how long did you train before your first match

teej

I just started training about 2 months ago and can't wait till I can fight. Just wondering how long most people have to train before their first mma match.

You just started training MMA (newby?) or just started your pre-fight training for your first fight?

just started training mma, yeah im new. one of my instructer said after 6 months you can start looking towards competing but obviously it depends on the person. I'm pretty athletic and have taken some martial arts before but just wondering what other peoples experiences are.

captain awsome great advice, and i may use that as one training method but im also looking to compete

In the club I was with, I've seen fighters go in with a lot of training and not do so well and also seen some with some natural talent and little MMA training do well. In the long run however the training always seems to be what is needed as the competition gets that much harder.

From my experience, not MMA related but competing, I went into a tournament as a newby with little to no training and it hurt me so bad it played upon my mind and made me not want to compete again. If I would have had more training I think I would have been physically but more mentally prepared.

If you are new at it you will obviously have to make that choice for yourself. Good luck to you.

I have heard of people competing after a few months training. With amateur fights you aren't necessarily jumping into the deep end. Most of those guys have no idea what they're doing.

yeah i've heard amature, you usually will get put up against someone with similar experience/skill level, so it doesnt matter too much how long you wait. thanx guys

no wrestling background, no bjj

6 months contact karate
1 month now mma

At my gym (and in general around the country) they usually tell you this..
If you have a good wrestling background (high level highschool or collegiate), have trained for some time in BJJ, or have competed in a traditional martial art or Mui Thai, give yourself at least 6 months of MMA training before competing (amatuer). After a few fights and/or 6 months at the amature level, prepare to then go pro.
If you have little to no previous experience in anything, give youself AT LEAST 1 YEAR of MMA training before competing (amatuer or pro)..
Yes, most amatuer promotions will match you up according to either your record or your skill level but its not a good idea to step in that cage without some good training and conditioning. The sport is no joke.
The only guys at my gym that have jumped straight into the pro circuit with mimimal "mma" training were either all-american/nationally ranked high-caliber college wrestlers or traditional martial art black belts that competed for years in their art.

Last edited:
no wrestling background, no bjj

6 months contact karate
1 month now mma

I would seriously consider waiting and training longer. While Karate "touches" on some ground stuff in my opinion it is so small it is not enough to even mention it. However some schools train more so then some but I am only generalizing.

A ground game is extremely crucial even if you are a stand-up guy. By having a good ground game you don't have to go to the ground because you can defend it better but should you go down you will be prepared.

Karate alone for for 6 months and only a month of MMA; way too green in my opinion to consider stepping into a MMA match; sorry. However perhaps you have the mentality. With 6+ years of TKD, 4+ years of BJJ, previous Junior/High School Wrestling and with additional training in Judo, Muay Thai and minor MMA stuff in the past year I don't have the mentality. I train along others who do compete as they got the bug and perhaps you do as well. I would say keep training, you can only get better and more confident.

Last edited:
Jayc, dlc

thats about what i expected to hear. I don't plain on jumping into a fight anytime soon, atleast another 6 months and until my instructors think im ready. I definitly do have the mentality though, been itching to get into this for a while

jayc hows your training going? didn't you start mma fairly recently?

Good luck to you teej; all the best in your training and when it comes time to fight; kick ass.

Jayc, dlc

thats about what i expected to hear. I don't plain on jumping into a fight anytime soon, atleast another 6 months and until my instructors think im ready. I definitly do have the mentality though, been itching to get into this for a while

jayc hows your training going? didn't you start mma fairly recently?

Excellent.. ya, sort of.. I wrestled for many years. then played around with BJJ, etc.. Got really serious about MMA a few years ago and then found a top notch gym and starting going daily just over a year ago. I've already got 6 fights in and my latest venture is dropping to 155 for my pro debut.

What is your amateur record?
- Assuming you have won a fight (LOL) how did you win?

LOL.. 4-2-0 Won 3 by arm bar and 1 by rear naked. 1 loss was my second fight ever and it was against a guy who had nearly 20 fights already. He was all stand up and had no ground game. He timed a head kick just right and rocked me enough to get tko. The other was a guy I was beating entire fight, out wrestled him, out striked him, but got caught with a tired/lazy takedown in the third and guillotined. I fight again next week so I'll be up to 5-2 ;)

Armbar from guard?
mount?
flying armbar, LOL ?

As basic as the armbar from guard is, I have a bitch of a time hitting it.

Armbar from guard?
mount?
flying armbar, LOL ?

As basic as the armbar from guard is, I have a bitch of a time hitting it.

Actually thats probably one of the toughest to hit.. Its all in your swinging your hips at the right time and tucking your knees back. my last win was the most impressive, it showed my BJJ is finally clicking, it was an Armbar from from butterfly guard. I pull butterfly guard, threw the sweep and it failed so I faked the sweep next and threw my hips for the arm bar.
The other two arm bars were from mount. Both I was gnp'ing, started throwing the elbows and they gave it right up.
I'm probably 2-3 years away from hitting a flying armbar..LOL ;)

Back