Hey all, need some diet help

YoungFella

Hey guys, going to try to condense a lot of information here so you guys get the proper understanding of my situation.

I am 21, turning 22 in 2 weeks. About 4 years ago I was obese, 275 pounds. I lost the weight the unhealthy way (starvation basically) and got down to 180ish. Naturally, I kept some of my love handles and a patch of fat on my lower stomach. Until about 15 months ago, I stayed around 180-190 without ever going to the gym.

15 months ago I started working out hard, and haven't skipped a week since. I run everyday, lift 4-5 days a week, etc. I got into great shape this past summer with the help of 10 weeks of Hydroxy Hardcore, however still always had the stomach flab (though I did reduce it) and small love handles which I always said I would handle later.

Around October 2008, I started binge drinking and eating bad in celebration of my LSAT score. I still lifted everyday, but did no cardio. Love handles are back in full effect, as is the stomach flab.

I am looking for a good diet/caloric intake advice to get rid of the flab and love handles for good, not the half/half job I did this summer. Again, I am not trying to lose weight at all, but rather looking to cut body fat and achieve a harder look.

I spent from March-July dieting HARD, and I mean like 1-1.5g protein per lb, small amount of fats, and little to no carbs at all (sometimes 0 per day) and taking the Hydroxy Hardcore. I got down from 192 (which is high for me) in February to 178 by July...however, I did lose some strength, and I still had the flab and love handles. Part of me feels I will not be able to lose these problem areas at all...any feedback? Also, do you think going back on the Hydroxy Hardcore or something similar is a good idea?

In closing, as a first timer, I want to thank you all in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Last edited:
First thing....if you lost 100lbs it might be hard to completely eliminate it. Your going to have a little extra skin theres not much you can do about that unless you get it removed.

That being said you going to have to figure out how many calories you are taking in a day, you have to burn more than you take in if you want to lose the fat. Keep the protein high so you can help hold onto muscle. You CANNOT eliminate carbs all together.

Not only do carbs help with the absorbtion of protein but an all protein diet can kill you if on it too long. If you take in too much protein your body begins to store it as energy just as it does with fats and carbs.

I would experiment for a little while. Find out what you burn, what you take in, and go from there.

Good luck.

I am of the same line of thought as you with possibly never being able to rid myself of all of it. However, when I pinch the area, it doesnt snap back, but ripples back - leaving me optimistic that it is indeed fat and not skin.

Right now I weigh about 194, and I would estimate that I take in about 1800-2200 calories a day (I will try to get a better, more accurate number today). So I would need to burn 2200 calories a day?

After a 20 minute cardio session, I am usually around 200-300 calories burned. I figure I can eventually get up to 40 minutes a day, but that would still only put me around 600...how can I hit 2000+?

Ok first, how tall are you?

2nd do you train your abs/core?

How much water do you drink?

And to answer the question about burning the calories. Depending on a few different things your body burns the majority of your calories just doing every day functions such as respiration, digestion, movement, etc. If your taking in 2000 calories a day your body is probably burning 1200 a day at rest due to all the functions. Theres a formula to find it, ill try to find it for you and then Ill post how to calculate it.

But if you have a good clean diet with cardio in your routine, burn about 800 calories a day do to cardio lifting etc, you should be able to start eliminating it. But dont expect it to be fast results, give it time.

Also do you take any vitamins, supplements, gear, anything?

firstly i real apreciate to see you following the advices of memebers while posting here.

So, back on topic: I would prefer to switch from Kcal count to %

60% carb 25% protein 15% fat is an ealthy meal... you could imagine which item in this diet. vetetable, cereals, low-fat cheese, low-fat flesh, chiken, turkey, fish, et...

so since 15 month you're working out seriously and hard.

this is an example of a day of mine : http://www.steroidology.com/forum/diet-forum/137334-one-day-kane.html

And this is an example of sharts of food, it's useful to sportiv, while each food is detailed :http://www.steroidology.com/forum/diet-forum/138025-composition-foods-could-help-diet.html

So you can see the % of each food, and then plan all recipe or diet you want. in any season it is.

I am 5 foot 11. I don't do any abs or core, just the basic 4 days of training I had posted in the Training board. Thanks alot for all your help.

Kane - I will check these links out. Thank you.

BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Thats the formula (Basal Metabolic Rate) for how many calories your body needs a day to operate. I agree with Kane about the percentage makeups of what you eat, but I also think knowing what your taking and burning will help you get where you want to be.

Yours works out to 2026 calories. Thats how many calories your body "should" burn at rest. If you burn 300 or so like you say, then your diet must be off and your underestimating how many your taking it. Not being a dick just letting you know.

Good luck, let me know if I can help you any more.

