Not enough Protein!!!! Your thoughts?

BiggerthanLavar

Damn!!! I can't seem to take in enough protein to build mass. I weigh 195 so I know I should take in just under 300gms a day. Problem is I already drink 3 Opt Nut. Whey shakes a day, I eat 6 or 7 small meals through out the day and I still cant' get to 300. Problem is I can't stuff any more plain chicken breast or tuna fish down my throat. Unless you weight over 250, It must be impossible to get your protein intake for the day w/o using more than 4 shakes. I'm going to go double on the shake servings and add another serving of tuna and see if I can stomach that.....

HOW THE HELL DO YOU GUYS GET YOUR 1.5-2gms per LB of body weight?

I am also 195, my personal opinion is that you don't need 2grams per lb of bodyweight, maybe it just me though, i make good gains at 1 - 1.2, i think protein is overrated, if you want to gain weight start eating some carbs and stop wasting your time and energy trying to stuff down protein, get 30 - 40 grams per meal (6-8 meals = 175 - 250 grams) thats plenty for me, otherwise EAT SOME CARBS and watch yourself grow, 400 - 600 carbs a day = 1600 - 2400 cal from carbs... cleans carbs only low or no sugar if possible... hope this helps, try it for 6 weeks and see how it works, everyone is different. I just gained 8 lbs in 6 weeks on a high carb moderate protein diet
stats: 197 5' 10" 8% 24yrs old...
good luck

oh yea dont forget your unsat fat 50-100 grams per day

i just saw your post on before and after pics, I take back what i said about your carb intake ( reason being) i am an ectomorph, you obviously arent after seeing your before pic... I would take a diff approach if i were you, stay on the diet your currently on, obvously it has been working, you have made an amazing transformation. you went from 260 to badass shape, i went from 140 to badass shape, were on two oposite ends of the spectrum anyway take what you can from my post, but i wouldnt' recommend 600 carbs a day for someone like you, good luck.

Last edited:
mass rookie said:
yo new guy shut up and stay out of my threads. with only 4 posts and all ready giving advice, who are YOU!

i thought this was lavars thread. who made you king tut. what you got little man syndrome whole 220lbs wet and wearin boots. What's your stats tough guy.

Remember to have some vegetables and fruit in your eating plan in order to have a somewhat OK PH balance in your body. If not you will be lacking important vitamins and minerals to help you keep your body fat low. You will also experience muscle loss, a bad nitrogen balance, lower IGF-1 secretion and so on.

Just a tip! It seems like everybody forget how a food react in your body, and too much acid will be made. (acid / alkaline balance is important to prevent diseases and keep your body healthy. To neutralize the acidic environment in the body it will use calcium from the bone, glutamine from the muscle and nitrogen from the protein to fix the balance. This can be checked by taking a urine test and see how much nitrogen, calcium and glutamine found in the urine. People are often tricked by a OK PH test , which only concludes that your body are working on the problem (your body should have a PH balance of 6.4).

mass rookie said:
yo new guy shut up and stay out of my threads. with only 4 posts and all ready giving advice, who are YOU!
Diet Forum badasses!! :laugh3:

As far as my protein intake goes, I usually get 120-150g a day from shakes(3) and another 170-200 from food (4). And thats while on my DIET! Your "small" meals must be really small.

Hardway said:
Remember to have some vegetables and fruit in your eating plan in order to have a somewhat OK PH balance in your body. If not you will be lacking important vitamins and minerals to help you keep your body fat low. You will also experience muscle loss, a bad nitrogen balance, lower IGF-1 secretion and so on.

Just a tip! It seems like everybody forget how a food react in your body, and too much acid will be made. (acid / alkaline balance is important to prevent diseases and keep your body healthy. To neutralize the acidic environment in the body it will use calcium from the bone, glutamine from the muscle and nitrogen from the protein to fix the balance. This can be checked by taking a urine test and see how much nitrogen, calcium and glutamine found in the urine. People are often tricked by a OK PH test , which only concludes that your body are working on the problem (your body should have a PH balance of 6.4).

I do have a pretty good size helping a sald per day. I'll usually add cut chicken breast to it or cut steak or tuna. I also take a good multi hopefully I'm not missing anything important.

Also, do you guys think it's ok to double up on the protein shake servings?

ectomorph said:
Diet Forum badasses!! :laugh3:

As far as my protein intake goes, I usually get 120-150g a day from shakes(3) and another 170-200 from food (4). And thats while on my DIET! Your "small" meals must be really small.

Well, yes, my meals are are small but I'm trying to cut as well as add some muscle mass. what are you eating food wise to get 170gms? Also, what shakes do you use to get 120-150g's?

mass rookie said:
so I guess all of his 81 posts makes him someone special.

