Leg Press and leg extensions vs. Squating

B bOy CrAyOn

Learning the Ways
I basically just wanna know the most necessary exercise for bigger legs.... is squating the best or leg press and leg extensions and leg curls the best or whats the best combo.. asking cuzz i just started doing legs now for the first time and i dont plan on taking it easy on them, i wanna put in my good time and sweat in to building some tree trunks with the proper exercises

squats/box squats/ throw in bands and chains...that's it. leg extension, i'm not flaming it but in my oww opinion, hurts the knees and you wouldn't want that when you're squatting. leg press is an option. honestly, all legs workouts out there are just options. they're good and bad..i'd say stick with the basics..like squats!

use all those exercises, just keep in mind that squats and squat variations will be your bread and butter for strength and size. and dont forget the stiff leg deads.

Leg extensions are only good for warming up...never go heavy on these. I've found they do more harm than good.

Gumbo

gumbo said:
Leg extensions are only good for warming up...never go heavy on these. I've found they do more harm than good.

Gumbo

why wouldnt you go heavy on lex ext's

like stated before all those exercises are good for the wheels but squats and stiff legged deads CANNOT be neglected.

B bOy CrAyOn said:
I basically just wanna know the most necessary exercise for bigger legs.... is squating the best or leg press and leg extensions and leg curls the best or whats the best combo.. asking cuzz i just started doing legs now for the first time and i dont plan on taking it easy on them, i wanna put in my good time and sweat in to building some tree trunks with the proper exercises
I use all of the above.. Personally, I seperate my hamstring and quad days since I tended to slack from being exhausted after my squats. This way I can blast my hammies full force. This works amazingly (for me) for my hamstring growth and I suggest you experienced guys try it for a few weeks if you're struggling on hammies!

Hammy day I do stiff legged deadlifts, walking lunges, leg curls (variation seated, standing), and calves.

Quad day - squats (usually pyramid style and parallel), leg press, extensions, sometimes switch the hacksquat up for the leg press or maybe some front squats, and then calves again.

Squatting never did much for my quad development. I can't properly OLY squat at all. I know a few guys at my gym with some sick legs who don't like squats. I think most people are going to need to squat in the beginning, but i got much more quad development from hacks. I found squatting later on would than hit the glutes and hams nicely and still work my quads some. We have a squat swing machine at my gym which may be the sickest quad machine i have ever seen.

jcp2 said:
We have a squat swing machine at my gym which may be the sickest quad machine i have ever seen.
I think I may know what you're talking about, but do you have a picture/link of this?

Back