Mixed Sets - Not sure if that is the right word

sifubmf

Generally when I lift I work on one exercise at a time. For instance, if I am doing 3x10 lat pull downs, 3x10 skullcrushers, and 3x10 dumbbell bench I will finish up all sets and move to the next exercise. I would do 10 lat pull downs, rest, 10 more lat pull downs, rest, then my last 10 lat pull downs. After that I would do 10 skullcrushers, rest, 10 more skullcrushers, rest, then finish up my last 10 skullcrushers, and then I would move on to the next exercise.

My question is in regards to seeing people approach this differently. In the same scenario they would do 10 lat pull downs, then move to 10 skullcrushers, then move to 10 dumbbell benches, then move back for their 2nd set of 10 lat pull downs, then to their second set of 10 skullcrushers, then to their 2nd set of 10 dumbbell benches.

Is there any benefit to doing it this way instead of doing all of your sets for one exercise at once?

Thanks.

sifubmf said:
Generally when I lift I work on one exercise at a time. For instance, if I am doing 3x10 lat pull downs, 3x10 skullcrushers, and 3x10 dumbbell bench I will finish up all sets and move to the next exercise. I would do 10 lat pull downs, rest, 10 more lat pull downs, rest, then my last 10 lat pull downs. After that I would do 10 skullcrushers, rest, 10 more skullcrushers, rest, then finish up my last 10 skullcrushers, and then I would move on to the next exercise.

My question is in regards to seeing people approach this differently. In the same scenario they would do 10 lat pull downs, then move to 10 skullcrushers, then move to 10 dumbbell benches, then move back for their 2nd set of 10 lat pull downs, then to their second set of 10 skullcrushers, then to their 2nd set of 10 dumbbell benches.

Is there any benefit to doing it this way instead of doing all of your sets for one exercise at once?

Thanks.

Hmmm, well... It's pretty similar to what I call a super set but I don't generally run three like that in a row. It's usually two oposite movements or movements that could compliment eachother without hindering. follow me? ..and you run them straight into eachother with rests a little longer then your normal 60 sec rest (I usually go 90 sec's).
The way I do it would be (for example).. Standing DB Curls "super set" w/DB Bent rows. I use this on my back and bi day to transition from back to bi's. so basically it's my last back movement and first bi movement all at the same time. I go and get my 2 50lb DB's and my one 100lb DB all ready and by a flat bench. I do my standing alt DB Curls (8-10 reps) then IMMEDIATELY grab the 100lb DB and do bent rows each side same reps. Rest 90 sec's then keep repeating 3-4 times. Their ball busters sometimes but great for cutting routines and definition.

Thanks for the info man. Though, can you tell me if there is really any benefit to doing it this way? What I mean is do you gain any type of benefit from doing "super sets" or whatever they are called to just doing your 2x10, or whatever, of your one exercise then moving on and doing your 2x10 of your next exercise and so on.

Thanks.

sifubmf said:
Thanks for the info man. Though, can you tell me if there is really any benefit to doing it this way? What I mean is do you gain any type of benefit from doing "super sets" or whatever they are called to just doing your 2x10, or whatever, of your one exercise then moving on and doing your 2x10 of your next exercise and so on.

Thanks.

Sure, it has benefits. It would also depend on the type of routine your running but it works great when training to failure. For me doing these super sets, my benefit is reaching failure much quicker and w/a wider range of muscles and secondary groups. Failure for me seems to REALLY stimulate my lean mass growth factor and enhance definition. Another benefit is your keeping your heart rate up and burning more calories. Great for programs where your trying to get cut or shredded. Also, it's great for increasing muscle endurance. If you noticed certain muscles petering out at times, start running super sets to help bring them up to par.

I think that you could be hindering your back growth like this. Db rents requires alot of bi use so fatiguing bis while doing back is going to prevent you from gaining more strength and size on your lats. Id rather just do back first, rest 5 minutes then hit bis.

JayC said:
Hmmm, well... It's pretty similar to what I call a super set but I don't generally run three like that in a row. It's usually two oposite movements or movements that could compliment eachother without hindering. follow me? ..and you run them straight into eachother with rests a little longer then your normal 60 sec rest (I usually go 90 sec's).
The way I do it would be (for example).. Standing DB Curls "super set" w/DB Bent rows. I use this on my back and bi day to transition from back to bi's. so basically it's my last back movement and first bi movement all at the same time. I go and get my 2 50lb DB's and my one 100lb DB all ready and by a flat bench. I do my standing alt DB Curls (8-10 reps) then IMMEDIATELY grab the 100lb DB and do bent rows each side same reps. Rest 90 sec's then keep repeating 3-4 times. Their ball busters sometimes but great for cutting routines and definition.

I'll have to agree with jay c, supersets may stimulate new growth and bring about increased definition. Also if you train your muscles in a certain order you will find that the muscle you train first gets the majority of your effort and the muscle you train next would'nt as you are allready fatigued. Bi curl superset with db rows is great and db bench superset with tricep extensions is good. Then both muscles are equally stimulated.

Superset is when you mix two exercises for the same muscle group. What the thread starter is talking about is called circuit training, where you hit different major groups at once.

I personally never added this type of training to any serious routine I do, and think that it isnt effective for mass building or cutting, more of an overall body endurance type workout.

motawa said:
Superset is when you mix two exercises for the same muscle group. What the thread starter is talking about is called circuit training, where you hit different major groups at once.

I personally never added this type of training to any serious routine I do, and think that it isnt effective for mass building or cutting, more of an overall body endurance type workout.

+1

Back