DISEASE? BECUASE OF ONE DR'S OPINION! YO9U NEED TO DO SOME RESEARCH HUNNY;)

Prana said:
THERE ARE MANY FACTORS YOU ARE NOT CONSIDERING MAKING THIS FOOLISH QUOTE. FOR EXAMPLE IN OUR SOCIETY TODAY THE CHOL. IS MAINLY IN PROCESSED FOODS, WHICH WEREN'T IN THEIR DIETS... AND THE AMMT OF FOOD WE CONSUME TODAY IS LARGER AT ONE TIME... MEANING THE BODY CAN ONLY EXCRETE THE MAX AMMT AND THE REST IS STORED IN THE ATERIAL SYSTEM, BACK THEN THE FOOD WAS CLEAN, EASIER TO DIGEST, AND EXCRETED ACCORDINGLY - THEREFORE LOWERING BLOOD CHOL LEVELS

SECONDLY, TODAY SOCIETY IS SEDENTARY. EXCERSISE TAKES THE CHOL AWAY FROM THE ARTERIES ...

*(THIS IS ALL MY OPINION, NOT OUT OF SOME BOOK)

Well your very loud opinion is extremely wrong. The Masai would eat POUNDS of meat per day along with about a gallon or more of whole milk per day. That is FAR more than 99% of most people in the US consume.

So how does cholesterol being in processed foods make eggs bad?

Why did African tribesman's cholesterol INCREASE when they moved to the city and ate a "modern" diet?

Prana said:
AHHAAH PLEASE DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THIS STUPID COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO YOU KNOW WHAT A STROKE IS? STROKES ARE ALSO CAUSED FROM CHOL /FAT DEPOSITS IN THE ARTERIES. IN A STROKE THE COROID ARTERY TO YOUR BRAIN (AT THE SIDES OF YOUR NECK) ARE NARROWED OR OCCLUDED BY PLAGUE, AND THE BLOOD DOESN'T REACH YOUR BRAIN, IN A HEART ATTACK, THE BLOOD DOESN'T REACH YOUR HEART, OR A CLOT DOES FIRST IN BOTH INSTANCES. IT ALL STEMS FROM PLAGUE IN THE ATERIES...THEREFORE HEART DISEASE AND STROKE IN 99% OF THE CASES GO HAND IN HAND

If 99% of the time they go hand in hand, then why do Japanese have lower risks of heart disease but higher risk of stroke?

Would you please address the actual point?

Prana said:
TODAY PEOPLE LIVE LONGER DUE TO MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY: MEDICATION, SURGERY, AMPUTATIONS

AND BEFORE, DIET AND EXCERSISE. HOWEVER PEOPLE DIDN'T LIVE LONG DUE TO UNCURABLE DISEASES SUCH AS DIABETES AND MENINGITI

People didn't live long? People have been living past 80 for a long time.

Do you care to address my question? Why do old people with high cholesterol live longer?

Prana said:
YOU MUST BE JOKING, YOU HAVE JUST SCREWED YOURSELF, YOU ARE SAYING CHOL, AGE, FAT, GENETICS. ARE NOT THE CAUSE, THEN WHAT IS THE CAUSE.
ARE YOU ACTUALLY IMPLYING THAT EATING A HIGH CHOL. DIET WILL NOT CAUSE HEART DISEASE? BECUASE OF ONE DR'S OPINION! YO9U NEED TO DO SOME RESEARCH HUNNY

I'm asking YOU, which you have failed miserably to address any actual point. You have quite a loud mouth for not actually addressing anything.

Last edited:
what do you do for a living Frosty? and the fact that you twist my words into ancient history does not impress me or anyone else. I said all my statements are my opinion. you wont see me searching google to steals anothers arguments. Either way, we have different opinions and noone cares. Fact is that you cause strife all other this board trying to prove you're intelligent... and that is what pissed me off in the first place, and made me go to your level to try and prove you wrong............ but im finished now, so congrats you've won NOTHING

Frosty seems to think that if someone doesnt eat the way he does then somehow they are unhealthy yet he talks about eating things like whole milk by the galon, whole eggs by the dozen, meat by the pound, cooking in lard or butter and tries to make that sound healthy.

Bottom line is everyone is different and for every study out there, there are 10 more contridicting it.

Are science and doctors biased and unknoelwdgable about many things at times? Yes

But so are authors who write books to sell to young accolytes.

I think the best thing to do would be to look at your family's history and wherever they fucked up, do the opposite to avoid and I emphasize "avoid" (cant necessarily guatantee the sames will or will not happen, life's a bitch ya know) the same pitfalls.

And that can apply to nutrition, exercises, carreer, basically life in general.

If it's working why fuck it up and if it aint working find a way to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back