Need help finding chain for my bike

Pickens12

I have a CR 125 I recently got. It has an older steel motor and about a 2000 or so swing arm. The only thing missing is a chain. Can anyone help me figure out what size chain I need? I would appreciate it.

I am new to this site, but I have been looking over it. It seems pretty awesome that it has such a large variety of forums to discuss that are related to more than just steroids and bodybuilding. I can't wait to read more.

I'm not sure what size (thickness) chain those come with but I'm sure a simple google search would answer that. That number would be something like 520, 525 etc. As far as the number of links, that would also depend on the sprockets on the bike- obviously a larger rear sprocket would require more links. If you're asking these questions, then I'm assuming you don't have any chain tools, so I would seriously suggest taking it to a shop or having someone that knows what they're doing help you out.

PS- your rear sprocket likely has the diameter and number of teeth marked on it, that should be a good start. If your sprockets are worn or damaged, I would highly suggest you replace those at the SAME time, lest you destroy your new chain before you have to buy sprockets...

If your replacing the chain you have to replace sprockets too. Not sure why your asking all this here. How old are you???

For a CR 125 with an older steel motor and a 2000 swing arm, a common chain size is 520. Double-check by counting the links on the old chain or referring to the owner's manual for confirmation.

Back