Newb potentially starting TRT in the next few months. Advice?

I am sure they already have atrophied some. It will just gradually continue. It doesn't happen over night. 8 months from now you might notice that they seem smaller.

As for HCG benefits, let's see what Halfwit has to say. He was diagnosed as Primary and he used HCG.

Looking forward to hearing from Halfwit, thanks!

I just found that another result from my latest blood test popped up. My SHBG was 33 (Range: 11-80). A post on another website states that men with low SHBG end up not having great results from TRT. Has anyone heard this?

Would 33 fall into this category? (Hoping for a 'No' here).

^^^ I have a SHBG of 33 (13 - 90) as well. My doc made no mention of being concerned with me starting injections.

^^^ I have a SHBG of 33 (13 - 90) as well. My doc made no mention of being concerned with me starting injections.

Cool. I mean, 33 is definitely within range and even near(ish) the middle, so it should be fine. Just kinda freaked a bit when I read that it may affect TRT.

Wanted to update the thread. Did my first injection (100mg 1x per week) yesterday afternoon at the doctor's office with the nurse practitioner helping me out. The fun part was using a 20G needle to inject since CVS screwed up the original prescription and only gave me 18G needles. Anyway, the nurse couldn't find anything smaller than a 20G in the office, so I basically feel like I was donkey kicked in the quad - OK, so it's not that bad, but kinda hurt going in (that's what she said).

Injection was easy otherwise. The nurse said she would put in the next order for a 10ml vial (100 mg/ml) to make things easier, which was just dandy of her.

I'm sure it's just placebo, but I didn't feel terrible this morning (which happens quite frequently), and my morning wood game was on point. I'll take it!

My next follow up labs are to be done in 6-8 weeks. The weird thing is that the doc wants me to give a sample mid-"cycle", or 3-4 days after my injection on a 1x per week schedule. Is there a reason for this, or is he just being a dummy? It seems like most guys here are trying to figure out their peak and trough levels.

OK, so my doc prescribed 18G 1" for drawing, and 21G 1" for injections. I'll try to push him to prescribe 23G at least at my follow up, but at the moment I just want to buy some 23G needles to have on hand. The problem is that I went to 3 pharmacies so far (1 in NJ, 2 in NYC) and none of them had 23G needles in stock. I went to a big Duane Reade yesterday and they ordered a box of 23G 1" needles for me. When I came back today to pick them up the 100 count box came to $72. I ended up not buying them because that seemed like way too much. They also didn't have any 3cc syringes in stock.

Any advice is appreciated as to how to get the needles that I want. I can't order these online because I live in NJ where that is prohibited. Should I just keep trying different pharmacies? How much should I be paying for a 100 box of 23G 1"?

Actually, looking at RUI I'm not even sure now that it's illegal to order needles/syringes online in NJ. Does anyone know?

EDIT: Nevermind, the website stopped me at checkout. No dice.

OK, so my doc prescribed 18G 1" for drawing, and 21G 1" for injections. I'll try to push him to prescribe 23G at least at my follow up, but at the moment I just want to buy some 23G needles to have on hand. The problem is that I went to 3 pharmacies so far (1 in NJ, 2 in NYC) and none of them had 23G needles in stock. I went to a big Duane Reade yesterday and they ordered a box of 23G 1" needles for me. When I came back today to pick them up the 100 count box came to $72. I ended up not buying them because that seemed like way too much. They also didn't have any 3cc syringes in stock.

Any advice is appreciated as to how to get the needles that I want. I can't order these online because I live in NJ where that is prohibited. Should I just keep trying different pharmacies? How much should I be paying for a 100 box of 23G 1"?

I like Allegro Medical. Box of 100 for about $16. Although I prefer 25g. These were luer-lok so you can order a box of just needles too and swap them out.

Syringe - Becton Dickinson Syringe - Syringe Luer-Lok - Allegro Medical Supplies

Couple of questions for you guys:

1) I tried my most recent injection in my delt with a 23G 1" pin. Pinched going in, which is fine, but it actually burned a little when I started to push down the plunger. Is that normal? It's probably all in my head, but I feel like maybe I was too far in? Is it possible for a 1" pin to get too close to the humerus? I'm 6', 190 lbs. with decent shoulders - although, they aren't huge. My rotator cuff is kind of sore today, but I could have slept on it weird last night. It's not possible for the Test to have leaked into the joint or anything, right? (total newb injection anxiety)

2) Is it possible to do Z-track when self-injecting your delt? I tried to pull the skin down with the butt of my palm holding the needle, but couldn't really get much movement.

3) Whether or not it's placebo, I'm not sure, but I have been feeling like my energy levels have been dropping off around day 5 or 6 on a 1x per week injection schedule. Do you think I should stick it out until my next blood test in about 4 more weeks, or try switching to a 2x per week schedule now? I feel great otherwise during the first ~4 days after pinning.

1) I tried my most recent injection in my delt with a 23G 1" pin. Pinched going in, which is fine, but it actually burned a little when I started to push down the plunger. Is that normal? It's probably all in my head, but I feel like maybe I was too far in? Is it possible for a 1" pin to get too close to the humerus? I'm 6', 190 lbs. with decent shoulders - although, they aren't huge. My rotator cuff is kind of sore today, but I could have slept on it weird last night. It's not possible for the Test to have leaked into the joint or anything, right? (total newb injection anxiety)

2) Is it possible to do Z-track when self-injecting your delt? I tried to pull the skin down with the butt of my palm holding the needle, but couldn't really get much movement.