Last edited:
Barnzy - you've been a great, great help. I have a few more questions for you, I hope they aren't too much of a burden:

1) I am a college student, so my daily schedule changes by day based on what times I have class. This make it very hard to have a structured eating routine like Kane. Some days I am up at 8 am, some days I compensate for studying or whatever and don't wake up til about noon. What do you think is the best eating plan for someone in my situation?

2) Following the breakdown Kane had suggested, would you recommend me following a eating plan that looks something like this daily: 2200 calories. 200 g protein, 470 g carbs, 100 g fat? I know I am probably misinterpreting what hes saying as I can't imagine taking in that much fat per day.

3) In the past when I was on the hydroxycut, I limited my diet to basically only grilled chicken, tuna, brown rice, broiled tilapia, chicken patties, turkey patties, beans, salads, spinach, wheat wraps, turkey (cold cut), baked potatoes, sometimes peanut butter, and an occassional steak. Do you think reverting back to this type of a diet is good to really lose the body fat, or do you feel I should be heading in another direction? Also, would you recommend going back to a supplement like Hydroxycut, or going forward without it?

I'm a college student too so I hear what your saying, shit sucks.

I have another question, are you trying to gain muscle or lose fat? or attempting to do both. If you want to do both you want to gain muscle first. Few reasons, 1 it is winter, so who cares? Whos gonna see you with your shirt off? If you get a girl in bed chances are shes not gonna decide not to have sex with you after the shirt comes off lol. Thats the first thing. Second is, muscle burns more calories than fat, you need to constantly be supplying muscles with nutrients. Muscles tire and get winded much easier than anything else. Causing the body again to burn more calories by supplying it oxygen etc. So as far as that goes, if you really want to pack on some muscle do that first and worry about cutting down after, during spring or something like that.

Going by Kanes chart, and following the calories I gave you, you going to need 1200 calories from carbs, 500 from proteins, and 300 from fat.

Like you said before if your burning 300 that means you have around 2300 you can take in to stay at your weight now. If you want to lose weight your either going to have to up the cardio or decrease the calorie intake. If you decrease, I would add more protein and less fat, that way you dont end up eating your muscle.

As far as an eating plan goes thats really tough. Ill give you what mine looks like though and maybe that will help seeing that I wake up at different times too and some nights I need to stay up studying, gym times are diff. etc.

Wake up- Protein shake
Snack- yogurt, oats, fruit
Lunch- salad, chicken salad wrap, humus or potato
PWO- small protein shake, fruit
Gym
PWO- protein shake, yogurt, oats
Supper- Chicken/Fish/Meat, rice, maybe salad, potato or yam
Snack- If I'm hungry

My meals happen at different times and they change every night because I cant control whats cooked, but it looks something like that. You just need to make sure you eat through out the day, small meals, keep your metabolism fast and burning energy. Drink lots of water. DO NOT take in any carbs after 6 or after supper. You dont need to the extra energy if your trying to lose weight.

I would stay away from the chicken patties and stuff like those. They are filled with shit.

I have never used hydroxycut or anything like that. No juice or fat burners so I really cant answer that question.

But I would suggest somethings that I take, fish and flax seed oil. Both contain different Omega-fatty acids. Very good for the heart, circulation, and aiding in the burning of fat. Multi-vitamin is a must. I take milk thistle just for general health of my liver, thats just my opinion. I also take glucosamine for my joints. If yours hurt or are sore I would recommend that 100%.

Im sure I missed something in that book I wrote you. If so just ask away. I have no problem answering questions.

Following the breakdown Kane had suggested, would you recommend me following a eating plan that looks something like this daily: 2200 calories. 200 g protein, 470 g carbs, 100 g fat? I know I am probably misinterpreting what hes saying as I can't imagine taking in that much fat per day.

200g protein = 800 kcal
470g carbs =1880 kcal
100gfat = 900 kcal

so your kcal counting is way off.

You can easily miss that you consume fat for example some meats are very high in fat.

carb and protein is 4 kcal/gram
fat is 9kcal/gram

keep up the good job and you will reach your goals.

If your taking in 2000 calories a day your body is probably burning 1200 a day at rest due to all the functions. QUOTE]

Thats wrong. If he's been maintaining his weight he's taking in 2000 and burning 2000. homesesis/metabolism. If he was only burning 1200 he would have a surplus of 5600 cal a week and would be gaining ~1.5 lbs a week doing nothing.

If your taking in 2000 calories a day your body is probably burning 1200 a day at rest due to all the functions. QUOTE]

Thats wrong. If he's been maintaining his weight he's taking in 2000 and burning 2000. homesesis/metabolism. If he was only burning 1200 he would have a surplus of 5600 cal a week and would be gaining ~1.5 lbs a week doing nothing.

I know that, I posted that before I did out his BMR. I was just guessing and making a point.

Back