Remove Fat From Ground Beef

reb85

Just like the subject says, I want to remove fat from ground beef. My food intake regimen calls for eating one sixth as much fat as protein. I buy 93/7 lean ground beef. If I rinse it with hot water after I brown it, will this get rid of significant fat? Anybody have numbers on what difference this can make? Also, can this wash out the good stuff (protein) as well?

I ask because I want something leaner than 93/7, but as it is, 93% lean is twice as expensive as 80% lean. Protein is expensive! Fat is cheap.

Thanks.

Cook it and then drain the fat--water and fat do not mix so rinsing it is ridiculous. Buy the leaner meat dollar per dollar it is cheaper.

I see your point. However, the reason for rinsing the meat is to carry the fat away, not to mix with it.

What do you mean, that leaner is cheaper? Where I'm from at least, 80% lean is under $2/lb and 93% lean is over $3/lb.

If you are draining off 20% of the weight then leaner is cheaper and water will not rinse fat it will spread it around. You need to learn how to cook there are some great easy cookbooks out there with healthy meals that are easy to prepare--watch the Food network--Rachel Ray makes simple healthy food, Giada De Laurentis is nice to look at, and you will learn to appreciate quality food. The very idea of rinsing hamburger is sinful and disrespectful to the dead cow it came from. Stop eating hamburger-try chicken, pork tenderloin, flank steaks, etc and you will find that keeping your diet lean is easier.

rinsing with water removes fat.

for the OP though, i wouldnt bother rinsing 93% lean gb, the amount of fat in it should be fine unless youre getting a lot of fat from other sources. My guess would be that whatever diet youre on calls for too little fat.

Last edited:
Suareezay said:
rinsing with water removes fat. Like usual, husky has no clue what hes talking about.

for the OP though, i wouldnt bother rinsing 93% lean gb, the amount of fat in it should be fine unless youre getting a lot of fat from other sources. My guess would be that whatever diet youre on calls for too little fat.

I know enough to not rinse hamburger with water--gross nobody who knows how to cook would ever rinse hamburger with water. And like usual you have jumped to an ignorant conclusion you are not very bright

rinsing gb is not gross. Rinsing in no way changes the texture, consistency, anything of the gb. I could lay out two bowls of gb, one rinsed and one not rinsed, and you couldnt distinguish between the two, other than maybe the fact that the unrinsed gb is more shiney.

yea, the rinsed beef will be slightly more bland in taste, but does anybody here eat with taste as their number one concern? no.

Last edited:
Rinsing your ground beef does reduce the fat. If you don't think so, give it a try and watch how much fat you can see going down the drain.

Yes, it does take away some of the taste, but who eats plain ground beef anyways? I always make mine into spaghetti sauce, taco's , etc

I but whole cuts of lean beef like eye round or whatever is lean and on sale. Then trim off all the visible fat then grind it myself. It's probably cleaner than commercial ground beef and I know exactly what is in it. I took my free turkey from work skinned it boned it and ground that for turkey burgers. You can make very lean sausage this way as well.

imo lean ground beef is cheaper than fatty ground beef . . i think the 20% fat is by volume not weight and fat is lighter than lean meat so A LOT of your meat is fat/wasted . its just as cheap and easier to buy the good stuff .
ps sams club runs some really good deals on lean meat around here .

BTW, does the G. Foreman grill make a difference?

I already have one, but wondered what the consensus was on them. From looking at the drip pan it seems to do something.

bingo_soothes said:

I already have one, but wondered what the consensus was on them. From looking at the drip pan it seems to do something.
it probably helps, seeing as the meat isnt sitting in its own juices/fats/whatever, but rinsining foreman-cooked meat would still lower the fat content.

bingo_soothes said:

If you live in an apt........Yes it is the REAL DEAL :afro:

Bison?Good taste??
Fucked up but the best FOOD per/100g is Horse meat!!!

Suareezay said:
rinsing gb is not gross. Rinsing in no way changes the texture, consistency, anything of the gb. I could lay out two bowls of gb, one rinsed and one not rinsed, and you couldnt distinguish between the two, other than maybe the fact that the unrinsed gb is more shiney.

yea, the rinsed beef will be slightly more bland in taste, but does anybody here eat with taste as their number one concern? no.

Buy a spagetti strainer at a Dollar store!

Rinsing your ground beef with water will rinse away the majority of the free oily fat that has been cooked out of the meat. Sorry husky you dead wrong.

parrish said:
If you live in an apt........Yes it is the REAL DEAL :afro:

Bison?Good taste??
Fucked up but the best FOOD per/100g is Horse meat!!!

Bison meat is very good. I usually have my girl make a bunch of meat balls with the meat and I'll eat about 4-5 meatballs for a meal. Extremely convienient and easy. Makes getting 7 meals a lot easier. Just take the meatballs and nuke them a bit. She'll stuff cloves of garlic in them as well for a bit of a surprise every now and then. YUMMY!

Back