Muscle Milk before bedtime?

Musculo Fuerte

Culturismo Es Mi Vida
So, I'm in the process of trying to lose about 3% body fat (I'm about 14% right now). I'm doing carb cycling, where I do around 60-70 grams of carbs with higher HEALTHY fat intake (70-80 g) for about two days. Then, for one day, I go higher on carbs (150-200 g) and lower in fat (20-30g). My caloric intake is around 1900. Also, I'm doing about 1.5-2 grams of protein per body lb. Stats are: age 18, 145 lbs, 5'4", 14% body fat.

Now here's the question: Assuming my body is still in a caloric deficit and is on a low-carb day, would it be safe to consume one serving of Muscle Milk right before bed w/o adding bf? I would think so, but just want to verify. The reason that I want to do it before bed is because of the casein content, which will keep a steady flow of aminos running through my system in the night, which means my body won't go as catabolic. I dread the thought of losing too much hard earned muscle!

Thanks for your input!

I do include about half a scoop of muscle milk in my nighttime shake, but not because it is the best choice in terms of nutrition (too many simple sugars) - I do it because it tastes great!

I also include some casienate protein from www.trueprotein.com. It is much better for me but tastes pretty bad and is chalky and thick. A bit of ice in the mix helps.

So, the answer is, there are better choices than muscle milk, but 1 scoop isn't likely to sink your ship.

That's what I figured. Thanks Trevdog! BTW, That site is crazy! I think I found a new favorite resource! How do their proteins taste in comparison to, say, Optimum Nutrition?

Last edited:
Musculo Fuerte said:
That's what I figured. Thanks Trevdog! BTW, That site is crazy! I think I found a new favorite resource! How do their proteins taste in comparison to, say, Optimum Nutrition?

That odd rep you got was from me Q! I accidentally entered it before I finished it! Just saying hello!

I use casein-whey-egg white matrix with some mulberry.Mulberry has Restevatrol; which is natural NO, keeps your veins large and easy to transport that amount of protein all night to muscles.

Yeah, I thought MM was really high in fat too, unless ure talking about the chickie version, which I believe is lower but still high.
That's more of a weight gainer, no?

muscle milk is appropriate imho for low-carbers. Obviously, if you keep your carbs very low, your body burns more fat as an energy source. Plus, the lipid profile of MM also includes CLA as well as L-Carnitine which actually promotes the metabolism of fatty acids. I dunno, I think if used correctly it can be effective. Plus, of you shop around, you can find good deals on the stuff. And yes Mosh, it can also be used as a weightgainer assuming that you take in more servings.

Musculo Fuerte said:

Sorry I missed this post. The taste is very good, especially if you get the upgrade flavors. I think they are MUCH better than optimum whey. I LOVE the orange juice indulgence flavored cold filtration whey isolate.

I don't even use the stuff. You don't take protein just because it taste good, lol! If you want to gain more fat, take the MuscleMilk b4 bed, lol! there are much better proteins out there.

I have 2 scoops with milk b4 bed evry night, it tastes great, has the protein I require. And in terms of simple sugars and fat content, I am still a lean 210lbs. Works great for me. Its been part of diet for the last year.

Thanks for your input there Cman ;-) I mean, they do make it with fats that are less storable and actually digest very slowley, plus the casein is in there as well. Keep in mind the body is fasting while sleeping, so imho, just as long as you're not exceeding your daily caloric intake limit, I would think that it would be fine in terms of preventing fat storage while keeping you anabolic all night. Hmm, I think I've come to a conclusion. Thanks to all of you for your responses!

If you want an overnight sup that is every bit as good if not better than MM try micellar casien from TrueProtien.

Yeah MM taste good, but what are your priorities?

Back