Is Tuna actually bad

popeye29

Hey guys im just curious about eating tuna. Im a college student and i have a limited income so tuna is cheap and high in protein.
So i eat about 6-8 cans a day, for the last 6 months.
Im just curious is there any serious side effect when consuming this much tuna and whats your guys opinion.
Thanks guys

The mercury in it. That might not be such a good idea. You wanna switch it up 2. Like chicken breast, Ham. Don't just eat canned food, eat some steak, salad, veggies etc..

Not only the mercury in it, but also the Sodium content. Problem is if you wash the tuna with water to remove the sodium it ends up tasting bland and like cardboard.

There is a thread somewhere on here from me about getting mercury poisoning last year. I was eating about 80-90 ounces a week. It is not as hard as you would think to get it.

It can seriously mess you up, so limit your tuna consumption.

yikes, I hope not I am eating 2-3 cans a day.... after reading above post maybe I'll try and cut back a bit lol

I eat canned tuna three times a week, I wash out the sodium (cardboard flavor) but then squeeze a lemon and put pepper to get some flavor back. But yeah limit it to 3 times a week, mercury poisoning can happen pretty easily if you are downing multiple cans daily.

Tuna is a super food. Not only it is a great source of lean protein, and packed to the gills with nurtients like vitamin B12, Vitamin D and iron, but they also taste great and can be made into dozens of dishes.

Tuna brings so many benefits to your health, but IMO balance is the key. In life and in your diet too. Vegetables and fruits should be a part of your daily diet too. Good luck !

i get my chicken, pork, and ground beef for $1.99 a pound ...... each cooked 8oz serving has about 24g of protein. it really is not much more than tuna. got to look for sales at your grocery.

tuna is a great source of protein, though i'm kinda concerned about mercury in it...so i think that eating tuna 3 times per week is definitely enough...you should feed your body with different types of protein...chicken,ground beef, eggs...all of these are not very expensive...there should be variety in food...

I eat canned tuna three times a week, I wash out the sodium (cardboard flavor) but then squeeze a lemon and put pepper to get some flavor back. But yeah limit it to 3 times a week, mercury poisoning can happen pretty easily if you are downing multiple cans daily.

Why not just avoid the canned tuna and get tuna from the fish section? No excessive sodium or preservatives...

Why not just avoid the canned tuna and get tuna from the fish section? No excessive sodium or preservatives...
the mercury in fish doesn't come from the canning process, it comes from industrial pollutants. The determining factor for your risk in getting heavy metals from your seafood is a matter of where your seafood comes from and where what it ate comes from. Tuna is a fish that eats smaller fish, so not only do you have to think about where the tuna live, but where do its food sources live, and where do the food sources of what those ate come from?

Heavy metals are at really low levels in seawater (unless you're right by a factory or something), but most organisms will absorb very small amounts over time and the process of eliminating heavy metals is very slow, so it accumulates. Not a big deal. The problem is that say you have a shrimp floating around in the water. He's got a tiny bit of mercury in him from the seawater and algae and all that. Along comes a pollock and he eats about a hundred of those shrimp, so he has 100x that level. Along comes a tuna, who eats a few pollock, so he multiplies that amount even more. He and a few of his tuna buddies get eaten by a shark who then gets caught and bought on sale at the fish market.

Back to tuna, the FDA recommends that you not eat more than 2 meals of tuna a week. Is an extra can or two going to hurt you? Probably not, and not right away, just like the fish, it takes time for a person to accumulate a toxic level of mercury, but it would probably be beneficial to replace some of those 6 cans a week with something else like the frozen chicken breast that's always on sale

Spiderpig: spanish mackerel has about half the ppm of mercury on average that albacore tuna has, king mackerel (gulf of mexico, pretty big fish) has nearly double that of tuna, and chub mackerel (the kind you eat out of tins) has around 1/5 the amount that albacore has (depending on atlantic or pacific), as it's a small fish

the mercury in fish doesn't come from the canning process, it comes from industrial pollutants. The determining factor for your risk in getting heavy metals from your seafood is a matter of where your seafood comes from and where what it ate comes from. Tuna is a fish that eats smaller fish, so not only do you have to think about where the tuna live, but where do its food sources live, and where do the food sources of what those ate come from?

Heavy metals are at really low levels in seawater (unless you're right by a factory or something), but most organisms will absorb very small amounts over time and the process of eliminating heavy metals is very slow, so it accumulates. Not a big deal. The problem is that say you have a shrimp floating around in the water. He's got a tiny bit of mercury in him from the seawater and algae and all that. Along comes a pollock and he eats about a hundred of those shrimp, so he has 100x that level. Along comes a tuna, who eats a few pollock, so he multiplies that amount even more. He and a few of his tuna buddies get eaten by a shark who then gets caught and bought on sale at the fish market.

Back to tuna, the FDA recommends that you not eat more than 2 meals of tuna a week. Is an extra can or two going to hurt you? Probably not, and not right away, just like the fish, it takes time for a person to accumulate a toxic level of mercury, but it would probably be beneficial to replace some of those 6 cans a week with something else like the frozen chicken breast that's always on sale

Spiderpig: spanish mackerel has about half the ppm of mercury on average that albacore tuna has, king mackerel (gulf of mexico, pretty big fish) has nearly double that of tuna, and chub mackerel (the kind you eat out of tins) has around 1/5 the amount that albacore has (depending on atlantic or pacific), as it's a small fish

I'm in agreement with everything you said but I'm under the impression the tuna recommendations set forth by the FDA for 2cans/wk were set for children and pregnant or nursing women. Otherwise healthy adults can consume a tad but more but my memory is fuzzy on the actual number. This is not to say you can eat 15cans/wk obviously but you might not be limited to only 2cans/wk

You shouldnt eat tuna more then twice a week. Mercury is extremely high and can lead to Alzheimer's or dementia or extreme forgetfulness. Our intake needs are so much higher then the average persons that we probably eat a couple days worth in a single day. When I do eat it I eat it once a week. The cheapest bulk protien is bulk chicken and its better for you. Hit up a sams club and buy 10lbs of chicken breast for $20. Tuna is almost a dollar a can thats cheap but not competitive to chickens price. I personally spend about $170 a month on chicken alone. Im sure some of the guys bigger then me spend over $200

You shouldnt eat tuna more then twice a week. Mercury is extremely high and can lead to Alzheimer's or dementia or extreme forgetfulness. Our intake needs are so much higher then the average persons that we probably eat a couple days worth in a single day. When I do eat it I eat it once a week. The cheapest bulk protien is bulk chicken and its better for you. Hit up a sams club and buy 10lbs of chicken breast for $20. Tuna is almost a dollar a can thats cheap but not competitive to chickens price. I personally spend about $170 a month on chicken alone. Im sure some of the guys bigger then me spend over $200

Read my post above ^^^ I'm pretty sure that recommendation by the FDA is only for children and pregnant or nursing women. Adults can handle more than 2cans/wk but that's not to say you should overdo it either.

Expand your poverty meal menu.... Include ramen noodles, chef boyardee ( however u spell it) and pb and j sandwiches..... Stop being lazy bro , get a foreman grill and a rice cooker if you don't have a stove. Meat is not that expensive especially if you get the meat that's about to go bad and cook it ! And rice is dirt cheap. Chicken breasts , sirloin steaks, pork chops , salmon oh my. Put some seasoning on it and a little bit of hot sauce . Good to go. Cook for a few days on Sunday and store everything in the fridge. Then again during the middle of the week. Freeze all meat you don't cook. Come on Popeye and don't forget your spinach !

Back