help with test e homebrew

gearblood

So I've made plenty of batches before and never had pip like i do after this last batch. How it all played out is like this

Previous batch cracked while filtering 150 mls. Approximately 75 mils didn't make it through the filter so I kept it in a beaker with saran wrap and in the closet until I planned on making another batch. I always use 15% BB and 1.5% BA.

Fast forward to this last batch I made about 200mls with the correct amount of ba and bb (same as above). I then added the 75ml from before. I grabbed a 150 bottle top filter and sterilized the media bottle in the oven (rinsed before with iso) and thought everything was fine. Well the pip is bad and makes my leg/butt/delt warms and gave me fever. So I thought maybe because I ran 275mls through a 150ml bottle top filter that the filter might have clogged or couldn't keep up letting bacteria get through.

So I re-filtered with 2 150mls filters and sterilized the media bottle and the pip is still just as bad.

I don't believe its the sterilization of the media bottle because i did the same thing on 150 mls of prop and everything is fine.

The only thing I can think of is the BA in the 75 mls while it was in the beaker for months some how increased? is that even possible?

My best guess is this one

Maybe the rest of the 75ml off the very first batch that made it through the filter had very little BA in it causing the 2nd half that didnt make it through the filter have the majority of BA in it? This would make sense because i had zero pip on that batch.

Hopefully some veteran brewers can chime in and if this isn't the correct part of the forum sorry, admin can you move.

Thanks in advance

Like to hear more about your progress :)

Yeah, I thought I would get a few opinions but looks like they're aren't as many home brewers anymore. I'm gonna split the gear in half (about 150ml) add more powder with no more alcohol and bb and see if it helps with pip. I just can't see myself tossing 27 bottles down the drain.

I'm almost positive the alcohol was sitting on the top of the oil when the filter cracked which left mainly alcohol in the portion of the gear. If I was a physics major and new more about how oil and alcohol mix, Id probably know if my theory holds any weight... Unfortunately I'm not. :(

Making a whole new batch of 100 ml's with 1.2% BA and 15% BB on tuesday when I get more filters. Thank goodness I have prop ready to go to continue my cycle.

Well I didn't get to make another batch. stupid .22 millipore won't start flowing with hand vacuum pump. Now I remember why I don't buy .22 and only stick to .45 filters. And I also bought two other top only filters but they are PES. sigh*

curious if the millipore will still be "sterile" tomorrow when I hook up my vacuum pump (for car ac systems) to the filter. I need fittings to make it work now or I would just filtered it now.

There are not many possibilities here. Either there is a problem with the raw, or you mistakenly added too much ba on the second brew. Did you use a different carrier such as EO?

Pip has to do with solvents or chemicals in your raw that shouldn't be there. What concentration is the gear you brewed?

It's a crap shoot on the raws one batch might be good next bad. I've always wanted to home brew but never trusted the raw suppliers I've found. Saw so many mixed reviews decided to just buy pre made still. Good luck

There are not many possibilities here. Either there is a problem with the raw, or you mistakenly added too much ba on the second brew. Did you use a different carrier such as EO?

Pip has to do with solvents or chemicals in your raw that shouldn't be there. What concentration is the gear you brewed?

250 test e. And i have run the same test e powder with no pip so it was something done on the first brew. The second brew was to a tee 1.5% BA and 15% BB. I believe the first brew when the filter cracked and I saved the unfiltered portion contained majority of BA so when I mixed the together made the second brew contain too much BA in it.

EDIT:But i'm also concerned now that i was using PES filter and it didn't do the job correctly. see post below

Always use a 22.5nm filter. 45 isn't sterile.

yeah, i hear this all the time but I never can get the 22 to start flowing with the hand vacuum pump. I hooked up my electrical vacuum pump last night an everything was going good until about halfway through the plastic flask broke so I stopped, combined the filtered with the unfiltered (cause i'm not doing that again) and will wait for more filters to come in.

It's a crap shoot on the raws one batch might be good next bad. I've always wanted to home brew but never trusted the raw suppliers I've found. Saw so many mixed reviews decided to just buy pre made still. Good luck

I could see that if i got a different batch from my supplier but I didn't. still have way over too much powder from original batch

Last edited:
just curious would filtering with a PES filter cause the pip. I'm looking over my previous orders of filters and I may have ordered PES previously and used them not thinking about it.

Edit: What is better Nylon or PVDF as far as bottle top filters? Theres not much info regarding whats best when it comes to what we use these filters for

Last edited:
any updates?

Yeah and not very good one. So I got more filters because the one broke using the electric vacuum pump and I had ordered PES filters. So I had to wait until finally more filters came in. I had a 250ml filter, So I did a WHOLE new batch using my tried and true 150mls of 1.2 % BA and 18% percent BB using grape seed oil. I then filtered 100ml of the previous 250ml that had horrible pip because I was uncertain that the previous batch could have been filtered by a PES (which reading about the filter can break down bc of the BB which would allow bacteria to get through the filter)

I did a pin of 250e (2mls so 500mg) and added my normal dose of 300 eq last night and man I had the worst pin experience so I don't know if it the gear or the pin. I tried hitting the butt (which i hate) it hurt when i inserted the needle and when I started to press the plunger down my muscle jumped causing me to pull the needle out from pain. I then went to my right quad where I've done tons of times and the insert went fine, but as soon as pushing .25ml in I got some pretty deep pain like I was hiding the bone. So I pulled the needle out and went back to my butt (same cheek since my left butt still hurts from a prop shot on Sunday). I then pinned with a slight pinch on insert and after manning up i continued to push the pin down until my ole lady walks in (she knows not to) so i paused probably flinched up.

