Phytoestrogens: foods to avoid by 3J

3J

Super Moderator
Phytoestrogens: Foods to Avoid as a Male Bodybuilder
By:3J
ww.3jsdiet.com

The human body has a complex endocrine system that regulates hormones in correlation with the sex of the individual. One of the important regulations that the male endocrine system controls is the testosterone to estrogen ratio. The definitive characteristics males develop come from testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (aka DHT). Testosterone plays the main role in male characteristics while DHT plays the secondary role. The male human body statistically likes to keep a 10 to 1 ratio of testosterone to estrogen. When there is an imbalance between these two hormones the body will try its best to make adjustments to enforce such a ratio. If your testosterone gets too high your body aromatizes testosterone to estrogen in an effort to keep the ratio, hence why aromatization in steroid users occur and there is a strong need for a selective estrogen receptor modulator or aromatase inhibitor while on cycle.

Phytoestrogens are estrogens that are not produced by the human body. They occur naturally in food sources that humans eat. Though Phytoestrogens are not truly “human estrogen,” they are xenoestrogens. Xenoestrogens are not chemically identical to human estrogen, but their similarities are so close that they can have an estrogenic effect on the human body. It’s important to note that these naturally occurring phytoestrogens are weaker versions of our human body’s estrogen. They have a much milder impact on the body. For the natural bodybuilder, a little bump in estrogen is not a bad thing. It promotes muscle growth and helps prevent injury. Most of the foods im about to list can safely be eaten regularly for the natural bodybuilder. The body’s endocrine system will easily regulate any xenoestrogens that have been consumed. Unfortunately, the same does not apply for the steroid user. One of the top priorities a steroid user has is estrogen control. High estrogen can cause a number of unwanted sides like bloat and erectile dysfunction. Here is a list of foods that naturally have higher phytoestrogens in them. Many of these foods have dense rich nutrients and should not be removed from your diet due to the fact that the good outweighs the possible rise in estrogen, I personally avoid soy and soy derived products due to its higher phytoestrogen content.

(list sourced from Wikipedia)
• Soybeans and soy products
• Tempeh
• Linseed (flax)
• Sesame seeds
• Wheatberries
• Fenugreek (contains diosgenin, but also used to make Testofen®, a compound taken by men to increase testosterone).
• Oats
• Barley
• Beans
• Lentils
• Yams
• Rice
• Alfalfa
• Mung beans
• Apples
• Carrots
• Pomegranates
• Wheat germ
• Rice bran
• Lupin
• Kudzu
• Coffee
• Licorice root
• Mint
• Ginseng
• Hops
• bourbon
• Beer
• Fennel
• Anise
• Red clover (sometimes a constituent of green manure).

Is there anywhere that gives their relative "badness" to each other? For example, is soy 200% that of flax while flax is only 110% that of rice.

Also, a balance of the bad of the food to the good it does. Just to get an idea of "well, I REALLY should avoid soy because the phytoestrogens outweigh the good, but it is not a bad thing to have rice since the good outweighs the phytoestrogens".

Phytoestrogens: Foods to Avoid as a Male Bodybuilder
By:3J
ww.3jsdiet.com

The human body has a complex endocrine system that regulates hormones in correlation with the sex of the individual. One of the important regulations that the male endocrine system controls is the testosterone to estrogen ratio. The definitive characteristics males develop come from testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (aka DHT). Testosterone plays the main role in male characteristics while DHT plays the secondary role. The male human body statistically likes to keep a 10 to 1 ratio of testosterone to estrogen. When there is an imbalance between these two hormones the body will try its best to make adjustments to enforce such a ratio. If your testosterone gets too high your body aromatizes testosterone to estrogen in an effort to keep the ratio, hence why aromatization in steroid users occur and there is a strong need for a selective estrogen receptor modulator or aromatase inhibitor while on cycle.

