It's not in the weight......

Ozzy27

Olympian Bodybuilder
It's in the form. I watch ego's at the gym all the time and I hear people ask......how much can you bench? To look at me you would think maybe 300-325. I do not entertain the weight game as I am getting older and my joints hurt from trying to be a super star in the past. I get so much more of a ripped look and in turn look bigger than I am. Maybe that's why it's called "Body Building" , because I am sculpting my body into a chisled look , not a fire plug look.
So when I hear the age old saying...lift big or go home....I laugh. My saying is lift heavy today and feel it later in life...NO DOUBT!!
I don't have to go to the gym and bring my ego today to get huge. I get big just Isolating my movments and holding them in each direction. Trust me...it will work for you too. Just take a look at the guys biceps who is doing "Swing Curls"...he aint got any!!
You do not have to lift heavy to grow....PERIOD!!

Peace Oz

It's in the form. I watch ego's at the gym all the time and I hear people ask......how much can you bench? To look at me you would think maybe 300-325. I do not entertain the weight game as I am getting older and my joints hurt from trying to be a super star in the past. I get so much more of a ripped look and in turn look bigger than I am. Maybe that's why it's called "Body Building" , because I am sculpting my body into a chisled look , not a fire plug look.
So when I hear the age old saying...lift big or go home....I laugh. My saying is lift heavy today and feel it later in life...NO DOUBT!!
I don't have to go to the gym and bring my ego today to get huge. I get big just Isolating my movments and holding them in each direction. Trust me...it will work for you too. Just take a look at the guys biceps who is doing "Swing Curls"...he aint got any!!
You do not have to lift heavy to grow....PERIOD!!

Peace Oz

correct never train with ego

I am very guilty of that too. I work out at home alone and still do too much sometimes. LOL

Hey Ozzy my saying has always been: looking like your strong, and not being strong, very gay!:D

Most parts i aggree with your post, yes isolation will work, but not nearly as much as heavy compound will do. Especially for a natty!

I know a lot of older lifters who lift heavy, but not in the 1-8rep ranges but in 15+.

Im a big advocate on lifting heavy as possible, in the safest possible way. It can be done.

Also cheating with certain moves is possible but very advanced and shouldnt be done 99.9% of the time.

Ozzy you made me curioius? How old are you mate?

I'm 48 and I'm not Gay. I'm not saying to avoid heavy lifting all together , I'm saying to the point other body parts have to come to the rescue to lift the weight. You do have to go a little heavy to grow....but not insanely so like I use to. I tried the bench again today and my shoulder hurts when I do benching ...either close grip or wide. But doing other excercises , I can go heavy within a safe way.
It's only in bench where I have to really stay away from....my shoulders do need alot of warming up. Just like when I do skull crushers I have to warm up for 3 sets before I can really hit it or my elbow KILLS!

Yeah man benching is not actually a very good move at all. Imho the only safe way to do it is using the PL style and then its not that hot for bb purposes. Im only 27 and i can only bench with a narrow grip, i actually do that when i bench in meets too.

And i realise that when im older i will have to train different, but for young bucks i would say, learn form, and then lift heavy to be heavy(with low volume).

P.S. I didnt say that your gay, but your defensive is making me homophobic now!...LOL:D

Hate to admit it but I guess I would be one of those older lifters as I'm 40. I still lift as heavy as possible and push to maintain and grow; though maintaining is more inline what happens. I try to keep my lifts between 5 to 10 reps; depending on the body part.

I may be one of the lucky ones that I don't feel the pains. While I have had some pains in the past I have found adapting my work out around not feeling these pains or working on reasons why I have those pains has helped immensely. I realize at this age there are certain things I cannot do but there are things I still can. So while I agree with mikea more so, Ozzy has some good points.

I have had a hard life while playing hard at it. I'm paying the price now , but at my age and still out there doing Heavy Highway Construction , I am greatful to God that he has kept me going through it all. I have a 2 level fusion in L-4 , L-5 , S-1 of my Lumbar. Everyday I wake up and say ....I just don't have it in me today God...I can not keep doing this work , every muscle in my body aches....but he gets me through it. It takes me 1/2 an hour of stretching on the floor before I can head out the door. I thought hitting 40 was a bitch....I'm pushing close to 50 , 10 years makes a HUGE difference bro. Let me tell ya....you will feel all those heavy lifts in your joints eventually. It'a not a matter of if , but a matter of when. Because it will come to us all. I'm thinking of taking up Yoga! I'd be staring at those non panty wearing woman and those camel toes all session........lol But I'm serious about that....yoga is a good thing.

Ozzy, even at this age I have issues. I also played hard and still am. I crushed my C6 and C7 back in 2005 and then in 2008 did further damage with my C5. Surgery has always been an option but my sports doctor says only when I say I can't take it any more. For the most part doing great and thankful and am still rolling in BJJ.

I've broken some many things, had too many surgeries that I know that sooner then later I will be feeling something but then at least I will know I'm a live and will have little regrets of missing out on things in life.

I have always said you have to lift for life and by that I mean lifting with good form and technique so that you set a good template you can follow into your later years. I believe because of my lifting and because I keep active that I will always feel young like I do and still be able to keep up with them and surpass many. When I look at how fit I am at 40 and then look at 20 and 30 year olds that don't even compare, I know I'm doing it right.

Good for you to keep this up and I hope you and I both lift well past our 50's.

Back