Liver Health: Milk Thistle

grafixLSUalum

Milk thistle is the most researched and best understood of all the medicinal herbs. Several studies have confirmed the most significant property of Milk Thistle: the ability to protect and help rejuvenate the liver. Milk Thistle has been used medically to heal the liver since the middle of the first century. When Milk Thistle is taken with other herbs such as dandelion, artichokem and licorice, liver protection and bile excretion (important for lowering cholesterol levels) are enhanced.

Functions of the Liver:

• Filters the blood for bacteria that enters your body
  • Converts carbohydrates and proteins into fat, and stores it for later use
  • Stores Vit. A, D, and B12 and minerals like copper and iron until they are needed
  • Converts sugar into glycogen and stores it until the muscles need energy
  • Synthesizes triglycerides and cholesterol
  • Makes and secretes the bile needed in the digestion of fats
  • Makes urea from CO2 and ammonia
  • Produces hundreds of enzymes needed for digestion and other bodily functions
  • Breaks down medications so you can use them effectively
  • Metabolizes alcohol and other toxins
  • Activates and metabolizes hormones
  • Produces clotting factors to help the blood clot

What Milk Thistle Does for the Liver:

• The medicinal parts of the Milk Thistle plant are the seeds and the fruit, when it ripens, the fruit contains 3 powerful compounds, collectively called Silymarin
  • Milk Thistle is a powerful antioxidant (protects liver from oxidation)
  • The silymarin in Milk Thistle protects the liver from harmful toxins and helps treat liver diseases
  • Milk Thistle can prevent or reduce medication-induced liver damage
  • Since the liver can regenerate, like blood and skin (both organs) when damaged, silymarin helps the liver regenerate itself by stimulating growth of liver cells

Standard Dosages:

Ussually 140mg-300mg, 2-3 times daily. However, pay attention to the Silymarin content. I found a good product, produced by NOW Foods, it's 300mg Silymarin, 100mg Dandelion Root Extract, 50mg Artichoke Extract. There are 100 servings per bottle, 100 capsules, pretty cheap as well.

1. Steven Foster Group. The Milk Thistle Silybum marium. Accessed: 10/25/2002. <http://www.stevenfoster.com/education/monograph/milkthistle.html>.
  2. Blumenthal M., Goldberg A., Brinkmann J., ed. Milk Thistle Fruit. Herbal Medicne Expanded. Austin, TX.: American Botanical Council; Integrative Medicine Communications; 2000: 257-263.
  3. Robbers J. E., Tyler V.E. Tyler's Herb of Choice. Bringhampton, NY. The Hawthorn Herbal Press: 1999: 76-79.
    [/list=1]

Milk Thistle is good, but they have much better liver protectors out there. Liv-52, ALA, Tylers are also great liver protectors & rejuvenators

LongBall said:
I take it everyday along with my D-Bol:D

LongBall

Just kinda curious bro....i'm getting ready to start my dbol on monday...how much r u taking each day??

Back