Phytoestrogens are estrogens that are not produced by the human body. They occur naturally in food sources that humans eat. Though Phytoestrogens are not truly ***8220;human estrogen,***8221; they are xenoestrogens. Xenoestrogens are not chemically identical to human estrogen, but their similarities are so close that they can have an estrogenic effect on the human body. It***8217;s important to note that these naturally occurring phytoestrogens are weaker versions of our human body***8217;s estrogen. They have a much milder impact on the body. For the natural bodybuilder, a little bump in estrogen is not a bad thing. It promotes muscle growth and helps prevent injury. Most of the foods im about to list can safely be eaten regularly for the natural bodybuilder. The body***8217;s endocrine system will easily regulate any xenoestrogens that have been consumed. Unfortunately, the same does not apply for the steroid user. One of the top priorities a steroid user has is estrogen control. High estrogen can cause a number of unwanted sides like bloat and erectile dysfunction. Here is a list of foods that naturally have higher phytoestrogens in them. Many of these foods have dense rich nutrients and should not be removed from your diet due to the fact that the good outweighs the possible rise in estrogen, I personally avoid soy and soy derived products due to its higher phytoestrogen content.

(list sourced from Wikipedia)
***8226; Soybeans and soy products
***8226; Tempeh
***8226; Linseed (flax)
***8226; Sesame seeds
***8226; Wheatberries
***8226; Fenugreek (contains diosgenin, but also used to make Testofen®, a compound taken by men to increase testosterone).
***8226; Oats
***8226; Barley
***8226; Beans
***8226; Lentils
***8226; Yams
***8226; Rice
***8226; Alfalfa
***8226; Mung beans
***8226; Apples
***8226; Carrots
***8226; Pomegranates
***8226; Wheat germ
***8226; Rice bran
***8226; Lupin
***8226; Kudzu
***8226; Coffee
***8226; Licorice root
***8226; Mint
***8226; Ginseng
***8226; Hops
***8226; bourbon
***8226; Beer
***8226; Fennel
***8226; Anise
***8226; Red clover (sometimes a constituent of green manure).

very interesting thank you for the post buddy.

i see it the other way around.. as natty having more of an issue then the aas user that is already controlling his estrogen due to use of aas. the aas would be the main factor and phyto be so minimal as to not see much impact. but in the natty it can through off testosterone levels and cause other issues. while if you are already on test and taking an AI, that to me sounds better.
only 2-3 things from that list I dont eat every day lol
I didnt know some of them had that though thats for sure!
thanks for the post buddy! : )

Great information! I too eat a lot from that list and did not know about the estrogen effects, except for soy.

i see it the other way around.. as natty having more of an issue then the aas user that is already controlling his estrogen due to use of aas. the aas would be the main factor and phyto be so minimal as to not see much impact. but in the natty it can through off testosterone levels and cause other issues. while if you are already on test and taking an AI, that to me sounds better.
only 2-3 things from that list I dont eat every day lol
I didnt know some of them had that though thats for sure!
thanks for the post buddy! : )

actually studies have shown that the body regulates it very well believe it or not.. lol

actually studies have shown that the body regulates it very well believe it or not.. lol

Do you mean to say that the body is actually smart enough to, you know, regulate hormonal fluctations from food based on thousands of years of careful evolution?

Shocking, its almost as if the body is not as dumb as most people seem to think it is.

Sorry 3J, couldn't resist - good article :)

Do you mean to say that the body is actually smart enough to, you know, regulate hormonal fluctations from food based on thousands of years of careful evolution?

Shocking, its almost as if the body is not as dumb as most people seem to think it is.

Sorry 3J, couldn't resist - good article :)
evolution is a farce, just remember that. Yes good read!

Great post, definitely never thought of this. Are there any studies you've seen verifying this, or is it more of a theory at this point?

Another great post 3J!!!

The coffee is the only thing that's kill'n me here... mines not black, but I make mine strong as fuck!!!

Back