OK This may sound stupid

cool dude

BUT Im new at this and want to learn. A friend of mine wants to test the purity of some raws he got. I understand that for the reg lay person short of sending the brewed stuff to a lab the melting point would be the other way of telling. How exactly would u conduct that test. Do u put the powder in a solution b4 heating it or do u just put it in a beaker or something similar and then heat it to c at what temp it melts. Appreciate any opinions

If you put it in a solution the melting point will change. You want only powder (or liquid depending on the temperature) in a clean beaker. Then insert thermometer and slowly heat to ensure even heat distribution and accurate reading. That should get you very close as far as the melt test is concerned.

If you put it in a solution the melting point will change. You want only powder (or liquid depending on the temperature) in a clean beaker. Then insert thermometer and slowly heat to ensure even heat distribution and accurate reading. That should get you very close as far as the melt test is concerned.

Thanks Bob thats what I figured cz it only makes sense.

Thanks Bob thats what I figured cz it only makes sense.

The search is disabled right now or I would have hunted it down for you, but look for a thread from jstarks11 titled "my melt point protacol". It'll show you a cool way to test the melting point

The search is disabled right now or I would have hunted it down for you, but look for a thread from jstarks11 titled "my melt point protacol". It'll show you a cool way to test the melting point

Yes good call. I had read that some time ago and totally forgot about it. That's an experienced member's method and will work great for this.

Is this the only method to check if the powder is good?
Or is it possible to send it somewhere to

The melting point and smell/texture test is going to be the most realistic option for an average homebrewer. This still leaves a lot to be desired but it will tell you if your in the ballpark.

You used to could send it out to San Rafael Chemical Services in Utah for like $100 or so for each compound (that was until 2007 bust where the DEA revoked their license to work on controlled substances).

Nowadays, you would need to find a place that does gas chromatography or high performance liquid chromatography or better yet mass spectrometry to get a definitive answer. The most likely place one of these machines would be used is in a research setting such as those at major universities or R&D firms. Now you probably don't want to go around sending your fresh brewed felony to the local school lab. Which leaves you with limited options.

One is to find a place like San Rafael Chemical Services that will take in just about anything and let you know for relatively cheap and then tell all of us here about it so we can use them. :beertoast

Or you could pm infection on here. Sounds like he has access to the real deal.

Back