How To Prevent Acne On TRT?

Stay away from accutane its being recalled for some serious sides some even fatal.

I took accutane in my late teens. That was about 14yrs ago. I must say if you have very, very oily skin it is definitely worth it. Acne is caused by sebum oil and a bacteria called p. acnes. Nothing else causes acne. If you remove one of the two (sebum oil or P.Acnes) then you remove the acne. If your body produces too much oil you can never get rid of p acnes bacteria, it will be too overwhelming. If you are constantly washing oil off your face then accutane might be a good idea. If you are prone to oily skin high test levels will surely cause it. After I took accutane I never had a single pimple again until I started juicin. If I take over 200mg test a week my skin gets oily and I break out. But when I lower the test it goes back to normal.

You will definitely want to try other options before accutane because it is harsh. My lips got so dry and irritated it looked like I was wearing bright red lipstick for two months. In the end it was worth it but I don't want to go through that again. For now, when I get oily skin I choose to kill the acne causing bacteria instead of accutane. You can do this by washing your skin twice a day with benzoyl peroxide. If your skin gets dry and irritated just dillute the solution and apply lotion. Don't stop washing. Atleast not for too long. You have to kill the bacteria before it settles in your pores and grows. For me I get best results by dilluting it a lot. Also, I have a prescription for it. You can buy it over the counter but you will only get a tiny little tube for about $10. With my prescription I get 3 huge bottles for $12. All I had to do was tell my regular doc (not a dermatologist) that I wanted it. Hope I was helpful.

I'll give you all a little hint when it comes to cleansing your skin... Wash your face with whatever soap you normally use to get your skin to the point that you THINK it's clean. THEN scrub it with cotton balls and 91% rubbing alcohol. You'll be amazed at the DIRT you life even after washing with soap. After that, clean it again with "CLEAN & CLEAR" deep cleansing astringent. This will remove yet MORE dirt and grime, and leave you free of oil and blackheads. Give it a shot. Give some feedback.

Stay away from accutane its being recalled for some serious sides some even fatal.

The compund in Accutane,
Isotretinoin, is still on the market for prescribed medication, although you're still required to get monthly bloodwork to ensure you're not doing damage to yourself.

Literally the best medication I've ever taken, although it dried out my face like no other. By week 2, I was carrying around a chalpstick and using constantly (like every 5 minutes) to prevent my lips from bleeding.

Retin A topical did little to nothing for me. Tazorac topical was like a miracle cream. For the last 3-4 years though, I've needed no medication to control my acne, Rx or OTC. Simply cleaning my face 2x a day and being more cognizant of what's touching my face (IE: my hands) is enough to keep my face spotless.

I feel like if you have to ask if you "need" Accutane, then you don't need it.

In my 2nd month on HRT, I started to have some issue with cystic acne on the outside of my lats. No where else though.

I hadn't had a zit since I was prescribe Accutane 20 years ago. I went from full on pizza face and nasty back to beautiful skin in a short few months back when I was 20.

I have a regular dermatologist who handles my botox and juvaderm (yeah, I am a vain MF). She knows my urologist and confirmed with him about what I am using (200 mg cyp a week, HCG 2X week, Adex .5 2X week). After that she drew blood and checked my T, DHT, and Estrogen. Test was in a nice high range of normal, Estrogen was on the very low end of the range of normal and my DHT was on the high end of the range for normal.

She switched me from Propecia (which I've used daily for the past 16 years) to Avodart .5 mg M/W/F. It took about 6 weeks but my acne cleared up and I haven't had a zit in about 3 months. My DHT is now on the lower end of the normal range where it belongs.

I think one of the OP stated that androgen induced acne is the result of elevated oil production. That is true. The oil glands have androgen specific receptors for DHT and if DHT elevates, the oil production will get cranked up and you'll have issues with bacteria in the oil creating cystic acne.

Avodart is a 5-AR inhibitor like Propecia but it inhibits both type 1 and type 2 isomers of DHT so it not only helps stave off hair loss and prostate issues but also limits stimulation of the oil glands in the skin.

Regards.

Last edited:
Good info Cashout. I didn't realize it was dht that could overproductive oil glands. It makes sense though. Obviously some it affects some people more than others . Just like elevated dht doesn't affect everyones hairline. The only problem I have with dht blockers is possibility of gyno. A couple years ago I thought my hairline was receeding so I got the doc to prescribe me finasteride. A couple weeks later my nips got super sensitive and hurt just from my shirt touching them. That's the only time I ever got gyno. Needless to say I'm hesitant about taking that stuff again.

Good info Cashout. I didn't realize it was dht that could overproductive oil glands. It makes sense though. Obviously some it affects some people more than others . Just like elevated dht doesn't affect everyones hairline. The only problem I have with dht blockers is possibility of gyno. A couple years ago I thought my hairline was receeding so I got the doc to prescribe me finasteride. A couple weeks later my nips got super sensitive and hurt just from my shirt touching them. That's the only time I ever got gyno. Needless to say I'm hesitant about taking that stuff again.

If you are running Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) with an Aromatase inhibitor (AI) you would have no worries in that regard.

5-AR inhibitors will elevate your total and free T. Of course, so will an Aromatase inhibitor (AI). I can peg my total and free levels as high as 1900 ng/dl and 400 pg/ml respectively with the addition of a 5-AR and Aromatase inhibitor (AI) to my meager 200 mgs of test cyp a week. Neither my DHT nor E2 get out of the low range of normal

Regards.

Give Acnetame a shot. Always use an Aromatase inhibitor (AI) and stack it with a topical for the best results.

Acnetame is working for me it has made my back much better.
So much so that I am starting my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) again.. :)

Wow, Acnetame, huh?

I definitely have to try this next time.

