OT: Problem with Steroidology Website?

DrJMW said:
I did this just now..still just red x's and no pics (.gif files). Ironically, the problem started when I deleted cookies and temp internet files on Sunday. Again, any help would be appreciated. This is the only site where there is a problem.

Well doc this really sucks but it does not at all surprise me. I have seen this red x mystery time and time again and can't find a solution that works 100%. Clearing the cache often does it but here are the next steps I would recommend.

1. Follow the link below and install the latest edition of IE6. If you already have IE6, run the setup again anyway. It will install any updates\service packs that are not currently installed.
Internet Explorer 6 SP1

2. The next step if that does not work would be to run system restore (only on win xp) and restore to a previous date when you know it did work. Start->All Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Restore. Follow the on screen instructions from there.

3. If all else fails, you may have to fully remove and re-install Internet Explorer. WARNING: Once you remove Internet Explorer, you will no longer have a browser and thus will not be able to access the Internet to download one (unless you have a second browser installed). Make certain that you have a working setup file for IE6 before you uninstall anything (the one from the link above is fine but run it first to make sure it works). There should also be a backup copy of IE6setup in c:\windows\windows update setup files.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah and no offense to the bros that recommended it but I personally would not recommend running any third party history killers, washers, etc. These apps are all junk in my opinion and do nothing but waste valuable bandwidth and slow system performance. It's 1000 times quicker to load images that are saved locally on your hard drive than it is to download each and every one of them every time you open your browser and come to steroidology. It also makes the board run smoother because you are only downloading text when you visit the site which preserves valuable bandwith for other users and reduces hosting costs.

After exploring a hundred websites and only finding the problem here, I must conclude that the problem is with this website.

I'm having this problem too and it started just this week. I thought it was the proxy I use at work yet all my other sites I use the proxy with are working just fine.

I don't know bro but imho it's a problem with Microsoft Internet Explorer and/or Windows (download mozilla or netscape and see if it fixes it). Ya'll don't have to believe me if you don't want to but I seriously doubt anything was done on the server end that caused this to happen. I've had this happen on a different site and it was not all images but a lot of them would not load. I tried multiple things to fix the problem for several months and ended up reloading windows and it has worked fine ever since. I've also experienced it on this site with avatars not loading and even the little arrow buttons that take you to the first unread post not showing but the problem was only temporary. Just my experience though. Biggie's got the webmaster looking into it so I guess we will just wait and see.

It must be this site, for elitefitness.com and other boards are similiarly constructed--and they download fine. Again, this is the only site with a problem and it started when I deleted cookies and temp internet files.

It's a problem with the site bro, I guarantee it. I know what you're saying as I've seen this problem before when it's a browser issue. But this is server related as a bunch of people all started having the problem at the same time.

Also, it's not browser specific. Here's how it looks on Netscape right now.

I have the same problem. It was pretty easy to solve though..
It is not IE6, it is Norton Firewall that is the problem.. I disabled it and everything eworked fine again..
Maybe it is not avatars... It might be evil trojan horses!
Guess I'll just use some other firewall..

kalaspuff

It's not on the server end... It can happen if you're using an anonymous proxy with "Hide referrer information" option enabled... It works if you disable it, otherwise the anti-leech script interprets it as a leech attempt and doesn't allow you to download the pics...

Damn you're one smart mofo hhajdo.

The only thing I don't get though is why everyone started having this problem at the same time. I've always configured my proxy the same and never had a problem. I also don't have this problem when browsing any other boards with a proxy.

mvmaxx said:
Damn you're one smart mofo hhajdo.

The only thing I don't get though is why everyone started having this problem at the same time. I've always configured my proxy the same and never had a problem. I also don't have this problem when browsing any other boards with a proxy.

it was apparently a norton update snafu...since
we all started having the problem at the same time...

go to privacy control in norton internet
security and go to configure...then chose
custom level...and unclick the browser
privacy box...

exit from your browser and reopen ology
and it should be fixed...

bwood said:
it was apparently a norton update snafu...since
we all started having the problem at the same time...

go to privacy control in norton internet
security and go to configure...then chose
custom level...and unclick the browser
privacy box...

exit from your browser and reopen ology
and it should be fixed...

THIS IS THE SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM. WORKED LIKE A CHARM. THANKS.

Back