BiggerthanLavar said:
Well, yes, my meals are are small but I'm trying to cut as well as add some muscle mass.

sorry to burst ur bubble bud but this is very hard to do. you have to focus on either a all in cut or straight out bulk.

im not understanding why ur finding it so hard to add in protein to ur meals. why dont u just wake up in the middle of the night and down another shake.

Do u eat steak?

Eat it or Beat it!!! said:
sorry to burst ur bubble bud but this is very hard to do. you have to focus on either a all in cut or straight out bulk.

im not understanding why ur finding it so hard to add in protein to ur meals. why dont u just wake up in the middle of the night and down another shake.

Do u eat steak?

I know it's hard to do both but to a certain extent I feel I can do it. I'm not trying to get ultra lean, I just want to be under 9-10% BF for this summer. I'm at about 16-15% right now. I do however want to add a good amount of mass. I know it would be more efficient to do an all out bulk but that just doesn't fit my goals right now. The all out bulk will come in the fall/winter of 05. I do eat steak/red meat although after revising my diet, I've found that I need to eat alot more if it. As far as the extra shake goes, I'll add one right before bed time but I just can't wake up in the middle of the night like that. I'm a light sleeper and all but I wouldn't be able to get back to bed.

BiggerthanLavar said:
I know it's hard to do both but to a certain extent I feel I can do it. I'm not trying to get ultra lean, I just want to be under 9-10% BF for this summer. I'm at about 16-15% right now. I do however want to add a good amount of mass. I know it would be more efficient to do an all out bulk but that just doesn't fit my goals right now. The all out bulk will come in the fall/winter of 05. I do eat steak/red meat although after revising my diet, I've found that I need to eat alot more if it. As far as the extra shake goes, I'll add one right before bed time but I just can't wake up in the middle of the night like that. I'm a light sleeper and all but I wouldn't be able to get back to bed.
so you want to go from 16-15% bodyfat to under 10 (caloric deficit) and add a "good amount of mass (caloric surplus). How are you going to do both at the same time? You cant eat too little and too many calories at the same time.

Eat slightly under your maintenence level for a couple months. Youre not going to be building any muscle during this time. If done proplerly though you can maintain the muscle you have, by not cutting your calories too drastically.

Once you get to a bodyfat your happy with, bump the calories up around 100-200 per week until you get to a few hundred calories over your maintenence level, or until your gaining about 1 pound a week. Any more than that is going to be mainly fat.

mass rookie said:

Last warning idiot........next time you open your big mouth and flame anyone, you will be BANNED.

Suareezay said:
so you want to go from 16-15% bodyfat to under 10 (caloric deficit) and add a "good amount of mass (caloric surplus). How are you going to do both at the same time? You cant eat too little and too many calories at the same time.

Eat slightly under your maintenence level for a couple months. Youre not going to be building any muscle during this time. If done proplerly though you can maintain the muscle you have, by not cutting your calories too drastically.

Once you get to a bodyfat your happy with, bump the calories up around 100-200 per week until you get to a few hundred calories over your maintenence level, or until your gaining about 1 pound a week. Any more than that is going to be mainly fat.

I'm hoping that even with a caloric deficit that I will be able to add mass because I'm taking in 1.5gms of protein per lb of body plus I'm keeping from doing to much cardio.

Need to stay clear of to much whey.the stuff will just clog you up.meaning less assimilation and your body will just crap it out if you eat to much protein.200 grams is all you need bro.EAT BANANAS AND GET HUGE.

mass,

these are for you big guy...

Whenever your ready to open your mouth again, post your pics.

Appreciate you looking out Stonecold... I think some of these guys think that just because they sit in this forum all day, they will magically become bigger... I choose to spend my time in the gym or the kitchen.

Oh yea, since i have them up, Some of you more "experienced" members, tell me what I need work on.. (looking at competing in Sherman, or Coleman classic sometime in 06-07) I have more pics if needed.. btw this is me on a 12 week bulk, usually i hold 2-3% less BF. All criticism is contructive.

Last edited:
1BdMfkr said:
mass,

these are for you big guy...

Whenever your ready to open your mouth again, post your pics.

Appreciate you looking out Stonecold... I think some of these guys think that just because they sit in this forum all day, they will magically become bigger... I choose to spend my time in the gym or the kitchen.

Oh yea, since i have them up, Some of you more "experienced" members, tell me what I need work on.. (looking at competing in Sherman, or Coleman classic sometime in 06-07) I have more pics if needed.. btw this is me on a 12 week bulk, usually i hold 2-3% less BF. All criticism is contructive.

Nice work bro, I'll critique you in the pictures forum.

jon emberlin said:
Need to stay clear of to much whey.the stuff will just clog you up.meaning less assimilation and your body will just crap it out if you eat to much protein.200 grams is all you need bro.EAT BANANAS AND GET HUGE.

This is gonna sound gross but I can see that my poop is the exact color of the whey powder.....I may tone it down a bit or at least try to get more protein from real food instead of from so much powder.

Back