For now I'm off TRT. Thinking about getting back on. Just doesn't feel the same being off. Low energy, weak, tired, all the same symptoms.

Gonna get bloodwork done later this month and officially see where I'm at after being off T for awhile. Not quite a year yet.

I've been taking liquid aromasin and that seems to make me feel a lot better for now...

Acnetame is the best over the counter I have tried. After that not working well enough I finally went to the dermatoligist.
Tried
clendamicyn (spelling) benzoyl peroxide mix which is a little better.

ended up on accutane.
I would suggest the acnetame on hand before you restart your protocal, but I also would not wait or hesitate to go to a dermatoligist. Just tell her about your trt.

Then with each accutane blood test, have her/him add all the testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) blood work. It is great to get a month by month check up or at least a bi-monthly for 4-6 months.

accutane is the most miserable shit to take ever, period.

I don't take any steroids or test, but I think my acne problem is related to elevated test levels.

I had finally been without acne for a while. I was eating a lot of protein, just a little bit of dairy, and doing cardio (and sweating a lot) 4-5 times per week.....still no acne.

Then I started lifting weights...same gym, same time, same nutrition (less cardio though), and I started breaking out like crazy. The harder I workout, the more gains I see in muscle mass and the more acne I see on my face and arms. It's not terrible, but it's there and it wasn't before I started working out.

I don't take any supplements whatsoever, not even a multi-vitamin and I'm pretty healthy otherwise.

So I'm thinking my workouts cause my test levels to shoot up which then causes acne. How do you guys suggest this be controlled? I read in a previous post about Avodart (vs Propecia) as a way to block DHT (which I've heard is the type of test that's responsible for acne). I wash my face just as I always have, with benzoyl peroxide/salycilic acid washes. I don't use a moisturizer because my skin gets oily on its own and plus I've been afraid that I would react badly (acne) to certain types of creams so I've been off them for a while (6mos+), but will get back on a moisturizer soon.

Thank you!

This thread is 2 years old.. But, to answer your question.. I would not use avodart to control acne! You'll be flirting w/ long term limp dick! Go to a dermatologist

Derm appt - get some topical antibacterial and some antibiotics if needed

Retin-a can also be used if you have cystic acne or marks from old pimples

2x/day wash and nightly astringent keeps oilyness at bay..

Started my testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in Feb 2012 with zero history of Acne issues other than the occasion pimple. After 8-10 weeks on testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) started breaking out on my chest, and worse on my back. Went to Derm Dr and he prescribed 100mg Minocycline twice a day. Initially helped as the acne gradually decreased but never went fully away, and of recent it has become worse and my back is really starting to look awful. T level in last test was close to 1300, and my E2 level is only 22. I am seeing an increase in the oily skin. Next appt isn't until 09/10/12. Anything else I can do to help dry things up w/o damaging my internals ? Im already showering 2ED, using acne scrub, and rubbing alcohol

Long time lurker here. I have very little acne problem on the face and actualy on TRT probably got better. Right now Im on 100mg of CYP every 6 days nothing else. I see the Uro in a month about HCG but endo is highly against an Aromatase inhibitor (AI). My test results were 52 with a 18-44 range or something like that, so it was high, but not high enough to get doctor worried. Anyways I have acne problems on my arms and always have even before TRT. From a 1-10 10 being worst Id probably put it at a 6 average with peaks being an 8. Now it doesnt look like Ill get an Aromatase inhibitor (AI), and the second problem is I dont know what my numbers for E were before TRT.

Either way looking at Acnetame I may try this but would this potentially help lower e levels? I was thinking about combining Acnetame with a Zinc supplment. Any thoughts? Ive read where this combo may at least increase T

Also was thinking of adding a b12 supplement. I am leary of supplemts because have done some in the past with no change, also there is only so much your body will use till it just flushes it out, also adding to much vitamins can be a problem.

I've heard that the B12 taken by itself is not as effective as when you take it together with all other vitamins, as in a multivitamin.

I've been to several derms before and they go through the same routine: 4 different antibiotics (1 at a time, doesn't work for 2-3mos, then change), 2-3 different retin-A's (same, try for a few mos each), different washes, scrubs, ointments. None of that has worked before because mostly it tries to lower inflammation and clear up bacteria. But oil is my problem and if you produce enough of it then it's going to clog up a pore every now and then, you can't always be bacteria-free. So we eventually did Accutane, which worked....wonderfully.

But then I've had acne flares off and on starting about 2yrs after accutane. I've narrowed it down to some food products and, now, possibly weight training. In fact, I haven't lifted any weights in over a week and guess what? not a single new pimple in a whole week.

That's why I think it's testosterone and hormone related and I'm trying to figure out how I can get tested for that in the first place and then, if they truly are whacked, how to get it fixed.

It looks like there are tons of hormone blood tests one can do, I'm considering all the tests below to figure out what, if anything, is out of range or not normal:
Free Testosterone
DHEA (unconjugated)
Androstenedione
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
Cortisol
17-Hydroxycorticosteroid Progesterone (17-OHPS)
17- Alpha Hydroxycorticosteroid Progesterone (17A-OHPS)
11-Deoxycortisol (11-DOC)
Adrenocorticotrophic Hormone (ACTH)
Prolactin
Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
Luteinizing Hormone (LH)
Estrodial
Thyroid Stimulating Hormone
T4 Free
T3 Free
Thyroxine Total
Inhibin
DHEA Sulfate

Sounds like overkill for sure. But might as well get it all done to make sure there are no abnormalities and if there are any, I plan to try an tackle them naturally. Perhaps there are certain foods that cause one of these to go up or down and I could just eat more of that, etc. Now to figure out how to convince my doctor to get all this covered under my insurance.

Back