Keto Diet Plan (Quick Opinion)

djester

Hey all, just looking to see how this plan looks. I've been on it for a week and I know people don't like ketostix, but it's a nice boost in confidence when it turns a shade of purple (which mine have). Not really looking for advice, more of an affirmative if my sources of fats are okay. Carbs are basically 0, because I left room for light spices and fresh spinach and peppers to spice up some meals. (would keep it below 20-30 g of carbs even when I eat them). I'm 5 10 215 and also running the E/C/A stack minus the aspirin. Picture is attached. Thank you.
TDEE: 2566
BMR: 1984

There are 4 meals starting with the bold numbers in column A. I'm OCD with excel and like to hardwire all the numbers lol.

You can't eat that much rice on Keto. Not sure why you have that on the food list.

Get more protein. You have too little. One gram per pound of body weight is a good goal. But Lyle McDonald recommends at least 150g daily while on a Keto diet.

I don't see any high fiber vegetables in there. Don't you want to poop? Or get some vitamins? I love raw cabbage with olive oil and parmesan cheese! Tomatoes. Cucumbers. Romaine salads. Veggies kept me sane on Keto. They are all very low in Net Carbs.

A yeah, just set your macro goals. Try to get less the 30g of net carbs per day and 215g+ of protein. The rest of your calories from fat to reach your caloric target. Good luck!

Last edited:
It's on the food list because I was originally eating that the first day. But i took it out of the meals if you look at the meals. Thanks for the advice, I try not to go by the 1 g/ lb because I end up having too many calories from protein while trying to cut. I measured it about .6 g/lb. I take fiber and a multi. The question I'm asking is if these sources of fat are sufficient.

It's on the food list because I was originally eating that the first day. But i took it out of the meals if you look at the meals. Thanks for the advice, I try not to go by the 1 g/ lb because I end up having too many calories from protein while trying to cut. I measured it about .6 g/lb. I take fiber and a multi. The question I'm asking is if these sources of fat are sufficient.

Keto doesn't care what your fat sources are. It can be lard or cream or soybean oil. You will be in ketosis if you keep your net carbs low enough. Juat eat what you feel like while staying within your macros.

Ketone strips are fine btw; just remember that if you're burning them as fuel (ketones), there will be less in your urine. I aimed for two to three shades in, as exercising prevented me from ever seeing dark purple. (at <20g of carbs per day)

Agree with Tron on pretty much everything else, although tomatoes should be a "treat" as they are 5g per tomato in net carbs. ;)

My .02c :)

Awesome, thanks for the replies, and that makes me feel better about the strips. Three days in the color was dark, now I'm in between the second and 3rd shades and I thought I was moving backwards. Makes sense though. Thanks for the input.

Ketone strips are fine btw; just remember that if you're burning them as fuel (ketones), there will be less in your urine. I aimed for two to three shades in, as exercising prevented me from ever seeing dark purple. (at <20g of carbs per day)

Agree with Tron on pretty much everything else, although tomatoes should be a "treat" as they are 5g per tomato in net carbs. ;)

My .02c :)

I was thinking the cherry/grape tomatoes. A little better than the big beefeater ones if I recall correctly. 150g is only 4g of net carbs. And they fill you up. They were one of the things that helped me get through 9 months of Keto. :)

By the way, sugar free jello was a lifesaver the first month!

Last edited:
I was thinking the cherry/grape tomatoes. A little better than the big beefeater ones if I recall correctly. 150g is only 4g of net carbs. And they fill you up. They were one of the things that helped me get through 9 months of Keto. :)

By the way, sugar free jello was a lifesaver the first month!
High micronutrient content foods are always a win. :)

I would tend to spend my carbs on low carb ice cream and yogurt haha. But YES, mandarin orange sugar free jello ftw!

Quick update and a question:

I've been on point with my diet. Sunday I had a little carb up (few pieces of the bread that bruschetta is usually served on with calm juice and clams). Tested for ketosis the next morning with the Ketostix and was still in ketosis. So hopefully that's a good sign. I am down a total of 7 pounds since last Monday (~9 days).

My question is, this weekend I am going to NYC for a friends 21st. I am a first year college graduate so I will be drinking pretty heavily (not casually). I wanted to know how I should set up my diet to revolve around friday and saturday night. I understand I am going to get knocked out of ketosis, but It's a sacrifice to enjoy life when the opportunity presents itself. I will try to stick to straight liquors like whiskey and stay away from mixed drinks.

Thanks for your advice,

Quick update and a question:

I've been on point with my diet. Sunday I had a little carb up (few pieces of the bread that bruschetta is usually served on with calm juice and clams). Tested for ketosis the next morning with the Ketostix and was still in ketosis. So hopefully that's a good sign. I am down a total of 7 pounds since last Monday (~9 days).

My question is, this weekend I am going to NYC for a friends 21st. I am a first year college graduate so I will be drinking pretty heavily (not casually). I wanted to know how I should set up my diet to revolve around friday and saturday night. I understand I am going to get knocked out of ketosis, but It's a sacrifice to enjoy life when the opportunity presents itself. I will try to stick to straight liquors like whiskey and stay away from mixed drinks.

Thanks for your advice,

High proof alcohol with diet mixers contain hardly any carbs. ;) I used to have a couple bacardi 151 drinks mixed with diet coke or diet Dr Pepper. It's the fruity stuff that has the sugar - which will knock you out of ketosis.

Be sure to drink LOTS of water afterwards, you're not retaining much while in ketosis, so getting dehydrated from alcohol is much easier - bringing the pain the next morning. :)

im calcuating your tdee closer to 2800 calories.l.

youre eating 1700 calories.. wont be long before your weight loss stalls due to ********* slow down

So I think I'm going to switch over to a traditional low fat diet. Taking away 200 calories each week (only if I am losing under 2 lbs/week).

If my TDEE is around 2800. What should my starting amount of calories be for week 1?

I'm going to eat clean for 4 weeks and introduce carb ups every 9 days after that 4 week period.
Protein will be high ~300 to start and I'll be dropping 25g of carbs and a few g of fat each week (granted I am losing under 2 lbs for that week)

Thanks, just not staying satisfied without the carbs on keto and I end up over indulging. I've done the low fat diet last summer and had great results.

Maybe stick it out for 2 more weeks to let your body fully adjust. I feel much more satisfied on keto than I do with low fat & carbs.

Bottom line is the best diet is the one you can stick to. For me that's keto. I just had 2 cheese burgers with no bun, pickles and shredded cabbage with thousand island and feel totally satisfied.

My 2 cents.

So I think I'm going to switch over to a traditional low fat diet. Taking away 200 calories each week (only if I am losing under 2 lbs/week).

If my TDEE is around 2800. What should my starting amount of calories be for week 1?

I'm going to eat clean for 4 weeks and introduce carb ups every 9 days after that 4 week period.
Protein will be high ~300 to start and I'll be dropping 25g of carbs and a few g of fat each week (granted I am losing under 2 lbs for that week)

Thanks, just not staying satisfied without the carbs on keto and I end up over indulging. I've done the low fat diet last summer and had great results.

As the previous poster said, stick it out a little bit. It takes time to mentally adjust to a diet. I cut best on low-carb, and that means I have to give up pasta (and I am Italian). It takes a while for me to quit crying like a little bitch during meal prep, but it is worth it.

Hopping between diets works about as well as hopping between training programs.

Back