How do you figure out your % of body fat?

T

The Ejackulator

I see a lot of people post their % of bodyfat here, but how do you find it out?

I hope they dont use this electronic weights with bodyfat measurement sensor pads. This is totally bs.

With a caliper.
But it aint at all accurate, If i where to use one it would be to see how much i loose or gain.

I use calipers, those are the most accurate in most any situation. Hydrostatic weighing is also accurate above 6%.

Bioelectrical impedance has never worked for me or anyone I know. I'm not 30% bodyfat I can tell you that for sure. They say you need to be hydrated and empty of bladder, I drink my water for damn sure and I still have never seen below 27% even with wet fucking feet.

Mudge said:
Bioelectrical impedance has never worked for me or anyone I know. I'm not 30% bodyfat I can tell you that for sure. They say you need to be hydrated and empty of bladder, I drink my water for damn sure and I still have never seen below 27% even with wet fucking feet.

LMAO, my bathroom scales always say that I am around the 30 mark. lowest i have ever read on them was about 23%

Ejakulator, post your pic and let everyone argue over your bf%, apparently there are some experts floating around here :insane2:

Are you male or female?

There's many ways. Calipers, hydrostatic (most accurate in my opinion) electric

With caliper.

MALES SIGHTS:

Thighs-- about 1 inch above knee cap
superisillics -- fat diagnally, in between chest and armpit
Triceps -- one inch down from the armpit

ALL ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BODY!

Take 3 measurments at each site. Take the most common (or median) measurement in mm's

add up all 3 sites (the measurments you got)

refer to chart.

i feel good then because my scales say that i am at 18-20% BF never measured with anything else would like to. don't try to use the sensor pad bathroom scales to see if you lost or not because i can never get a consistent measurement either its up of its down. They completly suck for measuring % BF

hey [built in the oil field], just started a new job,.. I work for "Weatherford".. we supply/clean/reface the pipe you guys use on your rigs. Just thought I'd say hello.

Don't use the electrical impedance ones. Tried several, never eached anywhere near my bf%, although they do measure BMI pretty accuratly

Mudge said:
They say you need to be hydrated and empty of bladder, I drink my water for damn sure and I still have never seen below 27% even with wet fucking feet.
They say that because it measures the quickness the electric signals bypass your body....the less you drink the fatter it will say you are.

They say that because it measures the quickness the electric signals bypass your body....the less you drink the fatter it will say you are.
------------

The electric signal always has the same speed through your body. Once one told me that the better systems have more power, so the current can go through more of your body.
This is bullshit as well.

On all this electrical things you first have to enter your heigh, male or female, age. Then it measures your weight and simply by using a database it tells you some bullshit. It assumes a meridian value for your age and heigh on the weight of your bones and muscles and what you have more on pounds is assumed to be fat.

The BMI is the same BS. According BMI every bodybuilder should consult a doctor and a food expert immediate in order to get the right diet.

Thanks for the replies, but I don't understand much lol.

What's a Caliper? Is it like a pregnancy test instrument or something?

Also, next time I go to the doctor, can he figure out how much bodyfat I have?

bigjay00 said:

Right, because a fluid, with minerals, will conduct electricity.

Calipers for those who dont know, are instruments that measure the distance between two places (or like a brake caliper, simply contract and relax the distance). The caliper method are based on statistics collected from a German cadaver, sometime I believe in the late 1800s.

bigjay00 said:
MALES SIGHTS:

Thighs-- about 1 inch above knee cap
superisillics -- fat diagnally, in between chest and armpit
Triceps -- one inch down from the armpit

I'm not saying you are innacurate, but I have never seen a 3 point test for males with triceps in there.

Mudge said:
I'm not saying you are innacurate, but I have never seen a 3 point test for males with triceps in there.

ummm, yeah. Jay, I don't know what they're teaching you yankee-doodles up there, but I hate to tell ya, you're wrong. Those are the sites for a female 3-point test.

Male 3-point test =

Chest (axillary region)
Abdomen (lower lateral half of the bottom 'ab')
Quad/thigh (midthigh)

All right side.

And on the topic of electronic %BF measuring scales, I dunno what kind you folks are getting, but they're apparently shit. Fall 2003, calipers showed me to be at between 11.5 and 12%; scales ranged from 10-13.5% depending on hydration levels. Now, Calipers = 15.6%, scales read anywhere from 14.3-16.9%.

I generally take my bf% 3 days in a row, same time of day, relatively same hydration levels, etc. and average the three. This has never failed to come within 1/2 of a percentage point of properly executed caliper readings. IMO, the scales are better for tracking changes than figuring exact percentages, but they are still in the same ballpark as calipers.

I picked up a caliper(at the afstore i think) and it showed 11-12% all 3 x I measured. Last time I had it done I was in college and they said I was 9%, but then I bulked 4 a while so assume the increase in bf was accurate, or close at least. Dunno where u're getting 30%...damn thats alot of bf!!

Calipers can be accurate with the right person doing it. There is always built in error, but if you have th same person do it each time it should mitigate the error rate and at least tell you the trend. Bioimpedance measures are generally inaccurate for the average person because gyms don't spend the money to get the accruate, high end ones that we use in exercise physiology labs. There are a lot of factors that cause them to be inaccurate, but the more expensive ones are not. Underwater weighing can be very accurate as well, but you have to get an experienced tester and a good subject, as residual lung volume makes a big difference in your buoyancy. The most accurate measure is dissection after your death, with burning in a direct calorimeter, but I am not sure if this is an option for any of you? lol

SpikeyLizard said:
And on the topic of electronic %BF measuring scales, I dunno what kind you folks are getting, but they're apparently shit. Fall 2003, calipers showed me to be at between 11.5 and 12%; scales ranged from 10-13.5% depending on hydration levels. Now, Calipers = 15.6%, scales read anywhere from 14.3-16.9%.

Mine is sadly, an official Tanita bodyfat scale. At least the weight seems accurate. :rolleyes: If it goes up or down I may take slight notice but basically it doesn't change much.

Mudge said:
Mine is sadly, an official Tanita bodyfat scale. At least the weight seems accurate. :rolleyes: If it goes up or down I may take slight notice but basically it doesn't change much.

Yeah, I've got Tanita's too. Weird.

Also, if the balls and heels of your feet are really, really calloused, that can make a BIG difference, as that skin impedes electrical impulses hardcore.

Thank you for this information! I got mine done at the gym with the electronic one and it put me at 20.5%! I almost slapped the fucker doing the test! I'm going to go buy calipers today!

Back