Legs not growing?

This is the first leg routine that worked for me.

135lbs warm up 2x25
225lbs warm up 2x15
315lbs 1x12to15
405lbs 1x8to10
495lbs 1x6
315lbs 1xto failure
225lbs front squat 1x failure
225lb close stance squat 1x failure

Leg Press
720lbs 3x15
Leg Extensions
Entire rack 2xfailure
Leg Curls
150lbs 2xfailure

I think that the core of the work out should consist of squats with a rep range of 8 to 15.

Last edited:
I feel your pain, i am 6'3. I can tell you what worked for me, and my friends always laugh because they know exactly what i am going to say.

2x20 on the hack, these have to be sets where you don't get 20 though, make sure you improve every week. And don't start off doing 12's, use a weight that you are hitting 18 or so on at least your first set, if not 20, but not so light that you get 2x20

squats 2x12

leg extension and the rest never did shit for me, except for certain horizontal leg presses.

hey jcp2 do you wrap your knees on hack squats? cuase i seem to get knee pain durring hacks and nothing else.

jcp2 said:
I feel your pain, i am 6'3. I can tell you what worked for me, and my friends always laugh because they know exactly what i am going to say.

2x20 on the hack, these have to be sets where you don't get 20 though, make sure you improve every week. And don't start off doing 12's, use a weight that you are hitting 18 or so on at least your first set, if not 20, but not so light that you get 2x20

squats 2x12

leg extension and the rest never did shit for me, except for certain horizontal leg presses.

no, but my feet are only about half on the platform. Your knees hurt because they are too low on the platform probably.

I didn't bother to read most of the replies in this thread, but I did read the original question.

If you want to see some good growth in your legs, hit them with 20 rep squats/hacks/leg press.

Get your warmups in, then bust out an all out set of 20. If you can get 20, then next workout increase your weight. Keep pushing yourself. Go deep on your squats and hit 20 reppers!!!

Easto said:
I didn't bother to read most of the replies in this thread, but I did read the original question.

If you want to see some good growth in your legs, hit them with 20 rep squats/hacks/leg press.

Get your warmups in, then bust out an all out set of 20. If you can get 20, then next workout increase your weight. Keep pushing yourself. Go deep on your squats and hit 20 reppers!!!

Super squats is a great book for gaining mass and its foundation is the 20rep routine

mister69 said:
legs are tough to figure out for alot of people; but as long as u are eating enough and adding weight to the bar (even if only 5lbs) then u will be growing.

Oh; mandatory for legs to grow imo is a 20 repper (brutal)

20 reppers of hack squats\ leg press\ front squats\or regular squats.

Dont forget the hamstrings do stiff leg deadlifts \good mornings\ pullthurs work well.

If you want every once in a while throw in some lying leg curls a brutal set of 20-30 works well imo.

Oh and dont forget to do floor deads and rack deadlifts on back day.

Check out Do Deadlifts Thicken waist page 6 ...great routine! Pullinbigs routine works wonders..he knows his stuff.

BEst of luck
I agree 20 reppers help jump start some1 who is stauled, but don't do 20 reppers for everything...if u're gonna do em do 1x20 for squats...thats its..... 20 as in u may only get 18....pausing several times after your 13th rep or so. gotta get a weight that is heavy enough 2 do the trick. But don't do them as a main workout....usually do heavy weights low reps and keep your cals up...diet is VERY important and so is rest. Get your carbs, protein, and essential fats(use olive oil when cooking or even put it in our shakes, + omega 3's) U gotta eat 2 grow. Focus on the big 3 deads, bench, squat all the other shit helps but is not THAT important
G"luck 2 ya

well he can try what i do or try the others it doesnt matter. i feel it works for me. i am probably not as large as you guys afterall i am new at this. But last time i checked both gorillas and lions never worked out all day, yet a gorilla can easily do a one arm chin up and a lion can jump a 3 meter gate with an antelope in his mouth! But when these animals do show streght by defending territory they do it with great intensity. I feel high intensity workout works best for me. Plus i only work out for about 35 min. doing 20 reps squats like most weightlifters (taking about 1 1/2 sec to go up and 1 1/2 do go down) @ 295 feels easier than just 8-12 (4 sec down 4 sec up) @ 225. I simply feel more intensity. plus i like doing my lifts with slowness and good form. And only having to work out for 35 min with my routine is a blessing. since i dont take steroids i need all the rest i can get and i need to be careful of not overtraining myself.

But heck if the guy want to do 20 good luck to him.

Hell i dont even dont even take protein shakes so maybe he shouldnt listen to me. All i know is that several studies show that too much protein can make you over work your liver and have a shorter life span. The only thing i trust is plain old creatine monohydrate. :toilet:

Last edited:
Easto said:

This is much easier said than done. Tried it for a few weeks. 20 reppers didn't go up at all. If anything my squats went down. But it's probably cuz my body can't handle hard endurance. I think heavy squats and then a light 20 repper on the leg press helps though. I used to do this, but increased too fast and couldn't handle it. Now I'm just gonna stick with 4 plates and every month move it up a little

OK, thanks for the help. I am gonna focus on diet some more and also drop my 3x6 squats and do 1x20 instead. We'll give that a few weeks and see where I get. I might come back with more Q's.

Actually, I have one now...what are hack squats good for?

Back