Help me with a "set" workout routine?

g8tr

Hey guys, im here to ask what your opinion is as far as choosing the right program or workout routine while in the gym.

Iv been working out on/off since high school which was in 2010. But until now, I finally put my foot down and want to make a lifestyle change and stick to it consistently because im tired of being small.

Lots of friends of mine who are pretty good size, they’ve been lifting and it seems that they go in the gym, do their own thing. They don’t have a set “program” and im sure most of you guys on here dont either. you just know what you’re doing when you go in… now. Heres my question…

Has anybody heard of the program called “FIERCE 5”? A full body novice program 3x week? Split up between Workout A and Workout B?

Iv been following that the past month or so, and well… idk. I like the concept. But then it sucks because Im use to breaking my days up by lets say, MONDAY- chest, triceps. or the next day Back and biceps.

The FIERCE 5 program its nice because its full body, but i feel like its not “enough”. Not enough of one muscle group?

Iv seen progress every week though. I continue to add 5 lbs on my bench every week and 10 pounds on squats.

When I bench for example, I never go past 5-6 rep range. I always lift until Im struggling on that last set and its never pst number 6. So its not like im putting up light weight and just going through the motions. When I first started the program, after not lifting for a while I was only benching 140 or so and shaking on the 5th-6th rep. Now Iv worked up to 165 x6 for 4 sets. As long as I try and add 5lbs every week.

Now I want to put on massive size. Im currently only 165 lbs and im bulking, shooting for 3500+ calories per day.

Should i keep going at this Fierce 5 program, or should i break my days up and go 5x week instead of 3? and do my own workouts? as long as im lifting heavy? I usually google and read on forums for chest/tricep workouts and combine them with mine and knock them out that day.

Any feedback?

thanks!

You think you should add more calories? at your current weight of 165 pounds its all about protein.
I would contact 3J here for some free diet and training advice to do this right.

You think you should add more calories? at your current weight of 165 pounds its all about protein.
I would contact 3J here for some free diet and training advice to do this right.

This is good advise. Diet is key, however if you don't train enough nothing is gonna put new / more LMM on your body.

In short I think you need to change to a routine such as 3 on and 1 off. Then repeat. By this split you can train each body part twice in one week interval. Training to failure with all you parts twice a week will promote the breakdown and regrowth at an optimum rate.

If you train hard enough ( which you need) you shouldn't have the energy to.train any body part more then twice. Hence the day off is needed.

If you continue to train only doing 4-6-8 reps you're gonna prob get injured or just even slow your growth.

It is important to break up the rep range. Low reps 4-6 is recommended to stimulate the growth of Mass but your body needs some more intensity by doing some higher rep ranges within your routine.

OMM

whats up brother... i got your email

what the guys are saying in the replies are 100% true..

if youre not eating to grow, i dont care how good your workout routine is, you wont grow.

thats like trying to build a house without wood.

so the first question is, whats your diet going to look like?

Right now here is ideal on how I eat daily:

breakfast: protein shake/sometimes cottage cheese and eggs

snack: ricearoni with pasta

lunch: baked potato, chicken breast, green beans

snack: protein shake and PB&J

diner: sometimes sirloin steak with potatoes and salad, most of the time its chicken.

snack: protein shake, protein pudding or just a shake most the time

whats up brother... i got your email

what the guys are saying in the replies are 100% true..

if youre not eating to grow, i dont care how good your workout routine is, you wont grow.

thats like trying to build a house without wood.

so the first question is, whats your diet going to look like?
or like trying to build a house without sand for cement. it just wont happen.
Its amazing how much mass one can get when eating the proper foods to bulk.

on a side note, when I bulk I always eat a dinner plate before going to sleep (10 or 11pm), something like steak and cheese with fries and chase it with a tall lemonaid with bits of fresh mintleafs.

I also prepare another plate of food (meat, starch, veggies) to wake up and eat around 3am and back to sleep (something not too greasy).
This with a proper training routine and more good foods during the day will yield you great bulking results. Thats just me now, so your way better off taking 3Js advice to gain as much as you can properly.

OP, I forgot to ask you. Do you have a workout partner who is serious? Just that can help your training.

As said get with 3j and also someone if not him to take a good look at your training routines. I'm sure 3j will benefit you greatly.
OMM

are you weighing and measuring everything?
Right now here is ideal on how I eat daily:

breakfast: protein shake/sometimes cottage cheese and eggs

snack: ricearoni with pasta

lunch: baked potato, chicken breast, green beans

snack: protein shake and PB&J

diner: sometimes sirloin steak with potatoes and salad, most of the time its chicken.

snack: protein shake, protein pudding or just a shake most the time

Within the last 3 years I did more reading than just Flex and Muscular Development and other mags. Controlling the weight up AND down. Taking inertia out and keeping the weight on the muscles and under control. "Time under tension".

Full range of motion.

Real muscle failure. A partner or machine helps a lot. If I don't have a spotter and will end up "under the weight" like a bench or squat I will do a drop set.

I've never gained like I gained with slower controlled reps, full range of motion and hitting true muscle failure.

I never did good with high volume. I either have easy sets at the beginning or never make the reps for multiple sets. I do a more Mentzer style HIT. a couple warm ups and then every exercise gets 1 set, slower reps and to true muscle failure. The last rep counted by how much of a rep I got. something like 8 + 1 spotted 1/2 rep. Or 8 + 1 spotted no lock out if I almost got it. I also try to do more on something every workout. Another rep on one lift.

My fitbit and fitness pal had me eating 2,800 calories a day to gain 1lb per week. It took me eating over 3,500.

""BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation TDEE = BMR x 1.55

TDEE + 800 for bulk

300g protein
492g carbs
88g fats

Now divide each macro by the number of meals you plan on eating a day (I recommend at least 5, though I will be using 6 in this example)

300/6= 50
492/6= 82
88/6= 14.6"""

^^^^That's a copy and paste from 3J I believe.

I also began using this formula to measure calories burned lifting

"""" ( lbs ÷ 2.2) 8= weights calories per hour """"

Doing that gave me gains in notbonly lofts but lean body mass with pretty little fat gain.

Back