With in min of the pin It felt so weird to sit down, like someone dead legged that exact spot almost like I was sitting on something in that area like a gorge castanza wallet (if you get my reference :) ). last night I had to wake up and take ibuprofen to finish sleeping through the nights. and definitely had some fever throughout the night. My legs felt like growing pains and my calves felt super tight so I might have hit the sciatic nerve. My girls a nurse and she says I shouldn't be pinning my butt and doctors have stopped giving shots there for some time now.

You can eliminate the raw as the problem if you have used the same batch.

Yeah I was thinking that too. The raw is only maybe 1.5yrs old

Leads to my next question. Can my raw go bad. or Could my grape seed oil or BA or BB go bad? I know they have exp dates on them an the are coming up end or late 2016. I'm so confused. I have probably another 200 grams of raw left so this really sucks. The powder has become very sticky like its melted house temps very from 70-80 wheere it was being stored.

I just bought a brand new bottle of BB, still have about 100 ml of 1000ml grape seed oil but I still have older BA

i'm super scared to pin the extra 100 from the "bad batch"

Last edited:
I think it's the raws. One time I had to get some raws from another supplier and when I brewed it, it didn't just melt in beautifully and blend in with the oil it was sort of foamy and took a bit of cooking. This shit when injected was painful as fuck and like you describe, swelling and fever like symptoms.

I chalked it up to being an issue with the raws. Some say it's the carbolic acid left over attached to the hormone which is actually supposed to be washed off or dissolved during the manufacturing process. I'm not sure how accurate it is but if you ever brew and your gear is foamy before fully melted just be aware it could be a shithouse batch.

I think it's the raws. One time I had to get some raws from another supplier and when I brewed it, it didn't just melt in beautifully and blend in with the oil it was sort of foamy and took a bit of cooking. This shit when injected was painful as fuck and like you describe, swelling and fever like symptoms.

I chalked it up to being an issue with the raws. Some say it's the carbolic acid left over attached to the hormone which is actually supposed to be washed off or dissolved during the manufacturing process. I'm not sure how accurate it is but if you ever brew and your gear is foamy before fully melted just be aware it could be a shithouse batch.

Yeah, i'm super pissed if it is especially since i usually by in bulk from my supplier and stock up for a couple years. hence the reason why i grabbed 250 grams of TE.

I'm gonna buy more oil and more BA so that i can count that out and only a make a bottle of 10mls with a syringe filter and go from there. The date on the grapes seed oil says 9/16 but to make it easier to pull from I stabbed the top with a 18g syringe so that each time I could flip the bottle upside down. I didn't think anything could happen because its not filtered yet and i had to filter anyway.

Last edited:
i just looked when I bought my raw and it was last September. I emailed my source and he kinda hinted that it could have gone bad since I didn't have it in the fridge. I told him its been in a cool dark place which ranges from 65-75 degrees year round. He didn't say for sure that they have gone bad but i highly doubt it.

One year i was paranoid and i hid them in a safe in a basement that got pretty hot and i made tons of batches of those raws so i'm thinking my source has no clue.

yeh i dont think the raws woulda gone bad. when you brewd it was it like foamy n shit before it melted? im thinking your source had a bad batch from china. id be buying from a different source.

yeh i dont think the raws woulda gone bad. when you brewd it was it like foamy n shit before it melted? im thinking your source had a bad batch from china. id be buying from a different source.

Cant remember if it foamed or not. I usually stir it. go sit down... stir it go sit down. etc etc. I never sit and watch the whole brew. but i'm guessing there has to be something else I'm missing. time to buy some syringe filter and start making tiny batches to figure things out. new BA and oil is about to be ordered. i"m just wondering if grape seed is still the best choice. I have eo that i haven't even used because afraid of pain. lmao

grape seed oil is my go to, nothing wrong with it. I've never tried EO but if your gonna use it just filter a couple ml of it and do a single shot of 0.5 or 1ml EO and see how you react.

i hope you get it sorted but im thinking its bad raws. i hope not but i cant see it being bad BA or GSO...

grape seed oil is my go to, nothing wrong with it. I've never tried EO but if your gonna use it just filter a couple ml of it and do a single shot of 0.5 or 1ml EO and see how you react.

i hope you get it sorted but im thinking its bad raws. i hope not but i cant see it being bad BA or GSO...

Has anyone ever experienced bad raw after a year. I always thought its bad from the beginning. Now that everyone takes bitcoin it might be a lot easier only buying smaller quantities

Anyone know of a place you could send your gear anonymously and they willl test every thing in it?

Last edited:
So i'v had my BA for almost 4 years I'm guessing and haven't made a batch in a year of two. I see shelf life is 1 year after opening and three years if sealed. I'm hoping this is my problem.

Back