Rotator Cuff Partial Tear !! Thoughts ??

Transporter

Well just got the results of my MRI and there is three partial tears on my rotator cuff. They said on how the tears have been there from before and just gotten worse and on how this is not a new injury. Any of you guys gone through it ?? Let it heal on it's own or get the surgery done ?? Any thoughts or opinions please share ....Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I had the same injury. I had my mri done about 15 months ago. Then i got sent to my orthopedic surgeon. And he decided to go with a 80% cortisone shot. Unfortunately I don't remember what the other 20% was. After a couple days of pain from the injection. My shoulder was pain free I couldn't believe how well it worked. Then two months later the pain was coming back and the surgeon said it was time to do surgery. I told him to do another injection. He advised against it because the shot if done to frequently can weaken the tendon or ligament i forget which one. I kind of pleaded with him because surgery wasn't an option because i would of had to take six weeks off work. So he finally gave in and said i needed physical therapy if he gives me another injection. Because my muscles got weak from avoiding basically everything with my left arm. And here i am 13 months later and no more pain. I've been back in the gym for over five months no pain.
I guess what I'm trying to say is avoid surgery if possible. Talk to your orthopedic about injections and physical therapy.

Good luck i know you're in pain my hurt so bad it was hard to sleep.
I couldn't even use my left arm to raise a gallon of milk to drink from it hurt so bad!!!!!

A guy I work with just got surgery. Been 7 months and he's still not right. Feel bad for him. Has difficulty doing simple things.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your input. They also sending me to an orthopedic but feel the same as you about the surgery. Going to have to try whatever I can not to get it done. Anon44, same exact here man. Pain was really bad and affected my sleep and all but it's gotten to get a little better since it's been 6 weeks now and my primary doc gave me a cortizone shot in the front already. I am gonna try to see if I can get another cortizone shot but just like you said, they are not too thrilled to give them to you. Thanks again.

i tore my cuff.. i mean REALLY fucked it up bad, where i had no strength in it and couldn't raise my arm above shoulder level.. had anterior instability for years afterwards, been only last couple years i could do flat bench without the joint instability making it feel like i would dislocate my shoulder just using a pressing motion with anything over 135 lbs.. i had to use incline bench and military presses, cables and flys, worked at it patiently to rebuild strength in the joint to where my shit didn't feel like it would pop out from a pressing motion when flat on my back

and i just hit 3 plates for 3 reps , so it can get better - you're just going to have to be patient and dedicated brother.. your body going to heal on its own timeline, so don't set any kind of time frame on when you will " decide" you're better , work patiently and feel out your progress.. train aroun the injury and give it time, it will get better

after i fucked my shit up, spent a great deal of time researching and talking to people who had the surgery done and most of them still had to rehab their shoulder for full year afterwards- i don't recommend the surgery at all, a last resort after time/ physical therapy has been given 6 mos- a year to work

let it heal brother, then work on range of motion/ light stretching

i rehabbed a torn cuff for a full year, acupunture and massage helped me get to a place where i could use range of motion/ stretching to help improve stability in the joint, then finishing with PT using 5 lb dumbbells and cable machine at 10 lbs

look up rotator cuff exercises on the web, the info is out there

no heavy weight, even when comfortable and healthy.. just good range of motion and lots of warm up and stretching

for you guys without shoulder problems, look up rotator cuff exercises and hit that shit periodically as part of a warm up. when your lateral and anterior delts greatly overpower your rear delts ( which ends up being the case for just about any sport, not just weight lifting) you're flirting with tearing your cuff because of the musculature / strength imbalance

ounce of prevention worth pound of cure, rotator injuries fucking suck..

excuse the typos , sent from my phone

best of luck brother, bronson

i tore my cuff.. i mean REALLY fucked it up bad, where i had no strength in it and couldn't raise my arm above shoulder level.. had anterior instability for years afterwards, been only last couple years i could do flat bench without the joint instability making it feel like i would dislocate my shoulder just using a pressing motion with anything over 135 lbs.. i had to use incline bench and military presses, cables and flys, worked at it patiently to rebuild strength in the joint to where my shit didn't feel like it would pop out from a pressing motion when flat on my back

and i just hit 3 plates for 3 reps , so it can get better - you're just going to have to be patient and dedicated brother.. your body going to heal on its own timeline, so don't set any kind of time frame on when you will " decide" you're better , work patiently and feel out your progress.. train aroun the injury and give it time, it will get better

after i fucked my shit up, spent a great deal of time researching and talking to people who had the surgery done and most of them still had to rehab their shoulder for full year afterwards- i don't recommend the surgery at all, a last resort after time/ physical therapy has been given 6 mos- a year to work

let it heal brother, then work on range of motion/ light stretching

i rehabbed a torn cuff for a full year, acupunture and massage helped me get to a place where i could use range of motion/ stretching to help improve stability in the joint, then finishing with PT using 5 lb dumbbells and cable machine at 10 lbs

look up rotator cuff exercises on the web, the info is out there

no heavy weight, even when comfortable and healthy.. just good range of motion and lots of warm up and stretching

for you guys without shoulder problems, look up rotator cuff exercises and hit that shit periodically as part of a warm up. when your lateral and anterior delts greatly overpower your rear delts ( which ends up being the case for just about any sport, not just weight lifting) you're flirting with tearing your cuff because of the musculature / strength imbalance

ounce of prevention worth pound of cure, rotator injuries fucking suck..

excuse the typos , sent from my phone

best of luck brother, bronson

Thanks bud, I really appreciate your words of wisdom!! Going to have to take one day at the time and see where it goes. I have also heard of people taking peptides for a quick healing/recovery. Any experience with that ??

Back