3) Whether or not it's placebo, I'm not sure, but I have been feeling like my energy levels have been dropping off around day 5 or 6 on a 1x per week injection schedule. Do you think I should stick it out until my next blood test in about 4 more weeks, or try switching to a 2x per week schedule now? I feel great otherwise during the first ~4 days after pinning.

Unless you are pretty far, you should not have to "bury" the 1" pin when doing delts.

I don't know how you could Z-Track delts while pinning one-handed. If you tried this you probably ended up moving the needle around a lot which can cause PIP.

Many of us prefer injecting every 3.5 days for more stable Hormone levels. I would recommend you try it now.

1) I tried my most recent injection in my delt with a 23G 1" pin. Pinched going in, which is fine, but it actually burned a little when I started to push down the plunger. Is that normal? It's probably all in my head, but I feel like maybe I was too far in? Is it possible for a 1" pin to get too close to the humerus? I'm 6', 190 lbs. with decent shoulders - although, they aren't huge. My rotator cuff is kind of sore today, but I could have slept on it weird last night. It's not possible for the Test to have leaked into the joint or anything, right? (total newb injection anxiety)...

I'm a Sally and use 29g 1/2" insulin syringes. I don't feel them, literally. I'm on a 3.5 day schedule myself.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll start every 3.5 days next week.

Another question. If I'm injecting Wednesday night & Sunday morning, and my doc wants my next blood to be drawn mid-"cycle"/mid-week when should I go? I don't want to go on the weekend because the lab is right next to my office which I don't live that close to. Would Friday morning work, even though that could be a peak, or should I find out if I can use an outside lab to go on Sunday morning?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll start every 3.5 days next week.

Another question. If I'm injecting Wednesday night & Sunday morning, and my doc wants my next blood to be drawn mid-"cycle"/mid-week when should I go? I don't want to go on the weekend because the lab is right next to my office which I don't live that close to. Would Friday morning work, even though that could be a peak, or should I find out if I can use an outside lab to go on Sunday morning?

I would go Wed afternoon before you inject.

I would go Wed afternoon before you inject.

Makes sense. Didn't want to have to deal with telling him I switched to a 3.5 day schedule since I did my first injection in the office on a Wednesday, but I guess I could always tell him I changed my weekly injection to Sundays. Although, he'd probably be fine with every 3.5 days.

Makes sense. Didn't want to have to deal with telling him I switched to a 3.5 day schedule since I did my first injection in the office on a Wednesday, but I guess I could always tell him I changed my weekly injection to Sundays. Although, he'd probably be fine with every 3.5 days.

I think you are worrying a bit too much. :)

No reasonable doctor will be upset that you are injecting more frequently if they understand how half lives work.

I think you are worrying a bit too much. :)

No reasonable doctor will be upset that you are injecting more frequently if they understand how half lives work.

That's one thing I hate about dealing with some doctors.

Not knowing if they are going to pull the ole you cant do that now go fuck off routine.

So I'm having some more newb paranoia. I was feeling around my pecs after reading about gyno last week. I've always suspected I had a very small amount of gyno - I've just never been 100% positive because the leanest I've been since I was a kid was probably around 14-15% body fat. Anyway, I did feel small pea/almond sized bumps under my nipples, and they've been pretty sensitive ever since. I just need to know - can TRT at 100mg/week irritate existing small gyno, or even exacerbate it? This past Wednesday would mark my 4th weekly injection. Or am I just being paranoid and it's most likely sensitive because I was pushing on it a bunch a week ago?

My e2 baseline before I started TRT was 19, so it wasn't crazy high before, so I'm thinking I'm being paranoid, but just wanted to be sure. I also switched to 50mg 2x per week this week to keep fluctuations to a minimum.

Last edited:
So I'm having some more newb paranoia. I was feeling around my pecs after reading about gyno last week. I've always suspected I had a very small amount of gyno - I've just never been 100% positive because the leanest I've been since I was a kid was probably around 14-15% body fat. Anyway, I did feel small pea/almond sized bumps under my nipples, and they've been pretty sensitive ever since. I just need to know - can TRT at 100mg/week irritate existing small gyno, or even exacerbate it? This past Wednesday would mark my 4th weekly injection. Or am I just being paranoid and it's most likely sensitive because I was pushing on it a bunch a week ago?

My e2 baseline before I started TRT was 19, so it wasn't crazy high before, so I'm thinking I'm being paranoid, but just wanted to be sure. I also switched to 50mg 2x per week this week to keep fluctuations to a minimum.

It can. Pre-TRT E2 levels are irrelevant now. You need to monitor your E2 while on TRT. It is of the utmost importance.

It can. Pre-TRT E2 levels are irrelevant now. You need to monitor your E2 while on TRT. It is of the utmost importance.

I have my next labs in about 3 weeks and follow up in 4. Should I think about trying to get a private blood test? I'm in a state that's requires a prescription. Or consider getting some ralox?

Back