Neglected Muscle.

SkedMedz

These are the main muscle groups that people neglect from my experience. What do you guys think?

I. Legs: It is blasphemous, but I still see guys these days that do zero legs. I have to admit though, it took me 5 years before I ever did them as well, so I know the mindset. The reasons for me not doing them(from what I can remember) at the time were:

a. Too hard.
b. Spent too much time on bis & chest to even bother, and worried about donating that day of legs at the expense of neglecting some upper body stuff. This is before the term "over-training" ever passed before my eyes obviously. Mind you, this is like 1986.

I eventually started to do some calves, figuring that in a pair of shorts, I could still hide the stickly-ass uppers, while at the same time having a decent set of lower wheels. Luckily for myself, I started to train with a guy who was HEAVY into legs. He was probably the mirror opposite of myself at the time, as he focused mailny on legs, as that was where he had been gifted with the best genetics, His upper body was lacking. He got me into legs.

II. Lower back: Stated by jcp2 in another Thread. People tending to neglect lower back seem to mostly focus on pulling & rowing while working back. None of those address the lower back & moreso the spinal erectors primarily. Deads, SLDL's, Power Cleans, & Hyperextensions will remedy that, but(with the exeption of hyperextensions) these lifts are taxing, and neglected mainly because you have to have heart and BALLS to perform them. Thus the neglect imo.

III. Tibs: Front of the lower leg. Same as doing tris & not bis, if you aren't doing them.

IV. Neck: Easy to neglect, if your gym has no Neck machine. I travel extra miles to go to a gym that has one. Neglecting this area can cause alot of probelms, as the traps and delts are developing strength. Given(if you neglect Neck) the fact that the Neck muscles have not been given adequate direct stimulation, they have to strain to support weights you have trained the delts & or the Traps to lift. Prime situation for an injury.

Those are the ones I see neglected the most. What do you guys think?

Interesting...you are right.
Myself do legs becuase my legs are REALLY skinny. Its freakin borring, but its really needed on me.
I do lower back too because my back is shitty. I need it for my health.
I do neck too...

Only thing i dont do is Tibs. I dont know how to do them?

Kim the Swede said:
Interesting...you are right.
Myself do legs becuase my legs are REALLY skinny. Its freakin borring, but its really needed on me.
I do lower back too because my back is shitty. I need it for my health.
I do neck too...

Only thing i dont do is Tibs. I dont know how to do them?

Your heels are placed at the edge of a box or platform, so that the front of the foot is able to hang over the edge of said platform. All you do then bro, are toe-raises. Let the toes descend below the edge of the box, then curl them back up towards the shin. Pause at the top SLIGHTLY, then immediately back down & up. These are best performed at a faster than normal pace, but within reason. Form is always first & foremost. I'm telling you, these will bring out the lines in the sides of your calves like nothing else. I usually will incorporate them as a SS with seated calf raises. I will do 2 sets of seated, with a nice 30-rep-burnout of toe raises(for tibs) after each set.

You are so right. It does suck to see people wasting their time and neglecting important bodyparts. The power rack at my gym is like any other, it gets used more for curls than squats. A lot of people that do squat use too much weight and go down 1/4 of the way to parallel. I cringe, but I don't correct them either. They don't want to be corrected.

Your posts sounds like my life story. My early neglect of my legs happened for pretty much exactly the same reasons that yours did, and at about the same time too (I graduated from high school in 1996).

In college, I lifted off and on, actually took some weightlifting classes taught by the strength coach for the football team, so stated to train legs. Then my lower back got screwed up good when I was riding a bike and got hit by a car. I was told never to lift again. When I finally figured out that I could, I thought I couldn't do anything that directly stressed the low back - no squats, deadlifts, hypers.

Thank god I finally figured out that was wrong too. Now I have less pain than ever due to a much stronger core.

I still think my legs must be genetically resistant to growth.

I probably should do something for the tibs and neck. Gold's in Venice CA has equipment to train those and I occasionally used it. My little gym in this small town at Tahoe doesn't, but I could at least do the raises you mentioned without weight.

Good thread.

Trevdog said:
You are so right. It does suck to see people wasting their time and neglecting important bodyparts. The power rack at my gym is like any other, it gets used more for curls than squats. A lot of people that do squat use too much weight and go down 1/4 of the way to parallel. I cringe, but I don't correct them either. They don't want to be corrected.

Your posts sounds like my life story. My early neglect of my legs happened for pretty much exactly the same reasons that yours did, and at about the same time too (I graduated from high school in 1996).

In college, I lifted off and on, actually took some weightlifting classes taught by the strength coach for the football team, so stated to train legs. Then my lower back got screwed up good when I was riding a bike and got hit by a car. I was told never to lift again. When I finally figured out that I could, I thought I couldn't do anything that directly stressed the low back - no squats, deadlifts, hypers.

Thank god I finally figured out that was wrong too. Now I have less pain than ever due to a much stronger core.

I still think my legs must be genetically resistant to growth.

I probably should do something for the tibs and neck. Gold's in Venice CA has equipment to train those and I occasionally used it. My little gym in this small town at Tahoe doesn't, but I could at least do the raises you mentioned without weight.

Good thread.

Actually, that "1986" wasn't a misprint. I am that old.:D:D

Back