Nylon and solvents

insaned

dungeon keeper
Will nylon filters handle Benzyl Benzoate and Benzyl Alcohol suspensions or can they react?

you mean solutions. and yes they will work fine. you only talking maybe 20-25% solvent for short ester gear tops.

mean solutions, yes!
I not 100% sure, but BA can alter a bit it's surface altought it's for long hours exposure. Can't find mutch about BB and PEG effects on nylon...
but it's true, max 20-25% of the final solution.

The reason of asking this is that osmolics have a syringe filter of nylon that's 0,1um.

you dont want to use a .1 youll be there all damn day and they will clog very quickly. .45 work very well.

plus of that 20% solvent only 2% is ba normally.

for that you are right, that would take a freaking time filtering through them...
although I would like to use one of dose just for peace of mind!
If i ever try one of 0,1 i'll post something here!

insaned said:
LMAO
I still have the hope that I have the pacience to see the filtering drop by drop. :insane2:

a 45 drips. a .1 clogs up quickly. shit big pharm companies only use .2.

i have used .2 with vacum filtration and its a lot slower than .45s

short ester gear with a .45 takes about 5 minutes to do 100ml using vacum. i havent tried the stericups so they prolly even faster as you have gravity working for ya too.

I can't imagine the time that will a 0,1 take...

I just have heard good things about stericup, my problem is that i have to get them overseas.. as I don't find any in europe, at least from millipore! They have some nice cheap 0,2 pvdf disposable cups!
maybe i join with another guy and just buy one, It's a bit more expensive but worths the money after some ml's as for the time wasted... and pacience!

a vacum pump and a beaker is all you need. works like a charm if you got a lot to make. if you only making 50 to 100ml batches the ol hand trick works fine.

PB, how do you use the vacuum pump to filter the solution in/from a beaker, without a stericup or similar??

Back