Need Some Major Help With Accutane

I've been on a maintenance dose of 2 pills per week 80mg total for quite some time now. I'm also monitored by my doc getting blood work every 3 months, so far no issues except always having chap stick in my pockets.

My advise, stay away from accutane. About 30 years ago I took it for severe acne. I swear it's the accutane that gave me low T. I have tried to figure out why my T was 170, and I can't see any other cause. Not to mention accutane has been shown to cause birth defects.

Try other stuff!

If you actually bothered to read the thread you later quoted you would of noticed these numbers:

- Total T down from 0.7 - 0.5
- Free T down from 2.9 - 2.5
- FSH down from 6.0 - 5.9

This is absolutely minimal suppression AND the patients levels all recovered when the treatment was stopped.

If you had done your research properly, you would've also found this study:

Effect of isotretinoin on serum levels of precursor and peripherall... - PubMed - NCBI

This study, done nearly 30yrs ago, established that the reason for the lower androgen levels were due to a reduction in the size of the sebaceous glands NOT due to any direct effect on test or the endocrine system itself.

There is ZERO evidence linking hypogonadal levels of test to accutane, zero.
You saying that you "swear" its the tane you were on 30 YEARS AGO means nothing unless you have bloodwork to support your speculative position :)

If you actually bothered to read the thread you later quoted you would of noticed these numbers:

- Total T down from 0.7 - 0.5
- Free T down from 2.9 - 2.5
- FSH down from 6.0 - 5.9

This is absolutely minimal suppression AND the patients levels all recovered when the treatment was stopped.

If you had done your research properly, you would've also found this study:

Effect of isotretinoin on serum levels of precursor and peripherall... - PubMed - NCBI

This study, done nearly 30yrs ago, established that the reason for the lower androgen levels were due to a reduction in the size of the sebaceous glands NOT due to any direct effect on test or the endocrine system itself.

There is ZERO evidence linking hypogonadal levels of test to accutane, zero.
You saying that you "swear" its the tane you were on 30 YEARS AGO means nothing unless you have bloodwork to support your speculative position :)

from the link I posted:
Moreover, while there were no changes in free testosterone, DHEAS or SHBG levels, posttreatment total testosterone levels were also significantly lower than initial values (p < 0.005). Morning cortisol and ACTH levels were also significantly reduced following ISO treatment (p < 0.005 and 0.05, respectively).

Total testosterone levels were significantly lower than initial values. Remember, Going down from .7 to .5 is quite a bit when the scale is " total testosterone (normal 0.1–0.75 ng/ml)".

And also, this study was for 3 months. How many people take/took accutane for quite a bit longer? I certainly did. From what I've read about taking Accutane, if you take it for too long, your acne may permanently disappear. And from the study I linked, it seems the accutane affects the sebaceous glands, which has something to do with testosterone. So, taking it for too long, MAY cause a permanent effect on the sebaceous glands. Which MAY cause a permanent effect on total testosterone.

So, I swear Accutane caused my low T. Am I 100% sure? Of course not. Is it broscience? Seriously? We all know among other things, taking certain phamaceuticals too much can cause low T.

dont spread broscience about pharmaceuticals, no evidence linking low t to tane
Broscience is a derogatory term for misconceptions and ideas of questionable scientific credibility, passed around among laymen by word-of-mouth as if factually true.

My original post that you had to comment on was this:
My advise, stay away from accutane. About 30 years ago I took it for severe acne. I swear it's the accutane that gave me low T. I have tried to figure out why my T was 170, and I can't see any other cause. Not to mention accutane has been shown to cause birth defects.

Try other stuff!

It's dangerous stuff on so many levels. Did I say that it's a fact that accutane will cause low T? I'm trying to help the OP understand that there are safer ways to deal with acne than accutane. We are here to help each other, aren't we? Your derogatory post to me about broscience wasn't necessary. Don't you think we need to warn others from our own experiences?

Now that you've qualified your original opinion extensively I see no problem with it.

You have to see my perspective, I read "I swear its the accutane that gave me low T" - that is clearly a broscience statement since you have no evidence to actually PROVE that it indeed was the tane.
There is no evidence, real scientific data, showing hypogonadal test levels from accutane alone - this is a fact.

I agree that accutane is a high risk drug - but you should warn people about the established sides not the speculative ones. Hell if you read through that thread, theres a bunch of other individuals as skeptical of that study as I am.

As a side note, in order to create a truly effective drug against acne you HAVE to interfere with androgen receptor sensitivity since that is what causes the acnd in the first place. You will NEVER find a drug that combats acne effectively with low risk - simply isnt going to happen.

Accutane is a high risk, high reward drug.
Is it worth it? That completely depends on how badly the acne is effecting your life.

You have to see my perspective, I read "I swear its the accutane that gave me low T" - that is clearly a broscience statement since you have no evidence to actually PROVE that it indeed was the tane.
There is no evidence, real scientific data, showing hypogonadal test levels from accutane alone - this is a fact.
Of course it wasn't my intent to say it is a fact that accutane caused my low T. I looked at all things that cause low T, and none of them pertained to me, except the possibility that drugs can cause low T. And the only drug that I can remember, that I took too much of, was accutane. So, without having absolute proof that my use of accutane caused my low T, I believe it did. But of course I could've clarified that if you had an issue with my response. That would've been a better approach than posting that bro science line you posted.

I agree that accutane is a high risk drug - but you should warn people about the established sides not the speculative ones. Hell if you read through that thread, theres a bunch of other individuals as skeptical of that study as I am.
Yes, I could've warned about the known effects of accutane. I just wanted to make a short comment with hopes that the op would do his own research.

Accutane is a high risk, high reward drug.
Is it worth it? That completely depends on how badly the acne is effecting your life.

You're right. When I took accutane, my acne was so bad that I don't think anyone could've talked me out of taking it. At the time, I would've done anything to get rid of my acne. Looking back now, I wish I never took the drug. As a society, we've become way too dependent on the pharm industry. That's one reason why I was so reluctant to start trt, even though all signs pointed to my need for trt.

And thank you for keeping the conversation civil. All too often, these discussions turn personal.

And to the op, please do you research about the effects of accutane(if you haven't researched already). The bad effects of this drug are horrible.

Absolutely ^^

I used it Accutane once in highschool and it worked wonders for me. But back then I had severe acne and really needed it. These days (a hefty cycle later) acnes back, but I can keep it under control with high dose Zinc. That's the only thing that managed to keep me off Accutane again. I'd love to use it again just for the more permanent effects but... Have to follow what I preach, it's not necessary so I'll avoid it.

Back